Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of doing something different with the color of my corolla. Four years ago when I started on it I sprayed it in "hot rod" black, not spray can flat black either, I had planned to keep it that way but over the past few years where I live flat back has become pretty popular. I hate to say I started the trend here but I was the first around.

I did it to be different and at this point thats completely out the window so I've been thinking about something else even more "different"

What do you guys think about a flat khaki car with flat black wheels?

Here is a picture of a khaki civic to give you an idea of the color.

·
Rawr!
1988 Corolla Sedan
82 Posts
I'm thinking of doing something different with the color of my corolla. Four years ago when I started on it I sprayed it in "hot rod" black, not spray can flat black either, I had planned to keep it that way but over the past few years where I live flat back has become pretty popular. I hate to say I started the trend here but I was the first around.

I did it to be different and at this point thats completely out the window so I've been thinking about something else even more "different"

What do you guys think about a flat khaki car with flat black wheels?

Here is a picture of a khaki civic to give you an idea of the color.

Personally I don't really like the Khaki Tan/Brown colour...it reminds me of road salt on a dirty car! Either that or an army truck or something...not really fitting in my opinion. It certainly is different though. Primer grey is another 'different' option that I think looks better than tan...but that's just me. If you really want to make your flat black job stand out, plaster your car in cool company decals and stuff to make it look all barebones track style. That's what I like to do with my flat black rat racer kinda projects.

I think a deep red would be really nice. Not a flashy bright red; but a nice deep red with purple hues in it to darken it up would be pretty sexy.

There is a guy on here with an AE92 hatchback that has a nice marooney/red that I'm in love with :thumbsup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car was flat grey primer to begin with, but I painted it with "hot rod" black. It wasn't primer, but actually flat black paint.

I plan to stick with a flat color though, I don't want it to be glossy. and I'd never own a red car I dont think. Red or maroon stands out in all the wrong ways in my opinion.

Any opinions on other flat colors?

Such as olive drab green?

Or even flat white?

·
Rawr!
1988 Corolla Sedan
82 Posts
I certainly understand what you're sayin'. I don't really like heavy glosses either. I do however like metallic glosses if they are deep colours and not some bright thing.

All of my motorcycles are flat colours like rat/cafe racer kinda thing. I really like that style.

If you're looking for something different, but want to go with a flat, I'd say almost anything would be cool. Even a green colour like you said would look pretty neat in a flat paint in my opinion. I like white cars, but flat white seems like it probably wouldn't work too well. It would look almost the same as a gloss white and kinda chalky.

What about a rich, flat purple? If you're comfortable driving a purple car, that is...I'm talking like eggplant purple...or a flat blue?

In all honesty, I still think that flat black is the way to go...but if you have to get a colour there are so many different options...I barely would know where to start!

Please post some pictures when you get started on it :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought of the purple, I even thought of making my own color that was sort of a "blurple" Blue-purple color.

I will do some checking and see what is available for a flat purple.

And the green has really been more enticing than the black just because I feel like the car needs something new. people around here followed my flat black because they thought it was "in" and not thats not want I want, I try to be a trend setter..haha..

And also, flat blue, about what shade? a light blue or dark blue?

I have aluminum wheels, should I leave them alone or paint them black?

·
Rawr!
1988 Corolla Sedan
82 Posts
I thought of the purple, I even thought of making my own color that was sort of a "blurple" Blue-purple color.

I will do some checking and see what is available for a flat purple.

And the green has really been more enticing than the black just because I feel like the car needs something new. people around here followed my flat black because they thought it was "in" and not thats not want I want, I try to be a trend setter..haha..

And also, flat blue, about what shade? a light blue or dark blue?

I have aluminum wheels, should I leave them alone or paint them black?
I'm getting excited just at the thought of a flat purple car with powdercoated black wheels...really, I've got a woody right now :rolleyes:

I used to have my room a deep purple with black trim...It was probably one of the coolest spaces I've seen to live in :) I had psychedelic art lining the walls and there was a constant UV backdrop to it from my computer case blacklights and the ambient room lighting. I'd love to paint my car flat purple and black!

Such a nice colour combination...

Pretty much pick any nice flat colour + black wheels will look super awesome, and pretty original compared to flat black.

OH what about a flat orange and black wheels? The orange on its own would be kinda intense with chrome or aluminum wheels, but I think it would be a gorgeous contrast with black wheels.

Not a super bright orange, again...a nice modest flat orange.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've checked around and flat colors that I can spray are near none, OD green, like army trucks, grey, red oxide, black, and a yellow.

The civic I posted is a car from another website and this is what he used.

http://www.krylon.com/products/outdoor_spaces_satin_finish/

Check out the colors there and see if any of them look interesting.

I wanted to spray it right but I just can't find the colors I want in a satin color.

The civic turned out pretty good, I'd say I could do just as good of job myself.

Here is the link to all of the civics pictures.

http://www.kcsr.org/vb/showthread.php?t=10472&highlight=khaki+hatch

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ha Ronal teddy bears, I was trying to get a set for the GF's car forever but they want $600-700 a set in decent condition. They pop up on vwvortex once in a while.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
What about this Green. Honda calls it Flat Uranium.
2004 Honda CB919F (Hornet)
I hated it when I first saw it, and was planning to change it to red, but all the women liked it ............... It grew on me after a while.

·
Registered
1992 Celica GT
1,290 Posts
I think a bright yellow would look really nice, I've been debating that for my own car for a while actually.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That green isn't actually a satin color, it has gloss to it.

And as for yellow, I havent seen any yellow I really liked.

I think, so far, I like the OD green with black wheels, or maybe flat blue with black wheels. We will just have to see. I'll post up some pictures when I do it.

·
Registered
1992 Celica GT
1,290 Posts
satin and flat are different.

satin is close to a semi-gloss and has a bit of gloss to it opposed to flat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In my link I posted above the colors are called "satin" however the car pictured above is obviously flat so even though these paints are labeled satin, they actually don't have any noticeable gloss in my opinion.

·
Registered
1992 Celica GT
1,290 Posts
I was referring to that^

And I've used krylon's satin before when painting my bass. Opposed to their flat which is completely flat, it does have a bit of gloss.

and if you're planning on spraying the car, I'd suggest getting a hold of a small sprayer. Spraying that much with rattle cans just kills you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a compressor and paint guns, I just can't find the paint colors I want anywhere.

Well anywhere but spray cans...I guess it would be cheap and easy to maintain :lol:

I've called every place locally that I can buy paint from and haven't had any luck. Do you guys know of anywhere to get flat, or low gloss colors?

·
'Rolla NiNJa
corolla 1990
156 Posts
the way to go for a flat paint is aqua, kinda of like green ocean color.
- as for the black rims, everyone is doing that why not go with some white racing rims, no gloss.
- and if you feel like it maybe paint your mirrors, spoiler, trim etc. to accent the rims. just a thought ??

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
Yes, you are right.
That green is a very high gloss with a semi flat clear coat over it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts