Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y’all! My 2010 corolla S 5 speed shakes when at idle after the car is warmed up But it comes and goes.
The rpms drop from 900- 500 or 400 and it starts to shake. It does not shake very bad and it goes away when I’m driving it but it is noticeable.
I checked my battery and it’s fully charged at 12.5 V but when I checked the battery with the car in cold start idle (not shaking) i noticed the battery is being charged by the alternator @13.5 Volts
After I let the car warm up and turn on all accessories (AC, radio, Hugh beams, roll down windows) the car shakes and with the multi meter it shows the battery is being charged at 12.9 V which is very low imo
Is my alternator bad ?
Or my spark plugs ?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
"battery is being charged at 12.9 V which is very"
Measure voltage at the alternator if 12.9v then suspect alternator.
Should hold 13.5v with all accessories/light on.

12.5 bat fully charged is probably best to replace it especially if 3-4 years old.

·
5,915 Posts
Engine shudder with ALL accessories on should not be much influenced by a bit low charging current. MOF, low charge may be caused simply by poor idle.
I'd start with checking tension on serpentine belt. 9 yr old vehicle chance is, it needs to be replaced.
Drop in RPM should be addressed, that's for sure. When was the last tune up done and what was done?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve never done a tune up besides replacing engine oil, transmission oil,air filter and cabin are filters
What does a tune up consist of for the corolla ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"battery is being charged at 12.9 V which is very"
Measure voltage at the alternator if 12.9v then suspect alternator.
Should hold 13.5v with all accessories/light on.

12.5 bat fully charged is probably best to replace it especially if 3-4 years old.
Yes voltage at the alternator is 12.9 V
Maybe it can be a loose serpentine belt

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Hold idle speed to normal 650-700?
If still measures 12.9v with electrical load then suspect alternator if belt tight.
Belt tightness can be tested. Shouldn't be able to twist say more than 90 degress.

·
Registered
271 Posts
There are a bunch of posts on here about rough\low idle. The causes range from bad spark plugs, dirty MAF sensor, pcv valve, dirty throttle body, vacuum leak, to even a bad head gasket, which I just experienced. I would start with the easy stuff that should be done anyway and work your way up to the more involved items until your problem gets better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I had a dime for every report/question I've read about our generation Corolla 1.8 with the low idle/shake problem, because I was looking for them trying to find out what was causing mine, too.

I tried most everything mentioned short of changing my pcv valve, taking it to Toyota to reflash the computer, or check the compression for possible head gasket breach (which I'm not doing). I was hoping my recent alternator/belt change would fix it, but it didn't.

I've been doing most of my driving at night lately, and during the day using the AC, both which trigger a higher idle so haven't had to worry about it. If you don't find a solution and it's really bugging you then do what I thought of doing and cover your light sensor on the dash with some tape or something so that it thinks it's night time. The lights automatically will come on when you have the key on, and off when you turn it off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Keep your headlights turned on and see if it helps, I cut my DRL wire and got in the habit on turning them on 24/7. IT helped fix my idle issue at stoplights or coming to a stop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
ZackSherman
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing