Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
When changing the fluid, do you take off the transmission sump and clean out the bottom and any of the magnets they like to put in there?

·
Registered
65 Posts
greetings, I want to make the fluid change .... do you have the procedure how to do it?
these are videos, Joseph Juguilon has shared with me and should help you out. and all the other information i have gotten from him too.. huge help he has been to me with this information.

(this is the same transmission that is in the corolla, iM 2014-2017 from what i have found.

the fluid is expensive, so if you search for it CVT FE Fluid 08886-02505, you can find an online toyota dealership that is near you and get it for $65 bucks for a 4Liter container. locally its $120 at my dealership.. crazy.

watch the videos
quote from Joe, and this is from the manual, its a simple process.
"When you do the fill, install the straw back in. Fill until see drops from drain hole (without the drain plug). Put the drain plug in. Refill another 1.2Liters(specific amount) then you can run your car up to temp until the temp is right, remove drain plug, drain until slow trickle. Reinstall drain plug with new gasket. your done.
Most important is car is leveled. Use a leveler. And car being on Right Temp Range 97F to 115F when you remove the drain plug on fluid check.

If you do the pins the car will either not have the D indicator, will have solid D indicator, or blinking D. While the car is parked"

to get the car into temperature check mode, it is shown in one of the videos where you short two pins on the OBD 2, just make sure you get the right pins.

the added description from joe after watching the videos was all the information i needed to take care of this and make sure it was done correctly..

hope this helps

·
Registered
65 Posts
these are videos, Joseph Juguilon has shared with me and should help you out. and all the other information i have gotten from him too.. huge help he has been to me with this information.

(this is the same transmission that is in the corolla, iM 2014-2017 from what i have found.

the fluid is expensive, so if you search for it CVT FE Fluid 08886-02505, you can find an online toyota dealership that is near you and get it for $65 bucks for a 4Liter container. locally its $120 at my dealership.. crazy.

watch the videos
quote from Joe, and this is from the manual, its a simple process.
"When you do the fill, install the straw back in. Fill until see drops from drain hole (without the drain plug). Put the drain plug in. Refill another 1.2Liters(specific amount) then you can run your car up to temp until the temp is right, remove drain plug, drain until slow trickle. Reinstall drain plug with new gasket. your done.
Most important is car is leveled. Use a leveler. And car being on Right Temp Range 97F to 115F when you remove the drain plug on fluid check.

If you do the pins the car will either not have the D indicator, will have solid D indicator, or blinking D. While the car is parked"

to get the car into temperature check mode, it is shown in one of the videos where you short two pins on the OBD 2, just make sure you get the right pins.
View attachment 286804

the added description from joe after watching the videos was all the information i needed to take care of this and make sure it was done correctly..

hope this helps
one last thing. when you short the pins, and start the car, you do the P, N, D then N, D, N, D like 6 times and the D will dissapear on your dash.. once the transmission hits 97degrees F, the D will show up till 114 or 115 deg F and will turn into a fractured looking D which means the fluid is now too warm for the check procedure. basically, once the D shows back, turn the car off, pull the plug and let the extra drain out till it is slow and put the plug back on, torque the plug and fill bolt to needed torque and you are done.

·
Registered
398 Posts
one last thing. when you short the pins, and start the car, you do the P, N, D then N, D, N, D like 6 times and the D will dissapear on your dash.. once the transmission hits 97degrees F, the D will show up till 114 or 115 deg F and will turn into a fractured looking D which means the fluid is now too warm for the check procedure. basically, once the D shows back, turn the car off, pull the plug and let the extra drain out till it is slow and put the plug back on, torque the plug and fill bolt to needed torque and you are done.
Good stuff except. Don’t turn the car off while doing temp/fluid check. Keep the car running. D indicator must be solid aka it’s in in good temperature to do fluid level check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good stuff except. Don’t turn the car off while doing temp/fluid check. Keep the car running. D indicator must be solid aka it’s in in good temperature to do fluid level check.

ah, i didn't catch that, it needs to be running when you pull the plug? it looked like she turned the eng off. (i'm still waiting for the fluid to be delivered, but the procedure seems quite simple to follow.) way more simple than some of the procedures that Suzuki did on some of their trucks with things..

·
Registered
398 Posts
ah, i didn't catch that, it needs to be running when you pull the plug? it looked like she turned the eng off. (i'm still waiting for the fluid to be delivered, but the procedure seems quite simple to follow.) way more simple than some of the procedures that Suzuki did on some of their trucks with things..
Yeah. She turned the engine on when the temp wasn’t in range yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It was running. Make sure car is running if doing fluid check

so thank you for the clarification. it is so against all maint practices i have ever done. everything screams don't do that while the engine is running.. but it is new methods.. all is good

·
イリジウム
11,840 Posts
That old ATF is ugly, given the problems with CVT, 15k miles drains might be a good idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2016 corolla with cvt but only have about maybe 19,500 miles. I bought mine used. Should I get the cvt fluid changed? I didnt know if I should go by mileage and age or just mileage.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
I have a 2016 corolla with cvt but only have about maybe 19,500 miles. I bought mine used. Should I get the cvt fluid changed? I didnt know if I should go by mileage and age or just mileage.
Will it hurt to change it now? No, not at all, just the cost of doing it. That being said I think if you changed it every 30k miles you will be in good shape.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts