Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i had to pull out the wheel hub and all of the seals, because i wanted to replace the rusted dust covers in there, but when i started to put it back together(with the same old bearing) i noticed that the outer seal is probably too close to the rotating hub itself, plus i added some black oil to the axle nut to make it come off easier next time, but did that oil affect the actual torque value then, because the bearing is now really hard to rotate around like 2/3 of the way and it also makes kinda hard scraping noise at the same time (only 1/3 rotates much easier)...

so is it ok to pull the hub out the 2nd time again to press the outer seal in all the way to make it not rub against the hub again, plus also sand down the rough spots on the hub then, to make the surface more smooth against the seal? altho it should probably have like 1mm gap in there to not burn it up with the friction? so is there any trick to figure out what the gap would be after torquing down the nut in the last step of the process...

the torque value was probably 216nm for the front nut, but could the oil make the value much higher and should i just use some lubricant calculator to get a correct value to use then...
plus could the hub itself be tilted somehow if it rotates kinda hard like 2/3 of the way and could it have also damaged the bearings somehow?:eek:

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,247 Posts
What were you using to press the bearing and hub?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i pulled the hub out with that slide hammer thing and then just used the same, old inner race to place the bolt/plate tool on that to pull the hub back in from the front

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
the bearing part seems to be the most easy part of the whole thing, because it comes out and goes back in really easily, but the scraping noise seems to come from the axle's outer seal itself, which is scraping against the new inner metal seal, so i wonder what could be done about that lol...
the axle seal even seems to have somekind of factory wave on 1 part of the seal and its even like 1,5cm long, so i wonder what is that even used for and can i just bend it straight like the rest of the seal or is the axle seal replaceable itself without ordering the whole axle or smth?:oops:

exactly this 1,5cm wave here, so what is it even used for?:eek:

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,730 Posts
That looks like maybe it's for a car with ABS brakes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i mean before the dotted abs ring, there is a small dent/wave on the outer metal seal and it actually looks like something out of the factory, not some random sloppy dent made by someone with a hammer lol (which it does look a bit more on that pic)

·
One with the farce
3,491 Posts
i mean before the dotted abs ring, there is a small dent/wave on the outer metal seal and it actually looks like something out of the factory, not some random sloppy dent made by someone with a hammer lol (which it does look a bit more on that pic)
No that’s not supposed to be there. Should be a uniform shape around the periphery.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thx, i chiseled them out now and the scraping is quite less now, but does a torque wrench work horizontally too or just vertically? :eek: like if you put the bit upside down, not like the regular wheel bolts etc...

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,730 Posts
A torque wrench will work in any orientation, you just want to make sure it is square on the nut/bolt as you turn it.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,440 Posts
ok thx, i chiseled them out now and the scraping is quite less now, but does a torque wrench work horizontally too or just vertically? :eek: like if you put the bit upside down, not like the regular wheel bolts etc...
Torque is torque, only thing that will affect it is if you have some kind of lubricant on the threads

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok thx, but then i'm thinking that all 3 of the balljoint connections probably just stripped into themselves at 90-110nm already lol... so the whole thing should probably be replaced by the warranty now, because otherwise it would just pull itself out during a random drive somewhere?

·
Registered
130 Posts
stripped ball-joint holes are least of your worries.

It you pushed/pulled on bearing's inner-race to install it, you've done irreparable damage to races and bearings. Should replace with new bearing before proceeding...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts