Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1994 MR2 Turbo
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister has a '97 Corolla DX(?) that shakes really bad over 60mph. The whole car kind of vibrates and it gets worse the faster you go. I told her to get the wheels balanced and make sure the alignment on the car was good but even after this the car still shakes. Any ideas? I'm thinking ball joints or cv joints at this point.

·
Registered
95 Toyota Corolla DX
272 Posts
Matt94MR2 said:
My sister has a '97 Corolla DX(?) that shakes really bad over 60mph. The whole car kind of vibrates and it gets worse the faster you go. I told her to get the wheels balanced and make sure the alignment on the car was good but even after this the car still shakes. Any ideas? I'm thinking ball joints or cv joints at this point.
hehe my 95 rolla and my dad's 97 rolla hav the same problem... i dunno y... my dad had its tires balanced pretty good and still hav little vibration at 110km/h to be precise but after that like 120km/h plus no vibration...

·
1 4/\/\ +3|-| |\|00|3
273 Posts
maybe the wheels themselves need to be replaced?

My 98 corolla only shakes on like 80+(mph) on bad roads or the oldest pavement parts of the 78 freeway in San marcos/Vista CA

·
Registered
1994 MR2 Turbo
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dlichterman said:
maybe the wheels themselves need to be replaced?
They also have a 93 Tercel and I was going to try exchanging the wheels/tires on the Tercel and Corolla to see if it fixes the problem. This should rule out any wheel/tire problems but if the wheel was damaged it would have probably been caught when they balanced them. I assume both cars are the same lug pattern. I should also mention that the vibration actually decreased, but definately didn't go away, around 80+mph. Thanks for the responses, keep them coming.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
who did the work on your car? alot of places tear up more than they fix by over torqing the wheel lugs with impact wrenches which happened in my case and warped the rotors/drums. try loosening the lugs to 74lbs with a torque wrench and see if that helps, if not then see if the rotors/drums need machining. :naughty:

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
Mileage? I drove a customers 217,000 mile 93 corolla yesterday and I swear the wheel bearings were about to fall out and the control arms too! Maybe they live on a long dirt road....

·
Whine connoisseur
2004 Corolla S
473 Posts
1st thing...is the shaking in the steering wheel or on your ass? will let you know where to start looking.
If you got the tires balance and the car aligned and nobody said anything to you about the tires being bad or the axle or ball joints or....you need to smack that mechanic

·
Registered
1994 MR2 Turbo
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Again, this isn't my car but I will try to answer the questions as best I can.

01loadedLE said:
who did the work on your car? alot of places tear up more than they fix by over torqing the wheel lugs with impact wrenches which happened in my case and warped the rotors/drums. try loosening the lugs to 74lbs with a torque wrench and see if that helps, if not then see if the rotors/drums need machining. :naughty:
It was just a wheel/tire place, I think Les Schwab. I don't think it's warped rotors though because the car vibrates while accelerating and not using the brakes. But I will make sure I torque the lugs to spec when I swap wheels next week.
Tercel GTS said:
Mileage? I drove a customers 217,000 mile 93 corolla yesterday and I swear the wheel bearings were about to fall out and the control arms too! Maybe they live on a long dirt road....
I believe it has around 85K miles on the car but they bought it used and I have a feeling it was abused by the previous owners. It seems to have a lot more problems then most toyotas I have owned/seen with comparable mileage.
adsaba1969 said:
1st thing...is the shaking in the steering wheel or on your ass? will let you know where to start looking.
If you got the tires balance and the car aligned and nobody said anything to you about the tires being bad or the axle or ball joints or....you need to smack that mechanic
Both, I was riding in the back seat and I could feel the shaking and you can see the steering wheel vibrating. Basically the whole car shakes. I'm going out of town this weekend but when I get back I'm going to try swapping the wheels/tires off of her husbands Tercel and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't I will start looking at the suspension.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Before getting an alignment what my mechanic does while my cars up on the lifts is he grabs each side of the tire and as hard as he can tries to find any play at all that could be a sign of a bad/worn tie rod or ball joints if they don't do this and just align the car then its just a waste of money if these problems do exist...also doing this can tell if your wheel bearings are getting worn...not saying this is your problem but a certain high speed shake is mostly always in your tires balance...Radd Guy...Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
warped rotors/drums will cause vibration during any driving at those speeds. after I got mine machined it greatly lessened the vibration. I swapped the tires around until I found that two wheels were causing the remaining vibration. one tire is warped and I suspect the other is also, both wheels are fine. so those two vibration causers are now on the back where there's less weight and I hardly have any vibration now at all. :whatwhat:

·
Registered
5 Posts
asdf

i had the same problem with my 86. 80+mph it shakes like hell. for me it was the tierods. your situation seems similar. and by the way, if u have any good mechanic friends, ask them. mechanics at some shops tend to tell u that u need something u actually don't.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
tdk_klink said:
mechanics at some shops tend to tell u that u need something u actually don't.
true, they find any excuse to get you to use them instead of anyone else, and to pay for extra parts/labor that you dont need so they can get the most money out of your wallet into theirs.

·
Registered
983 Posts
tdk_klink said:
i had the same problem with my 86. 80+mph it shakes like hell. for me it was the tierods. your situation seems similar. and by the way, if u have any good mechanic friends, ask them. mechanics at some shops tend to tell u that u need something u actually don't.
How true...My AC was clicking on and off only when the outside temp was over 90F...My brother had some professional gauges to check the freon, it was perfect.. so I took it to a local shop that was near me and told him about the problem, his first remark was that he saw this problem all summer long and it was short on freon...I told him I didn't think that was the problem and to check it out anyway...He called me later that afternoon telling me it was a couple pounds low and it would be around $100 to replace...I told him "forget it" and took it to a Conrad's(a AAA shop) It was a high end blockage and still cost me $150 to fix but they saved all of the freon and works perfect now...It would have cost me $100(first shop) and I still would have had the problem, Those Rip off mechanics prey mostly on women, kids and seniors...sad....Radd Guy

"Keep knockin on the Devils door and one of these days someones gonna answer you"

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same shaking at high speed problem with my 2012 Corolla LE (125k miles) but it only shakes for about 20 seconds during each trip. I’ll check the freon pressure. I’ll report back when I diagnose the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.