Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Highlander
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed our 2010 Corolla today and was in the process of wiping down the rims when I noticed they all have this funny corrosion looking thing happening to all of them at the center of each rim.

Here's a pic or two to give you all a better idea.

The vehicle has scheduled maintenance coming up at the dealer so I am just going to show them the rims when I take it in next week. Anyone seen this happening with their Corollas??

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
My Xrs rims are chipping a bit. But its not that bad. I'll try and post pics later

·
Registered
2010 Highlander
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
looks like someone tried to pry off your centercap...or some huge rock chips
I thought maybe rock chips, but on all 4 in the same areas?

The chance of someone where I live trying to steal these rims?? I'd be better off playing the lottery.

Also, if you look closely at the second pic, to the right of the center cap between those two chips is what appears to be paint bubbling.

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
I thought maybe rock chips, but on all 4 in the same areas?

The chance of someone where I live trying to steal these rims?? I'd be better off playing the lottery.

Also, if you look closely at the second pic, to the right of the center cap between those two chips is what appears to be paint bubbling.
i didnt say stealing your rims, just the centercap.

i guess you should take it to the dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
2010 Highlander
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just had mine replaced. Its a factory issue. Water is getting under the clear coat. Warranty covered it. =) .
So, like I said, if it happens again, they'll be replacing mine all for the next 80K miles I have left on my warranty. And by my calculations, that will be another 4 sets of rims.

·
rieds
2010 Corolla S
305 Posts
wonder if you could talk the dealer into a cash exchange or aftermarket rims instead. they would prolly be cheaper and nicer. i dont see why they would care there gonna get there money from toyota anyway.

·
Registered
2010 Highlander
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What have you been washing your wheels with? Harsh chemicals can be bad for the paint on the them.
My wife occasionally takes it through the automatic car wash here called Mike's Express.
Perhaps it would be in the best interest of Toyota to inform it's customers about harsh chemicals etc that can damage the paint?
Also, there are others that have the same rims as I do that are chipping as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just an option I would probably try would be to have the dealer replace under warranty and then buy after markets and sell the replacements on ebay. This is clearly a manufacturers defect. The e-coat is breaking down under the paint. Your replacements will probably look like shiite in no time as well.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Just wondering does Warranty cover rust on other parts of the car, like Wiper Arm. My car is 2 half years old and rust on the wiper arm, just wondering would it be covered?

·
Registered
2010 Highlander
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wondering does Warranty cover rust on other parts of the car, like Wiper Arm. My car is 2 half years old and rust on the wiper arm, just wondering would it be covered?
I would say, YES!

P.S. I believe all newer Toyotas have a 5 year body/paint coverage warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told the replacement rims are basically refurbished with Toyota sending the rims to an outside persons having them done properly. I was told the entire rim would be coated with clear coat opposed to just the front and a little past the lip. I don't know if the dealer was pulling my leg but compared to the in laws new 2010 LE my rims look to have a better finish now.

·
Toyota Addict
2018 Camry XSE
752 Posts
Perhaps it would be in the best interest of Toyota to inform it's customers about harsh chemicals etc that can damage the paint?
Usually it is on the bottle of cleaner warning not to use on painted surfaces. Usually a couple of uses won't harm the paint, but prolonged use will definitely do a number on it. The thing is that a lot of people don't realize that their wheels are painted and not some time of machined finish. This seems to be more of a defective product type of thing though.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
I would say, YES!

P.S. I believe all newer Toyotas have a 5 year body/paint coverage warranty.
AFAIK the warranty only covers rust preforation (gone right through the metal) and no surface rust.

Still worth a shot though if you're still under warranty.

·
Registered
2010 Corolla S
427 Posts
this thread sounds rather interesting..how someone mentioned there is a 5 year warranty on paint and rust on our corolla's.. i saw how the rims were replaced under factory warranty..

makes me question the paint on the corolla..since now i have like a few scruff marks (due to bird marks/ cherry peices) barely noticable..now if i wax my car it wont be noticable...,my question is if i do take it to toyota service would they repaint the surface marks and would it be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys I know this post is kind of old, but if someone could help me I live in San Diego and 4 months after buying a 2010 corolla I have this issue with the rims I went to the dealer and they told me they have NEVER seen this before so they made me an appointment so I can see a guy in charge that goes to every dealer AKA Brandon. I f someone could tell me who did they talk too. Please ASAP my appointment is on tuesday the 22

1 - 20 of 31 Posts