Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I recently got myself a used 2016 Corolla 1.8 CVT which is only 12.5k miles driven.
Car looks new smells new and i liked it very much in each and every aspect while making my decision unless when after 2 or 3 days of purchase i noticed a permanent whistling sound which is there when car is parked idle. The noise only starts when car achieves its operational temperature and is not there when its cold in the morning. and if you rev up its rpms a litlle sound lessens or maybe totally disapppears.
I visited dealership yesterday and they couldnt find a fault but for further investigation they have asked me to send the vehicle within 10days after they will ask for it. Now i was wondering, considering the reliability rating of corolla should there actually be a problem with cvt transmission???
anyone out threre can advice me or can help me sharing his knowledge/expereince in this regard.
Sincerely.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,321 Posts
I've not heard of this problem from anyone else. Maybe you can record the sound on your phone or leave the car at the dealer and replicate the steps for them to hear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I have the same problem. I was able to capture the sound on video. Not really mechanically inclined to diagnose the issue, but my father says it may be the tensioner. Also monitoring water pump, to check for any leaks. I’ll be taking it to my fathers house over the weekend. I will update and report back.

See link above for video. Same sound on your rolla?

I left a lot of detail out of my post so below is an edit.

My car is 2014 Corolla S with ~86k miles. The "whistle" noise happens as per original post "The noise only starts when car achieves its operational temperature and is not there when its cold in the morning. and if you rev up its rpms a litlle sound lessens or maybe totally disapppears." In the morning it is non existent. I only notice the noise when i'm coming home from work. I will update again after this weekend.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello guys,
I recently got myself a used 2016 Corolla 1.8 CVT which is only 12.5k miles driven.
Car looks new smells new and i liked it very much in each and every aspect while making my decision unless when after 2 or 3 days of purchase i noticed a permanent whistling sound which is there when car is parked idle. The noise only starts when car achieves its operational temperature and is not there when its cold in the morning. and if you rev up its rpms a litlle sound lessens or maybe totally disapppears.
I visited dealership yesterday and they couldnt find a fault but for further investigation they have asked me to send the vehicle within 10days after they will ask for it. Now i was wondering, considering the reliability rating of corolla should there actually be a problem with cvt transmission???
anyone out threre can advice me or can help me sharing his knowledge/expereince in this regard.
Sincerely.
My 2017 does it... assuming your sound is not what MOST posted with his youtube video (because that does not sound normal at all).

I just assumed this noise was normal with the CVT. It is a high pitched whistle I get while the car is in park or neutral. The slightest blip of the throttle and it goes away until the car returns to idle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine is the european version 2018 bought it from the dealer i here same whistling issue and the dealer said there is no Problem. Any helo?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts