Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Corolla CE with 115,000 miles. I had new front struts done two years ago at around 80,000 to 85,000 miles. I had to have the stabilizer bars replaced and the garage said that the shocks were leaking. This should not happen after 30,000 miles. Decent shocks should last 50,000 especially with a lot of highway driving.
Can anyone give me the name of the solid, heavier duty shocks to install that will last at least 50,000 miles? The original shocks from the factory lasted 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Were you able to verify that the shocks are truly leaking? Has the car’s ride deteriorated?

I ask because my corolla is still on factory shocks with 130k+ miles and its been through it’s fair share of horrible roads.

·
Various Toyotas
4,906 Posts
Why did you have the front struts replaced at 80K miles?

Why was the stabilizer bar replaced? That's not usually something you need to replace unless it was damaged in an accident, or do you mean you had the stabilizer bar end links replaced?

What brand/model of struts did you have installed two years ago? Cheap, low-quality struts could easily go bad in 30K miles.

I have 389K miles on my 2004 Corolla, and believe it or not I still have the original factory struts. The ride is fine, and I've never had uneven tire wear. Yes, really....the struts are still working fine. Unless you've been awfully rough with your Corolla, driving often on bumpy dirt roads or something, then I don't see why you'd need struts after only 80K miles.

Your garage says your struts are leaking? Is it the same garage that replaced them two years ago? Are you experiencing any ride problems viz a viz the suspension? I suggest you clean your struts and then drive the car for a couple of weeks and inspect them yourself to see if they are leaking. If they are not leaking at all, then you need to not go back to that garage.

Asking for strut recommendations is going to give you a lot of subjective answers of opinion. I'd go with KYB, but many others prefer Monroe, Gabriel, Tokico, Bilstein, among others. What I would not do is get the bargain priced economy struts.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,106 Posts
Shops mantra. Upsell everything.

Sorry op, you got taken. The shop likely kept the original struts for themselves along with the stabilizer bar.

The shop likely used something cheap that would only get you a few years before they start to fail.

Best thing to do at this point, is to look into a better quality strut like KYB.

I have 128k on my original struts on my corolla xrs.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,106 Posts
I don't know about that. He may need to inquire with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2006 Corolla CE with 115,000 miles. I had new front struts done two years ago at around 80,000 to 85,000 miles. I had to have the stabilizer bars replaced and the garage said that the shocks were leaking. This should not happen after 30,000 miles. Decent shocks should last 50,000 especially with a lot of highway driving.
Can anyone give me the name of the solid, heavier duty shocks to install that will last at least 50,000 miles? The original shocks from the factory lasted 80,000 miles.
Were you able to verify that the shocks are truly leaking? Has the car’s ride deteriorated?

I ask because my corolla is still on factory shocks with 130k+ miles and its been through it’s fair share of horrible roads.
I was not able to verify the leakage. There is no waiting at garages now and they try to keep people off the floor with personal distancing rule. The ride has deteriorated quite a bit in the last few weeks. Replacing the stabilizer bars has improved the ride a bit, but I still get a thump on the front passenger side that is greater than the driver's side when hitting a bump.
Would a Toyota dealership be any better? They would at least have the correct struts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why did you have the front struts replaced at 80K miles?

Why was the stabilizer bar replaced? That's not usually something you need to replace unless it was damaged in an accident, or do you mean you had the stabilizer bar end links replaced?

What brand/model of struts did you have installed two years ago? Cheap, low-quality struts could easily go bad in 30K miles.

I have 387K miles on my 2004 Corolla, and believe it or not I still have the original factory struts. The ride is fine, and I've never had uneven tire wear. Yes, really....the struts are still working fine. Unless you've been awfully rough with your Corolla, driving often on bumpy dirt roads or something, then I don't see why you'd need struts after only 80K miles.

Your garage says your struts are leaking? Is it the same garage that replaced them two years ago? Are you experiencing any ride problems viz a viz the suspension? I suggest you clean your struts and then drive the car for a couple of weeks and inspect them yourself to see if they are leaking. If they are not leaking at all, then you need to not go back to that garage.

Asking for strut recommendations is going to give you a lot of subjective answers of opinion. I'd go with KYB, but many others prefer Monroe, Gabriel, Tokico, Bilstein, among others. What I would not do is get the bargain priced economy struts.
The garage is a different NTB location, but the first set of shocks was at another NTB location. The car is used: bought a 2006 with 70,000 miles and the ride started to deteriorate around 80k. It didn't surprise me that the original equipment might go after 80K, but the latest shocks would never go after 30k. Is NTB notorious for this?
The ride is still bumpy: I get a more pronounced bounce on the passenger front side when hitting a bump. The ride is a bit improved after replacing the stabilizer bar links(no metallic sound). It could be that cheap shocks wore out and the stabilizer links got damaged. I will check on whether it was the stabilizer bar or links.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was not able to verify the leakage. There is no waiting at garages now and they try to keep people off the floor with personal distancing rule. The ride has deteriorated quite a bit in the last few weeks. Replacing the stabilizer bars has improved the ride a bit, but I still get a thump on the front passenger side that is greater than the driver's side when hitting a bump.
Would a Toyota dealership be any better? They would at least have the correct struts.
If you plan on spending as much as the car is worth, go to the dealer. Otherwise I would not recommend going to the dealer, EVER. If your shocks are "blown" researching on this site will lead you to reputable aftermarket shocks or decent "quick struts". Going this route will save you thousands over the dealer and they will last a conceivably long time

·
Various Toyotas
4,906 Posts
I would not go to NTB or a dealer because both are very expensive. Just go to a good independent mechanic shop. Ask your friends/family for anyone they know or use. Any decent mechanic can work on a Gen 9 Corolla.....what you need is a mechanic who is honest and who doesn't have the dealer's/franchise's Pezzonovante over him pressuring him to fix what ain't broken.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,106 Posts
Op, please provide pictures of the suspected leak. Did the shop install a new boot and bump stop?

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
118 Posts
I've had Bilstein Heavy Duty (now B6) last 150,000 before it started to leak,.

iirc Bilstein and Koni have lifetime warranties

·
イリジウム
12,207 Posts
As mentioned you probably have to find a decent indie specializing in Japanese cars.
If you like a firmer ride get the KYB (check rockauto), I prefer Monroe OESpectrum struts. Get assemblies when available.

Monroe’s OES/QuickStruts line offers lifetime warranty. KYB doesn’t warranty against normal wear.

NTB might have put in low grade struts. IMO they should last longer than that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts