Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,771 Posts
Talked to Corporate in a calm and measured manner. Case was created and by tomorrow 11am I should be getting a call back from one of their higher seniors who are the ones that wield the power to take care of my problem once they investigate and talk to me about what issues I'm having with.
Good for you. It sounds like you started this off on the right foot with corporate. Toyota makes plenty of money so should make this right with you.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,771 Posts
And you have done your homework to gather needed information. i hope things go well. just point out that a transmission shouldn't die so soon, especially when change intervals for the fluid are 60k miles in harsh conditions. stay level headed and look for options as you talk with them.
And between all of use this is why I always recommend fluid changes for a transmission from 30k-50k miles. Transmissions are expensive as we all know, fluid changes are not in comparison.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,771 Posts
Hatch only. 100% parts from Japan, compared to sedan which is only few % from Japan. That’s just me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got a 2009 Corolla S 5MT that was built in CA but many parts are from Japan and I have a 2017 Corolla iM 6MT that was built in Japan 100%. Both have been fantastic cars. I understand what you mean but I also love the look of the sedan and you can get a sunroof with it. I trust Toyota that they have high enough standards that they put things together with similar quality no matter where it's built. That being said, I do have a sense of pride that my 2017 Corolla iM 6MT was built in Japan along with my 2006 Scion xB 5MT, 2017 RAV4 XLE AWD, 2010 Prius, and 1989 Supercharged MR2 5MT. I don't think about it much but 5 of my 6 cars were born and built in Japan. :love:

·
Registered
19 Posts
These new transmissions don’t have pressure plates with friction materials that wear and are released into the oil, therefore oil lifespan is greatly extended to the point of not needing replacement.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,771 Posts
These new transmissions don’t have pressure plates with friction materials that wear and are released into the oil, therefore oil lifespan is greatly extended to the point of not needing replacement.
All fluids break down. Even the CVT fluid has a detergent package with other additives that allow the transmission parts to stay in good operating condition. It's important to replace and replenish the additive package with fresh fluid so that the transmission does work properly for a very long time.

Reactions: rich_d

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
iggzee, any update?
I missed the call but a message was left by a case manager. So I called back minutes ago speaking to an agent who looked at the case and said case was closed (yet an investigation was started with a service manager at the dealership I repaired at). I told him to get the case manager to call back. Apparently they are standing by the "60,000" warranty lapse but I'm not going to take that so I'll update you guys when I speak to the manager. If they won't help I'll start crafting a letter to Japanese headquarters, straight to the CEO.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I missed the call but a message was left by a case manager. So I called back minutes ago speaking to an agent who looked at the case and said case was closed (yet an investigation was started with a service manager at the dealership I repaired at). I told him to get the case manager to call back. Apparently they are standing by the "60,000" warranty lapse but I'm not going to take that so I'll update you guys when I speak to the manager. If they won't help I'll start crafting a letter to Japanese headquarters, straight to the CEO.
we are cheering for you. just keep level headed through this whole thing. it will get you so much farther.
if it comes to it, and you live near someone on this board who is handy, it isn't very difficult to change out the transmission.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,771 Posts
Good luck. I hope that you can just get it taken care of quickly. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to speak to a case manager.

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,513 Posts
This situation reminds me of a truck I bought new in 2003. In 18 months, the truck went to the dealer 7 times. When the issues first started, I had roughly 18k. Eventually, the manufacturer took the truck back under the lemon law in california. They tried to tell me that I was past the cooling off period. But I stuck to my research and told them it was a safety issue.

Op, you might be able to tell toyota that it's a safety issue. As in any situation, if the trans drops out of the chassis at any speed, you or someone else on the road will get hurt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Spoke to the case manager yesterday, she contacted the desk clerk - or whatever their title is - of the person at the front desks of dealerships when you take it in for the service. Also she said she will be contacting a Regional manager who will be "investigating" the case at the dealership. I asked her for the name of this Regional manager so I could talk to him and he can hear my side but she said it's not in their policy to give away names. That they conduct these investigations without talking to the client. That was the first red flag for me and I told her this. She said the Regional manager will go off by "facts" - whatever that means. How do they conduct this without speaking to me directly?

Anyway, Case manager is going to call me back in the afternoon. I'll keep you updated. But I'm honestly thinking of jumping the gun and telling the case manager that I already know the outcome is going to be that they'll just close the case since their investigation won't even concern my side and ask her for my options in escalating it further. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
This situation reminds me of a truck I bought new in 2003. In 18 months, the truck went to the dealer 7 times. When the issues first started, I had roughly 18k. Eventually, the manufacturer took the truck back under the lemon law in california. They tried to tell me that I was past the cooling off period. But I stuck to my research and told them it was a safety issue.

Op, you might be able to tell toyota that it's a safety issue. As in any situation, if the trans drops out of the chassis at any speed, you or someone else on the road will get hurt.
Hmm, this actually is a good point. When the transmission died the second time I was going at least 40 on a road and it suddenly just stalled with cars right behind me. If there was no light at which this problem literally happened I'd not only have the transmission to deal with that night but a car rear-ending me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Spoke to the case manager yesterday, she contacted the desk clerk - or whatever their title is - of the person at the front desks of dealerships when you take it in for the service. Also she said she will be contacting a Regional manager who will be "investigating" the case at the dealership. I asked her for the name of this Regional manager so I could talk to him and he can hear my side but she said it's not in their policy to give away names. That they conduct these investigations without talking to the client. That was the first red flag for me and I told her this. She said the Regional manager will go off by "facts" - whatever that means. How do they conduct this without speaking to me directly?

Anyway, Case manager is going to call me back in the afternoon. I'll keep you updated. But I'm honestly thinking of jumping the gun and telling the case manager that I already know the outcome is going to be that they'll just close the case since their investigation won't even concern my side and ask her for my options in escalating it further. What do you guys think.
well the facts are that these transmissions should not be dead at 50k miles.

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,513 Posts
That's very true. It could very well be that internally the band has slack and is not able to maintain tension. CVT is still too new, but it's rearing it's ugly head. It's not off to a great start.

It is a safety hazard. Others on the road would not know that the vehicle was disabled until it's too late. OP can express their safety concerns. In my experience, my truck was a dumpster fire. If toyota refuses, then op will have to decide if it's worth to repair it or sell it.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,771 Posts
In this day and age no transmission should be dead at 50k miles, and yet it's happened to the OP not once, but twice!! :poop:😡🥵

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,771 Posts
That's very true. It could very well be that internally the band has slack and is not able to maintain tension. CVT is still too new, but it's rearing it's ugly head. It's not off to a great start.

It is a safety hazard. Others on the road would not know that the vehicle was disabled until it's too late. OP can express their safety concerns. In my experience, my truck was a dumpster fire. If toyota refuses, then op will have to decide if it's worth to repair it or sell it.
I think that this is a very important point that is often overlooked.

Reactions: rich_d

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Just got off the phone with the case manager again - after their 'investigation' they basically told me "good luck, we're not paying for the diagnostics". Basically it's going to be out of pocket for me and if they find something wrong with it - it will get 'reviewed' again (which I highly doubt) - so I mentioned the safety hazard issue, again doesn't concern them but I asked I wanted to escalate so I was given an address to their "Executive Office" in Texas.

This is incredibly frustrating - they are simply not interested. Case manager was like "If you don't like the repairs you can try a different dealership" - it's as if everything is going on deaf ears. They won't listen or accept my 'research' that I shared here, they give "I understand" responses when I share details and quote them official Toyota documents. It's typical corporate bureaucracy.

I intend to write a formal letter of complaint and mention the safety hazard at this point. Am I being irrational now for not wanting to shell out 500$ for a diagnostic? At this point I can either go on with this formal letter and wait or just get the car repaired at some independent body shop.

81 - 100 of 118 Posts