Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Vios TRD Sportivo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all members,

i red those suspensions have different part number for sport model (S) and regular (L, LE etc). For example for regular suspension, front strut part code is 485208Z034 but for sport type the code is 485208Z035.

Please confirm whether they actually different parts and thus the driving experience and ride quality will be different (between S model and others)?

Thank you

·
2015 Corolla LE
507 Posts
Dear all members,

i red those suspensions have different part number for sport model (S) and regular (L, LE etc). For example for regular suspension, front strut part code is 485208Z034 but for sport type the code is 485208Z035.

Please confirm whether they actually different parts and thus the driving experience and ride quality will be different (between S model and others)?

Thank you
The S model has a rougher ride than does the LE, LE+, L, or any other model. It's supposed to be more of a sport suspension, but for most people I recommend the suspension the LE and all other models have. The S suspension is stiffer. (a little bit) I tested the S first. When I went on the same rough road in the LE it felt much more comfortable. In the S it seemed like you felt every bump.

People may disagree and rightfully so. It would be hard to tell what suspension you were driving if you didn't know the model.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Can confirm the s CVT is pretty fun on the Twisties, much much better than expected. However on the 405 south between Mulholland and the 10 the wheel bounce is shocking. It's not teeth rattling by absolutely no means, it's just annoying loud. I'm not sure how the LE suspension is I doubt it's much different. That said there is literally no sound deadening in this car, I now have that situation rectified and it is much better. Like night and day better, having been driving luxury vehicles for the past ten years, I would doubt that a blindfolded person would know they are not sitting in a Lexus. Check this out https://vid.me/kwUz

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla S Premium w/TRD rear sway bar and 10th Gen TRD front strut bar
9 Posts
This may be an old post, but I have a 2016 S Premium (CVT only) bought new in March 2016.
An 'S' was what I had originally test drove, and presumed that all the Corollas featured the same suspension tuning much as they had in the past.
I enjoyed the comfort and good-to-drive nature of my 2005 9th Gen CE 5-Speed, but figured the ride of the 11th gen S was indicative of the range as many cars have been getting stiffer (TOO stiff for an everyday car honestly). There is no good reason why a car like the Corolla needs a stiff, boy racer ride. None. I miss my comfortable Detroit FWD cars of the 80's to be honest. I myself and also the family had K cars, and they were trouble free, great in snow, confidence inspiring and good to drive, and very comfortable without excessive flop and float.

Well, when I had my car in for some minor warranty related work regarding the windshield wipers and their skipping at 45mph+ (and it never was rectified; only car I've ever had like that. Not safe at normal speeds on rainy days), I was given a loaner- a new, L with the 4-Speed automatic. My goodness, what a difference!

The L was much more comfortable, it was much quieter, and to top it off, was more fun to drive overall and through curvy roads. My S felt awkward and skittery by comparison- too harsh for no perceptible gain.
Interestingly, once I added the TRD rear anti-sway bar and the front TRD Strut Tower Brace (10th gen piece- bolts in and fits perfectly), my S seemed to ride more comfortably and controlled with less harshness and better steering response as well. The TRD pieces made the S feel how I believe it should have felt directly from the factory.

I know it's the suspension tuning that makes the most difference. How/Why one may ask? Why, my 15" alloy and winter tire set, that's what. Even on "little" 15's and squishy snow tires, my S is still surprisingly stiff. I would have anticipated a much larger reduction in firmness.

What I've learned is that if/when I need to replace my struts/shock absorbers, I plan on replacing the springs too and going with the softer L/LE pieces all around.

Many miles of happy motoring,

Steven

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,325 Posts
This may be an old post, but I have a 2016 S Premium (CVT only) bought new in March 2016.
An 'S' was what I had originally test drove, and presumed that all the Corollas featured the same suspension tuning much as they had in the past.
I enjoyed the comfort and good-to-drive nature of my 2005 9th Gen CE 5-Speed, but figured the ride of the 11th gen S was indicative of the range as many cars have been getting stiffer (TOO stiff for an everyday car honestly). There is no good reason why a car like the Corolla needs a stiff, boy racer ride. None. I miss my comfortable Detroit FWD cars of the 80's to be honest. I myself and also the family had K cars, and they were trouble free, great in snow, confidence inspiring and good to drive, and very comfortable without excessive flop and float.

Well, when I had my car in for some minor warranty related work regarding the windshield wipers and their skipping at 45mph+ (and it never was rectified; only car I've ever had like that. Not safe at normal speeds on rainy days), I was given a loaner- a new, L with the 4-Speed automatic. My goodness, what a difference!

The L was much more comfortable, it was much quieter, and to top it off, was more fun to drive overall and through curvy roads. My S felt awkward and skittery by comparison- too harsh for no perceptible gain.
Interestingly, once I added the TRD rear anti-sway bar and the front TRD Strut Tower Brace (10th gen piece- bolts in and fits perfectly), my S seemed to ride more comfortably and controlled with less harshness and better steering response as well. The TRD pieces made the S feel how I believe it should have felt directly from the factory.

I know it's the suspension tuning that makes the most difference. How/Why one may ask? Why, my 15" alloy and winter tire set, that's what. Even on "little" 15's and squishy snow tires, my S is still surprisingly stiff. I would have anticipated a much larger reduction in firmness.

What I've learned is that if/when I need to replace my struts/shock absorbers, I plan on replacing the springs too and going with the softer L/LE pieces all around.

Many miles of happy motoring,

Steven
The biggest difference in ride on the Corolla will be from tire selection. Even brand new Corollas came with 3 different tire sizes. The 195/65R15 will give the most comfortable ride but they handle worse, brake worse, and the steering response is worse than lower profile choices. The 205/55R16 will be a little stiffer with the shorter sidewall but performance is better. The 215/45R17 tire that 11th Gen Corolla came with is actually too small. It's smaller than the other OEM tire sizes I listed which only makes the ride worse. The proper size is a 225/45R17 which strangely enough comes on the Corolla iM hatchback. Within every tire size there are tires that ride better than others.

The benefit of the TRD FSB and RSB is that they allow the suspension to work better by isolating it. as you improve the chassis the suspension works better and even a firm suspension can feel very good. The S spring are slightly stiffer than the L/LE springs but not enough to make much of any difference. I have always worked to improve the chassis on my cars so that they handle and ride better.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla S Premium w/TRD rear sway bar and 10th Gen TRD front strut bar
9 Posts
It's a street car. "Worse" is a relative term, and not everyone is into hooning their rides or track days thank you very much. All this talk about handling is ridiculous and not part of the scope of the Corolla as a daily driver whose owner doesn't want to be beat up or put up with excessive noise in the name of "handling". Perhaps their aim to have an exceptionally competent and comfortable driving car that can ease itself over the broken pavement of the frosty north.

I already know about the tire sizes for the Corollas. For FFS, they had 15, 16, 17, and TRD 18 options and several tire types in between. Many cars have several different wheel and tire size combinations. Did you know that, or do I have to list them for you?
I believe you shouldn't be ASSuming that just since you haven't seen me post much/am newer to the forum that I am uneducated or unintelligent, especially regarding basic automotive technicalities or even more so, horticulture. You will find I do not take kindly to that.

Sorry, but my actual experience proves you wrong in regards to the general ride regarding tire size and selection at least in the sense of the 15" vs 17". Also having driven L and S models back to back, in their basic stock forms also indicates that is the case. Plus, you're ignoring the fact that I've driven L and S models on 15" wheels and tires, and my statement stands and is correct. The S is much harsher, especially w/o the TRD bits.

Steven

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,325 Posts
It's a street car. "Worse" is a relative term, and not everyone is into hooning their rides or track days thank you very much. All this talk about handling is ridiculous and not part of the scope of the Corolla as a daily driver whose owner doesn't want to be beat up or put up with excessive noise in the name of "handling". Perhaps their aim to have an exceptionally competent and comfortable driving car that can ease itself over the broken pavement of the frosty north.

I already know about the tire sizes for the Corollas. For FFS, they had 15, 16, 17, and TRD 18 options and several tire types in between. Many cars have several different wheel and tire size combinations. Did you know that, or do I have to list them for you?
I believe you shouldn't be ASSuming that just since you haven't seen me post much/am newer to the forum that I am uneducated or unintelligent, especially regarding basic automotive technicalities or even more so, horticulture. You will find I do not take kindly to that.

Sorry, but my actual experience proves you wrong in regards to the general ride regarding tire size and selection at least in the sense of the 15" vs 17". Also having driven L and S models back to back, in their basic stock forms also indicates that is the case. Plus, you're ignoring the fact that I've driven L and S models on 15" wheels and tires, and my statement stands and is correct. The S is much harsher, especially w/o the TRD bits.

Steven
You will find that many if not most of the people on here are part of TN because we are enthusiasts and just because the car is a Corolla doesn't mean that it can't be made to handle better. It's a daily driver for many but many want to make it handle better or add some power. I was a part of this forum when the 10th Gen was new and we were all learning how this car could be made to handle better as many of us wanted that. I was just sharing this information. I will usually try to be as complete with information so that it can help others that might not know as much as you. I wasn't assuming anything and that's why I was trying to explain things more completely. I don't know how much you know but just realize that a reply to you is also for everyone to understand better that might not know as much as you. Please don't take it as an attack since it wasn't. I'm just providing more information for everyone to understand.

I too have driven many different Corollas on many different size tires. I've worked for Toyota, sold Toyotas, been in the service side and tire side so I'm well educated about cars from most every angle. I just try to add information which is what this forum is about. You can take what you what or need and ignore what you don't. I'm sure that you can add plenty of information to the group but please realize that some people here know very little about cars and want to learn while others know a lot.

Without us knowing each other it can take a while to learn what we all know. I've enjoyed getting to know people that I got to know on the forum and actually met when I was on a road trip. I live in WA State and back in 2015 I drove to Key West, FL. I got to meet Alex near Miami and it was a lot of fun to put a face to a name. I also met up with Greg in St. Louis and it was fun seeing each others Corollas. I think of us on here as more of a family with similar interests so if something doesn't ever sit right with you that I post just ask me. Sometimes it's hard to get the post across with a post and sometimes I'm not as clear as I could of been. Most of the time it's not a big deal so there is no point in getting bent out of shape over any different points of view.

Here is when Alex and I met up. The security guard took the picture and he was excited since he owned a Corolla too and his security car was a Corolla for the mall!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear all members,

Thank you
Can we use any other car's suspension on our 2014 corolla?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts