Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver side door lock in my 03 LE doesn't response to the keyless entry button nor the power door button on the door. I didn't hear any sound comming from that door when I use the power door lock button.
I did some search and found that it could be due to a faulty door lock actuator. Plus, 03 Corolla uses a cable actuator instead of a rod actuator.

So do I need to replace the entire door lock assembly or just the actuator? Which online or local store (besides Toyota dealers) may sell the part I need?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, noticed this same exact problem happened to me yesterday!! I was so angry, thinking, this car is only 4 years old (2003 Camry LE), and this type of thing is already occurring.

Did you find a resolution to this problem, and/or did you have it repaired at your dealer or a mechanic, and what was the diagnosis and cost to repair.

I know that no car is perfect, but when you shell out extra dough for something you expect to be top notch (Toyota/Honda) products, given that people criticize Mitsubishi for "not being quite where Toyota or Honda are in quality", and problem after problem occurs, you get a bit frustrated.

I've already had to replace my intake manifold and A/C relay in the short time I've owned this Camry. The ironic thing is, my 2002 Galant hasn't given me a lick of trouble, and it's a year older with over 100,000 miles.

Thanks for any help and letting me vent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The driver side door lock in my 03 LE doesn't response to the keyless entry button nor the power door button on the door. I didn't hear any sound comming from that door when I use the power door lock button.
I did some search and found that it could be due to a faulty door lock actuator. Plus, 03 Corolla uses a cable actuator instead of a rod actuator.

So do I need to replace the entire door lock assembly or just the actuator? Which online or local store (besides Toyota dealers) may sell the part I need?

Thanks
Hi.

My daughter's car now has the same exact problem. Where is the $best$ place to get it and instructions on how to replace it?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife's 04 Corolla S is having this trouble with the left front lock actuator too, so far I think I have seen the part at https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com but it's about $175 + shipping, seems a bit steep for something like this? I love being able to get junkyard parts for my '02 Saturn! I'll keep looking on eBay too, they seem to have one for the right side of the car for power lock right now or for the left side w/manual locks :(

Bill

PS if anyone has a better source of parts please post up! I haven't been able to find this when I search Autozone's website either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't say that I've seen directions, but here's a what to do:
1. Pull the door skin off, you will need to pull off the black plastic triangle that is at the upper right hand corner just above the door panel inside where the side view mirror is, just pull on it there is a plastic clip holding it in place, then pull the armrest pad up(it runs around the door pocket) next pull the window switch/power lock panel out of the armrest part of the door and unplug the cables/set aside. There are two phillips screws holding the door panel to the door that are clearly visible now, and another hidden behind the door handle, unscrew these, then slide the door handle/lock switch piece forward. At this point you should be able to pull the door skin away from the door, wedge your fingers in at the bottom and pull, once it is free slide it up and off, the door handle/lock switch piece should be slid through the door skin so it's still attached.
2. Next pull back the plastic lining from the door, you'll want to save this as it keeps moisture from entering the car.
3. When looking at the door edge on, where the lock mechanism is visible, there are two phillips head screws, undo these and the lock itself should get loose inside the door, there is a metal bar that connects to the lock unit from the door handle, there is a little swivel clip holding it in place, you have to feel inside the door for this and push it off, after this the lock unit should come out smoothly, if not you may need to loosen the torx screw a little higher up in the edge of the door that holds the exterior lock into the lock mechanism.

Hope this helps, sorry I don't have pictures but feel free to ask any questions if you need some clarity.

Bill

·
Registered
26 Posts
@Banjo,

I've got a similar problem on the rear driver side door of my 97 corolla. I've got the panel off, which was a real pain with the door stuck closed, but there is a metal cover over the lock service area in the door that I need to remove before I can get at the hardware to find out why mine is jammed in the locked position. Do you or does anyone else reading know how to remove those two white plastic clips at the bottom of the cover? They are also where the screws behind the armrest go. I need to get those off to remove the cover, but can't figure out how, and don't want to break them.

They are in the included image, the small white square plastic pieces with the vertical grooves.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
My assumption would be to peal up some of the plastic from the bottom so you can stick your arm in the large hole and see if there is some part of the white plastic fastener you can pinch to get it to come out.
I'd recommend cutting the black sealant on the plastic with a razor blade so you can reseal if when you're done, the keeps moisture out so mold doesn't form inside the door panel.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a hindsight to my problem for some reason her lock started working again months ago and has not given me a problem since... fingers crossed!

·
Registered
157 Posts
you could also check with your local dealer and ask them how much it costs for those two clips. Chances are its not too much and you can buy them as a just-in-case. That way you can muscle them off and not sweat it if they end up breaking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I actually figured it out by reaching behind and pinching. Turns out you just use a large blade screwdriver to spread the flanges on the bottom apart while pulling the grommet out. One out successfully the other so brittle with age it broke. So I'll need to find new ones.

Now the lock rod seems fine all the way across the door, and is ceasing well inside the rear area of the door where there is no easy access. The fun continues :/

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it is seizing up I'm would think it's due to the actual lock assembly being seized inside. This does not sound like good news. Only thing I can think of is try to get some sort of spray lube like JB Blaster with a straw into the spot where the lock cable goes in then keep working the lock back and forth until it 'breaks' free. You have to be able to open the door to remove that assembly... hopefully I'm understanding what you're trying to do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got it sorted out after another hour or so fussing with it and, most importantly because this helps as you know - cursing at it. The solenoid rod was stuck, and I was able to work it loose. Took it to a friend who does body and collision work and had him check it over and lube it up thoroughly and so far it is fine.

That anti-theft panel that covers the service hole is a HUGE pain, by the way. Getting the trim panel off the door while it was closed without destroying it was an even bigger pain.

Thanks for taking an interest in helping, Bill. It's appreciated.

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad to hear you got it! Cursing definitely helps, finding something that won't break while you take your frustration out on it with a 3/8"s wrench can help immensely too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Door lock not working

So I know this sounds very silly, but I had this problem for a while as well. What I did to fix it for a while, was open the fuse box in the car (under the steering wheel) and remount the fuse for the power lock. After that all the door's locks started working again. Like I said, i know it sounds very silly... but that's what I did and it started working. I feel like trying this might save people some hours. Mind you, I don't have very great technical knowledge of the mechanics of a car.. just a persevering DIY'er.

GL, I hope it works for some, if not all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Door lock actuator problem 2004 toyota matrix/corolla

The actual problem is a $2 motor inside the actuator. I have replaced the passenger side already... Now the drivers side is not working. So I'm about to replace that one. It is a pain in the A$$, but if you are mechanically inclined it can be done with a $2 part (small electric motor) instead of a $200 part (the actuator assembly).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MABUCHI-DIY-CAR-LOCK-ACTUATOR-REPAIR-DOOR-LOCK-MOTORS-/270829032335?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=7439827130259380345

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had issues with three of the door locks on my 2006 corolla not functioning on the keyless entry nor on the button. The locks work manually they just do not work automatically.

Now the 4th lock is also not working. Did anybody figure out the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same issue... Any help would be very much appreciated. My rear locks don't work, and the front passenger side is starting to fail also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts