Toyota Nation Forum banner

corolla in the snow?

19K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Flashmn 
#1 ·
i was wondering how is the corolla (2004) handling in the snow. i also would like to know it is necessary to buy snow tires? any information will be great. thanks!

#2 ·
when i got my corolla 2004s in december, it was right at the start of winter. i didn't have any problems handling it. I'm assuming you live in New york, and it's about the same as toronto...so no, you won't need snow tires. All-season tires would work just great.

#5 · (Edited)
didn't the government want to make winter tires the law in Quebec for the winter because of this?? I remember it being big news last winter.. don't know if it was passed as a law, but there's too many people out there driving on bald tires in the snow. :disappoin

As for a 2004 Corolla on snow.. my buddy last year almost rear-ended someone on his LE during one of the big storms we had.. he missed the guy by about an inch. Unfortunately the SUV behind him didn't brake on time and rear-ended his car so hard that it deleted his trunk and it drove the LE far under the car in front. Thanks to his insurance he now drives a Corolla S. :thumbup: :)

#6 ·
I drove my AE86 through the winter with all seasons. RWD in the snow and I never had any problems. And I was in Barrie last year... If you don't drive like a dink you should have any problems.

#12 ·
I have an le and live in ny

i hae a 2004 corrolla le. IF you have anti lock brakes you have nothing to worry about. As long as you drive like a normal human being in the snow you will be okay. do not try to take a turn doing 55 in the snow because you will skid. Take it easy and you will be ok. I have not skidded out once in my car in the snow.

#16 · (Edited)
I agree buy winter tires for the Winter season.

hey guys, I think if you care about your investment you should buy some winter tires. All Seasons wont do you any good below -10Celcius. I dont care what anyone says...the tires goes all rigid and doesnt stick to the road as well as tires made for the winter season.

It can be very expensive but I think the peace of mind and knowing your tires will perform during those brutal cold days justifies buying them.

So if you dont get any winter tires this season start and save up for the following season. Dont go cheap and buy 2...buy a full set. Its worth the money.

I just dropped $875.00 on new Michelin winter tires. They perform just awesome. Its night and day driving these and my 18's Toyo Proxes. *lol* If anyone is interested in buysing some tires...I know a Tire rep and I'll ask him if you guys can get hooked up too. he gave me 16percent off....so anything is better than paying full price, right?

Hit me up people.

~HiTz~

#17 ·
So if you dont get any winter tires this season start and save up for the following season. Dont go cheap and buy 2...buy a full set. Its worth the money.
Thats even worse, you'll just upset the balance of the car REALLY badly. You put them in the front and the tail has the ability to slide out and make you spin (worse on a FWD than an RWD actually).
In the back, and you'll plough through turns.

I think you shouldnt be cheap on tires, those are the MOST important part of your suspension.

#18 ·
I used to think all seasons were okay. Then I bought Snow Tires last year, set of Toyo's (2000 Corolla). All I can say is that it was worth the $500 for them. I oversized to a set of 195's (car is stock with 175 or 185).

I was consistently passing 4x4's in the snow. The car as a whole being front wheel drive kind of sucks for cornering (I grew up on a rear wheel drive in the snow nothing beats them - fish tail boy) so the hand brake gets used lots when I am really goofing off. Handling in the dry was fine and I could still do 125 down the 407. Although something on the tires warranty says it's strongly recommended I don't do 140 - ahhh can't wait for summer to arrive again. :lol:

#19 ·
i can tell u one thing...it aint the tires...its the driver...i had a mazda 626 last winter and i drove on bald all season tires throughout the whole winter...i never lost control or was close to hitting anyone...only bad part was that i was always stuck in parking lots...no traction...lol...and i dont drive slow...bald tires are cool to have if u wanna fool around in empty lots...this winter i am going to drive on winter tires...cuz of that stupid law(i live in montreal, quebec)...i certainly dont want a ticket...by the way winters here are bad...

#21 · (Edited)
just my topic for us Canadians

Snow tires all the way. Have a 2003 Corolla LE and 1st winter, bought 4 steelies 4 Nokia Hakka Snows. And no problems. Here is what the issues are in deciding.

1) all season tires will not get you out in deep snow.
2) snow (winter) tires are geared for colder weather and will give you extra traction and handling. Rember all 4 snows are recommnded, Winter tires are more flexible so therefore will not harden and lose traction
3) very expensive for 2 sets of tires to store, you need room
4) will save your aluminum tires, no salt or corrossion

The decision is up to you, I have purchased snows for my 85 Celica (no longer drive in winter) and 93 Camry. And my alumimun rims are immaculate.

Have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.