Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of bike rack would you recommend? I have been shopping around for a bike racks.

Toyota has them but they are 350$(Cdn) which is a bit too much for me. I"m looking at the racks from Canadian Tire...but i don't like the type that goes "lies" on your trunk...cause i think that 'll wreck my car's paint even though they hav those protector thing. so i'm stuck with hitches. Anyone know which type of bike rack to use? Are THule good quality bike racks? any suggestion would be appreciated.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I have one that you put into a ball mount for a trailer hitch.. worked on the benz, another option would be a roofrack.

·
Still got love 4 the AE92
489 Posts
Go to a bike store and get one there. If your car isn't lowered, you can get away with one that straps onto the trunk. You can put foam tape on the metal hooks so it doesn't scratch. They're definately strong enough - I've been using one to haul my bike for the last 2 years and never had a problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't like racks that obstruct my rear view. Go for a roof rack. Yakima makes great racks, but they are spendy. I have one on my Corolla, and it is great. Regards, Aaron

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
I got mine from Toyota. It's a perfect fit for my Corolla since it was designed for Corolla. No welding to frame required. Four bolts into the special pre-existing holes in the frame and voila. Done. No problems with it scraping the ground when lowered.

Now I bought the hitch WITHOUT the wiring harness. That saves money. I also didn't buy the ball (since it's for bikes only).

Towing Hitch Bike Adaptor - holds 3 bikes ("Hidden Hitch" branded)
p/n C0325-12021
$185

Towing Hitch - Class I (can be bought separately - Toyota Branded)
p/n: C0325-12020
$150

Wire Harness and Converter (can be bought separately and not needed if you're just using the hitch for a bike rack)
08921-02010-DC
$150

If Toyota installs it, then make sure they quote you a proper estimate for installation. They quote 1.50 hours but that includes installation of the hitch AND wiring harness (which is where the bulk of the time is). I paid $40 to a dealer have mine installed and properly torqued. I probably could have paid less tho but I was desperate at the time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Rolla-xrs, how many bike can you carry?
you mentioned you didn't buy the ball, what exactly is that?..also what is the converter on the towing hitch? thanks!

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Oh crap! That converter comment is a typo and shouldn't exist (hence removed). I believe the convertor is this wire harness "box" that you attach to the underside of your car - sort of like an electrical socket. Makes it easier to manage wires since they're modular - no dangling wires. ;)

I can carry 3 bikes. Checkout my CarDomain page in my sig...there might be a partial picture with it shown.

The ball is just that. A ball attached to a steel post that you insert into your hidden hitch. You see, the Toyota hitch that attaches to your car is just a heavy steel crossbar with a square peg-hole in the middle. You can put anything in that peg-hole...a bike rack...ski rack...or a ball. The ball would be if you had a trailer and wanted to carry your Sea-Do from lake to lake.

If you're in the Toronto area, PM me and I can show you in person.

·
Registered
4runner
682 Posts
go for the roof mounted rack. that trunk one is kind of dumbe and gets it the way of your view fromthe rear window

·
Registered
105 Posts
Based on my research a class 1 hitch can only handle a max of 3 bikes. I have had both roof and hitch style racks I recommend the hitch. I know it blocks the view but that simply means you have do something you likely haven't done since writing your drivers exam, use the side mirrors!!! :lol:

·
Still got love 4 the AE92
489 Posts
I can still see out of my rear view mirror even with 3 full out downhill bikes... It might be a little weird at first but you can still see good enough, and like previously stated, you still have your side mirrors.

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone have against trunk racks? I think I've pretty much put mine through the ultimate tests and it's survived no prob. My bike also weighs close to 50 pounds...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just don't like the idea of putting it on the car. Scratching the paint etc. I know if your careful etc. But it's just easier to have a trailer hitch style. You can still get in the trunk for one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i'm scared that they would scratch the paint...even with those pads underneath..they can slide off and do a good number on you!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I got mine from Toyota. It's a perfect fit for my Corolla since it was designed for Corolla. No welding to frame required. Four bolts into the special pre-existing holes in the frame and voila. Done. No problems with it scraping the ground when lowered.

Now I bought the hitch WITHOUT the wiring harness. That saves money. I also didn't buy the ball (since it's for bikes only).

Towing Hitch Bike Adaptor - holds 3 bikes ("Hidden Hitch" branded)
p/n C0325-12021
$185

Towing Hitch - Class I (can be bought separately - Toyota Branded)
p/n: C0325-12020
$150

Wire Harness and Converter (can be bought separately and not needed if you're just using the hitch for a bike rack)
08921-02010-DC
$150

If Toyota installs it, then make sure they quote you a proper estimate for installation. They quote 1.50 hours but that includes installation of the hitch AND wiring harness (which is where the bulk of the time is). I paid $40 to a dealer have mine installed and properly torqued. I probably could have paid less tho but I was desperate at the time.
Price is not bad. Do you have pics? I'm thinking of picking up the Class 1 hitch and the bike rack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts