Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a corolla 2004 s. I have a humming or whining is hard too describe can’t seem to figure it out. Did the bearings did the transmission which needed it anyway bc of torque converter new tires all balanced. Still same result like a wind noise at 60 miles
Per hour u here it usually hubs or bearings will make a truck noise and it will be loud u have too shut off the radio to here it. Sound like something rubbing

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a corolla 2004 s. I have a humming or whining is hard too describe can’t seem to figure it out. Did the bearings did the transmission which needed it anyway bc of torque converter new tires all balanced. Still same result like a wind noise at 60 miles
Per hour u here it usually hubs or bearings will make a truck noise and it will be loud u have too shut off the radio to here it. Sound like something rubbing
Could be literally anything.... maybe exhaust leak or vacuum leak?

·
Registered
2007 Corolla S
189 Posts
Post a vid if you can. But that speed is usually bearing or tire related. Balance won't cause noise, but tires can make noise and still ride smooth. Bearing noises often change with hard cornering, the unloaded side will quiet down. Tire noise won't change with cornering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even mechanics don’t know what it is I need a cat converter which I will buy eventually has a 420 code but will change. The noise was there before all parts

·
Various Toyotas
4,071 Posts
Which bearings did you replace? Front? Rear? All four?

Do you have a lack of power at higher (freeway) speeds? Strange transmission behavior also at freeway speeds?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,536 Posts
Does the shinning noise get louder with speed?

When you had the transmission work done, did you replace the pilot bearing on the snout?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The noise was there the transmission repair yes I took it too professional all bearings and hubs replaced even knuckle was replaced

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before the transmission I need to diagnose a bent rim or or defective wheel bearing just wait till it gets to diagnose what side

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,536 Posts
The best thing to do is to self diagnose.

Get the front of the car on jack stands and grab each wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and then at 6 and 12 o'clock. This is to test the bearings.

Repeat for the rear.

For the rubbing, check to see if the under engine plastic shields are hanging and touching the ground. Also, check to see if the fender splash shield isn't loose and rubbing the wheel.

Or find a different mechanic.

·
Various Toyotas
4,071 Posts

·
Various Toyotas
4,071 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts