Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
FYI: if you are changing CVT fluid, I would highly suggest to buy the Toyota FE CVT one. That one is made in Japan and could probably be synthetic. The one I recently put in my car is the Aisin one and I feel like the car isn’t as smooth as it was before.

67$ for 4qts of Toyota CVT FE
7$ per qt at rock auto for Aisin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,444 Posts
I'm still not certain about the warranty that is on the new transmission that was installed and has now failed. Is it covered for 60k miles?
That very topic should be addressed in OP's warranty booklet. IIRC, my '15 warranty provides that replacements under warranty are warranteed for the balance of the applicable original factory warranty, or 12/12 (the general repair warranty), whichever is later/longer.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,577 Posts
FYI: if you are changing CVT fluid, I would highly suggest to buy the Toyota FE CVT one. That one is made in Japan and could probably be synthetic. The one I recently put in my car is the Aisin one and I feel like the car isn’t as smooth as it was before.

67$ for 4qts of Toyota CVT FE
7$ per qt at rock auto for Aisin

I agree. I wouldn't use anything but the Toyota CVT fluid. My son-in-law has a 2018 Corolla iM CVT and when the time comes I'll help him change it. My daughter wanted to get a 6-speed MT since she loves driving a MT but he didn't want her to teach him. 🤦‍♂️:unsure::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Joseph Juguilon

·
Registered
519 Posts
That very topic should be addressed in OP's warranty booklet. IIRC, my '15 warranty provides that replacements under warranty are warranteed for the balance of the applicable original factory warranty, or 12/12 (the general repair warranty), whichever is later/longer.
so basically his new transmission was covered till his car hit 60k. giving him only 10-11k miles on it..
well i hope Toyota takes care of him.

·
1,444 Posts
That's not what I wrote. The last third of my second sentence is really pretty clear.

I'm not swearing that's what his warranty says, but I now it's not what I wrote.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That's not what I wrote. The last third of my second sentence is really pretty clear.

I'm not swearing that's what his warranty says, but I now it's not what I wrote.
"provides that replacements under warranty are warranteed for the balance of the applicable original factory warranty"
this is what i read. i guess i don't follow what you are saying then.

whatever happens, i just hope toyota takes care of him. Ted, i feel we got off on the wrong foot on this thread, i respect all the advice you have given and appreciate you being apart of this conversation. not many people get on these chat boards and give good advice these days. but on this board, i've been helped a lot buy people like you, so thank you for helping people and sharing your talents.

·
1,444 Posts
You followed fine, you just stopped reading at that point, a comma. Finish reading the sentence...it's only another ten words or so.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
iggzee, reading your timeline, looks good. actually you brought up something i have a question on. something about a warranty of the new transmission that was put in. original warranty of the car was 60k miles, once the transmission was replaced with a new one, does that give the new transmission a similar warranty?

one thing you should outline in your document is what specifically you feel Toyota should do. you have the supporting information that illudes to it, but outlining what you want them to do (without emotion).
rich_d - when I got my transmission replaced at the dealership, I believe the warranty was extended until 100,000. But my car broke down at 101,000. Just on this technicality alone they're washing their hands clean; both the dealership and potentially Corporate will do the same "Well, it's at 101, we can't help."

Anyway, I added a few things to what I am about to say with your suggestion on what I feel they should do. Here it is. I need an objective eye to take a look at this and see how it feels and reads to them. SuperchargedMR2, what do you think?

At this point, I am seeking official help from Toyota as I do not believe the dealership at which my transmission repairs were made is going to help me as they want me to pay for a costly diagnostic just to figure out what is wrong and then possibly replace a transmission once again. This help would mean Toyota Corporate looking into the issue of my second transmission breakdown and seeing what they can do to help in getting my car back up and running. To those I have talked to, it seems that this is a particular issue and everyone is surprised that I am experiencing this as Toyota Corollas are built to be durable and long lasting - not in my case. I have either received a faulty vehicle when I bought it, with problems that are only now surfacing years later or both transmissions were lemons to begin with. I am seeking some help in alleviating the stress and time lost that this cost me to try and repair the car.

·
Registered
519 Posts
rich_d - when I got my transmission replaced at the dealership, I believe the warranty was extended until 100,000. But my car broke down at 101,000. Just on this technicality alone they're washing their hands clean; both the dealership and potentially Corporate will do the same "Well, it's at 101, we can't help."

Anyway, I added a few things to what I am about to say with your suggestion on what I feel they should do. Here it is. I need an objective eye to take a look at this and see how it feels and reads to them. SuperchargedMR2, what do you think?
its good to let Toyota know what you are asking them to do, and letting them know that you feel the dealership possibly didn't install it correctly because it should last much longer than 51k miles.
looks good. good luck with corporate and keep pleasant and level headed with them, it should help in dealing with them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Saw this price on line at a local dealer site for a new CVT

·
1,444 Posts
Yup. Conicelli shows it for $4531. And another $600+ if you want to replace the converter too.

·
Registered
112 Posts

You left this information out of your original post. Toyota gave you a 50K+ mile warranty on the second CVT and you were 1K miles beyond that warranty period when it failed? I don't get it.... Are you expecting the dealer to provide another new replacement CVT free of charge?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
You left this information out of your original post. Toyota gave you a 50K+ mile warranty on the second CVT and you were 1K miles beyond that warranty period when it failed? I don't get it.... Are you expecting the dealer to provide another new replacement CVT free of charge?
No there is no leaving out of the information - as you can see I've been pretty transparent. What I do intend to do is find out if there was 1. Bad repair work done on the transmission and 2. Find out why my second transmission failed.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,577 Posts

I think that sounds good. I would also lay out what you want Corporate to do for you. Toyota sells Corollas because they last a very long time. Having 2 new CVT's fail around 50k miles is unacceptable. Something along the way has not been done properly. If you want a replacement CVT then let them know in a nice way.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think that sounds good. I would also lay out what you want Corporate to do for you. Toyota sells Corollas because they last a very long time. Having 2 new CVT's fail around 50k miles is unacceptable. Something along the way has not been done properly. If you want a replacement CVT then let them know in a nice way.
and if toyota covers it don't have the same dealership replace your transmission. get another one to do it. it is worth the cost having it towed to another one in my opinion

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Talked to Corporate in a calm and measured manner. Case was created and by tomorrow 11am I should be getting a call back from one of their higher seniors who are the ones that wield the power to take care of my problem once they investigate and talk to me about what issues I'm having with.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Talked to Corporate in a calm and measured manner. Case was created and by tomorrow 11am I should be getting a call back from one of their higher seniors who are the ones that wield the power to take care of my problem once they investigate and talk to me about what issues I'm having with.
And you have done your homework to gather needed information. i hope things go well. just point out that a transmission shouldn't die so soon, especially when change intervals for the fluid are 60k miles in harsh conditions. stay level headed and look for options as you talk with them.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If they offer you a new car, get a Hatch manual lol

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,577 Posts
and if toyota covers it don't have the same dealership replace your transmission. get another one to do it. it is worth the cost having it towed to another one in my opinion
Good point, I would do this too.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts