Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla GT-S
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the first summer I've had my '91 Corolla GT-S, which seems to have all the options except for air conditioning! It's only May, but we hit 30 C last weekend and man do I wish it had A/C as we head into the summer.

I've searched the forums for AE92's, and I see a few people have been doing A/C deletes, but has anyone done an A/C retrofit on a car that wasn't originally equipped with A/C (either from stock parts someone else sold, or some other cobbled together system)?

The mechanicals of the system is fairly standard (though I'm not sure if I'd need a different blower motor housing, or intake manifold for the idle-up system), but the electrical makes me a little uncertain. I have a Hayne's manual with the wiring diagrams, but cobbling together the wiring with the rest of the car isn't something I'm completely comfortable with. I did notice there are quite a few unused electrical connectors around the engine bay, so I'm not sure if any of these are related to non-equipped options like A/C?

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? I do understand my best bet is probably to find another car with A/C, but I'd like to investigate all my options.

Cheers,
Kyle

Reactions: Corrolla clone

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,249 Posts
It might be prewired for ac.

I've never done it personally, but in the late 80's and early 90's, ac was still an option. Dealer installed item.

Compressor and belt are the major ones I can think of. But don't know if the HVAC behind the dash is the same across the model line for both ac and non AC equipped.

·
Registered
793 Posts
that is very strange, i have a 1990 gts with a/c, cruise control, pw window, pw mirror, sunroof came straight from the factory like that. my a/c ran out freon and even though the compressor and everything else working.i went to get it recharged and this is the option they game me, 1st i have to convert it to fit the fitting to use the present freon gas which is 150$, then the charging freon is 60$. so i went to another place i know and the guy there just use an adaptor on the fitting to recharge my system. been having a/c for the last 8 months and it's working, on a really hot day 90+ degree outside and my car park outside on the street, it take around 5 minutes to get it up and running cold, if i park in the garage, it would get up the cold air in about 2 minutes or less. i did replace the condenser so i think it helps. over all the a/c working fine and keep me through last summer and this coming summer also. ofcourse it's not as good as the a/c from my 05 accord and 02 highlander since they're newer and the gts is 30 years old but it does the job.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,249 Posts
that is very strange, i have a 1990 gts with a/c, cruise control, pw window, pw mirror, sunroof came straight from the factory like that. my a/c ran out freon and even though the compressor and everything else working.i went to get it recharged and this is the option they game me, 1st i have to convert it to fit the fitting to use the present freon gas which is 150$, then the charging freon is 60$. so i went to another place i know and the guy there just use an adaptor on the fitting to recharge my system. been having a/c for the last 8 months and it's working, on a really hot day 90+ degree outside and my car park outside on the street, it take around 5 minutes to get it up and running cold, if i park in the garage, it would get up the cold air in about 2 minutes or less. i did replace the condenser so i think it helps. over all the a/c working fine and keep me through last summer and this coming summer also. ofcourse it's not as good as the a/c from my 05 accord and 02 highlander since they're newer and the gts is 30 years old but it does the job.
Not strange at all. It was common back then. Even when I used to work at NUMMI, some vibes had no ac, but the wire harness connectors were there. These were models bound for northern Canada. Not sure how far north.

Around 7th gen is when AC became standard equipment.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla GT-S
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not strange at all. It was common back then. Even when I used to work at NUMMI, some vibes had no ac, but the wire harness connectors were there. These were models bound for northern Canada. Not sure how far north.

Around 7th gen is when AC became standard equipment.
Hmm that sounds promising. I actually found this installation manual (https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploa...7E}/AAAMB25A airco inside engine comp RHD.pdf), for a RHD, wrong year, European Corolla, but like you said for a dealer installation of the A/C. I might see if I can dig up a similar instruction for my car.

Even so, I'd need to acquire all the parts which would require someone selling their GT-S A/C system, or a complete parts car to pilfer it from. From what I remember reading, the GT-S or at least the coupe, had a somewhat unique A/C system. The filter/drier is mounted up in front of the condenser in the grill, which was different from the other body styles. The compressor setup might also be a bit different for the 4AGE engine.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,249 Posts
I'd try Amayama. They might have all the parts you'd need.

The breaker works too, but sadly, the ae92 gt-s is getting harder to find. I wonder if the sedan parts would work?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hmm that sounds promising. I actually found this installation manual (https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/{BDD59F94-C062-4B8A-80A5-428CAD15477E}/AAAMB25A airco inside engine comp RHD.pdf), for a RHD, wrong year, European Corolla, but like you said for a dealer installation of the A/C. I might see if I can dig up a similar instruction for my car.

Even so, I'd need to acquire all the parts which would require someone selling their GT-S A/C system, or a complete parts car to pilfer it from. From what I remember reading, the GT-S or at least the coupe, had a somewhat unique A/C system. The filter/drier is mounted up in front of the condenser in the grill, which was different from the other body styles. The compressor setup might also be a bit different for the 4AGE engine.
my gts ac compressor is in the front but bottom, the alternator is in the back.

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
3,615 Posts
I wonder if you couldn't contact one of those aftermarket AC companies and see if they offer something like that. They offer AC for Street Rods, so why not your car? Or maybe see if Rock Auto has the parts (might get expensive, but be new), or maybe even e-bay might have something. A Toyota FSM might give you a look into what's different between AC equipped and a non AC car. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla GT-S
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure the aftermarket A/C companies have much for the Corolla. From my experience they're typically targeting North American muscle cars, and typically utilize an under-dash installation where there's lots of space.

I think my best bet is to try and determine from a Toyota rep if the wiring for A/C exists in my non-A/C car. Some of the replacement parts on RockAuto seem reasonably priced, but I'd have to get a mix of new and used as they don't sell all the components.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,249 Posts
If you follow the wiring from the alternator, you may find the harness taped and tucked away on the timing belt cover side.

If it's not there, then it's not pre-wired for the compressor.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla GT-S
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm I'll go out and try to take a look for that tonight. You're saying the wiring harness should come around the engine from the alternator (towards the rear of the car) to the passenger side by the timing belt cover area?

Just want to confirm, as from what I've gathered the compressor gets mounted on the front-side (front of the car) of the engine, below the power steering pump. The alternator is on the rear of the engine (closer to the rear of the car), so the wiring should snake around and be tucked away on the timing belt cover side.

Does anyone have a picture of what that connector looks like? Would be helpful as a quick visual check if it looks close to the same.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,249 Posts
The AC compressor sits on the bottom on the exhaust manifold side and behind the passenger side headlight assembly.

It could be taped and tucked where it's supposed to be connected.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,045 Posts
I guess you have the 4A-GE (?) because on the 4A-FE the alternator is on the front above the AC compressor and PS pump is on the back bumy the firewall.

It's more than just the wire to the AC compressor. There is the wiring to the freon high/low pressure switch, the wiring for the freon switch that turns the condenser and radiator fans on, plus the relays and fuses that control those fans.

I would suggest getting a used factory repair manual for your year and look through the AC chapter.

You can also look at all the AC parts for your year/model at toyotapartsdeal.com or another Toyota parts website. If you enter your VIN it might not show any AC parts since you didn't have it originally

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,249 Posts
+1.

You can also reach out to Amayama as they have plenty of inventory to supply the older models.

I wonder if GT ac is interchangeable. I think it would be, but since it is a 4age, it might not.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla GT-S
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, it's just that if some of the A/C wiring is there, I would assume that the rest of it is there as well. I have to pull the glove box out for something else later this week, so I'll have a quick peek to see if there's any unused part of the wiring harness near the blower unit. From what I understand, the A/C amplifier module was mounted up there, so there should be something there if it was pre-wired for A/C.

I have some pretty good factory diagrams of the system for the GT-S, which is slightly different than for that of the other models. It shows all the parts required, and I saw some showing the necessary relay/fuse locations. But yes, as you've both mentioned, I'll see if I can get any sort of Toyota Factory Service Manual.

I took a look, this part of the loom comes from the intake side of the engine, goes over the timing cover as shown, and out to the exhaust side. There are a few unused connectors there, it was getting dark and I couldn't see too much further down, so I'll have to check later this week what the others look like.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Corolla GT-S
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't had much luck in specific details, but I did determine that the A/C Install Manual exists. I accessed the Toyota's Service info system for a 2 day membership, and they have lots of info on servicing the A/C system, but nothing related to the actual installation unfortunately.

There was however, a document detailing the different service manuals and for each year and model, and in that table the A/C Install Manual was listed as 'CIAC-12' for the 1991 Corolla. Despite searching high and low, I've not been able to actually find a copy of this manual yet, which would certainly detail what parts are required to install the A/C system. I haven't bothered asking my local dealer if they have it as last time I tried ordering OEM parts, they said they probably couldn't even get parts for my car (they could and did, after talking to someone else). Maybe someone else has a different way of looking for this A/C Install Manual? Note these codes are also for Canadian Market, not sure how different the US would be.

Reactions: DanNorth
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.