Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am seriously considering buying a 2005 Corolla and would like to know beforehand if there are any known defect issues with late model Corolla's.

Please share any info about Corolla's that will be helpful.

Right now I own a 2004 Sienna, 1990 Camry & 1991 Toyota Pickup so I love Toyota's but have never had a Corolla.

Thanks for any help and I realize that there are no "PERFECT" cars but don't want to be blindsided either.

·
BigWilly ;)
2001 Toyota Corolla
431 Posts
I wouldn't say perfect.. but the reliability of these cars are very reliable..

only thing I dislike about toyotas, is they are mostly BORING to drive.. but that's why it's so reliable.. for my corolla I find that the stock suspension is WAY to soft, steering wheel is way too loose, but overall a nice car.

·
since 1996
05 Impreza RS 2.5
1,772 Posts
rated_w said:
I wouldn't say perfect.. but the reliability of these cars are very reliable..

only thing I dislike about toyotas, is they are mostly BORING to drive.. but that's why it's so reliable.. for my corolla I find that the stock suspension is WAY to soft, steering wheel is way too loose, but overall a nice car.
Not nessisarily true depending on what year and model you have. For example and older GT-S model in good running condition should meet those demands, as well as the new XRS.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would agree before 2001 Corolla's were boring it was an econcomical unstylish car. The style change in 2001 (and since) makes the car unboring.

I own a 2000 rolla I have to say it has been extremely reliable. The gas mileage alone makes the car worthwhile. I spend more on Insurance a year then gas. It's not unusal for me to do 500km on 40 litres of gas (best recorded was 640km on 43 litres of gas).

In total I have owned 4 Toyota's and all of them have been reliable.

Toyota's I have owned in order of ownership:
1990 Camary
1987 Tercella - My brother still drives it has 160,000km
2000 Corolla - My Car
2000 RAV4 - Wife's car

Next one will be the dreaded Minivan :) looking at a Sienna once we have kids likely will be bought in the next 2 to 3 years. I am just trying to get the wife to let me replace the RAV with one vs me replacing the Corolla. If we can't compromise I may end up with 3 Toyota's in the drive way :lol:

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Corolla and Camry are synonomous with reliability. The awards they've won for these cars are numerous. You can't go wrong with either.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Let's see my record

04 Corolla S - Drove 17000 KM and through one winter. No probolems whatsoever even in very cold weather and snow. Ran like brand new till I traded in.

05 Corolla XRS - Apart from all the performance related differences, generally the car is much more refined than my 04 with more sound insulation, more high quality material on the CD controls and dash, much more precision built.

Corollas are the Lexus of it's class. Nothing compares to it in it's class when it comes to quality, refinement and precision building
( yeah, I am talking to you Mazda 3 :p: )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can see that you guys love your Corolla's! Thanks for your input.

So are there no known "weak links" on the Corolla period (ex. Head Gasket Issues, brakes, engine)? I really don't know, just researching before the purchase.

Thanks

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
They're pretty reliable and there are no major component issues - hence why they're so popular with people who want peace of mind on their purchase.

·
4u2nv
1,498 Posts
corollas are freakin' amazing!!! EXTREMELY reliable! Very well insulated, infact its better insulated than the camry. I absolutely love my friend's corolla. A lot of fun to drive.

·
In Ur MOM's Pants
2,883 Posts
as long as U dont get an 88 gts U're all good

these cars with my driving and 60 000+ km's every 6months doesnt help.... even still i have to say its damn fuckin realiable

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
What chu talking bout willis?? hehehe..

My 89 GTS is more reliable than any brand new car out there.. I put about 45,000KM a year on mine or about 750KM a week roughly and aside from the regular maintenance and parts replacement I would say it never needs anything. I got TB and WP to do soon, and my front calipers are starting to show early signs of ceasing.. but then again I just hit 325,000KM today so you be the judge. :D

·
Banned
245 Posts
On a full highway trip, A/C off most of the way.. and doing 80-100mph, 7AFE engine.. I got 500 miles on like 13G and the tank is a 13.2G.. I got 38MPG.

Was coming home from Ohio.. through west virginia, through all of PA to my place in eastern PA.. and if anyone knows the highway along that stretch.. it's ALL hills/mountains.

·
BigWilly ;)
2001 Toyota Corolla
431 Posts
knightbr said:
I would agree before 2001 Corolla's were boring it was an econcomical unstylish car. The style change in 2001 (and since) makes the car unboring.

I own a 2000 rolla I have to say it has been extremely reliable. The gas mileage alone makes the car worthwhile. I spend more on Insurance a year then gas. It's not unusal for me to do 500km on 40 litres of gas (best recorded was 640km on 43 litres of gas).

In total I have owned 4 Toyota's and all of them have been reliable.

Toyota's I have owned in order of ownership:
1990 Camary
1987 Tercella - My brother still drives it has 160,000km
2000 Corolla - My Car
2000 RAV4 - Wife's car

Next one will be the dreaded Minivan :) looking at a Sienna once we have kids likely will be bought in the next 2 to 3 years. I am just trying to get the wife to let me replace the RAV with one vs me replacing the Corolla. If we can't compromise I may end up with 3 Toyota's in the drive way :lol:
well heh .. I was talking about the way the car handles .. 98-02 corollas are on the same platform but different look.. I find that the suspension and the way the car handles .. is somewhat lacking.. hehe but maybe because I'm comparing it with higher class cars that my dad used to drive (97 cadillac STS) .. The best recorded km per tank for my 01 is 680 with me driving extra conservative .. .my dad gets over 700 with his saturn :confused: don't know how he do it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When it comes to corolla's all i have to say is :thumbup:

I have too many good things to say that I don't know where to start. To put it briefly around 1990 and 1991 my two uncles and my parents were all in search of new cars around the same time. My uncle was the first to buy his rolla in 90. Then my parents bought the 90 station wagon version. One year later my uncle bought a 91 corolla.

All of these cars are still on the road today, going strong and still daily drivers for all of them. Nothing but reliability all the way. Toyota is a great brand and our driveway shows how much we love Toyota:

Father: 90 rolla 145,000 miles
Me: 93 rolla 172,000 miles
Brother: 93 cam 252,000 miles
Mother: 98 sien 85,000 miles

:thumbup:

·
Do you wanna have a try??
Corolla AE101
92 Posts
Toyota is the worlds best selling brand at this moment if i'm not mistaken...
It is at the 9th on the ranking among of those worldwide company... And it is the only car manufacturer in the top 10...

My Family have one Corolla SEG 1993 and one Corolla DX about 1980 model (still manage to go up to 130kph) ...
I wll say really good realibility...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts