Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit the search button, skimmed through about 4 pages, and decided I would just ask myself so I could get some opinions about my situation.

As my car sits its on WeaponR coilovers and stock struts. Needless to say Toyota struts don't work well with extremely lowered suspensions. I plan to replace the coilover sleeves with some lowering springs sometime, but for now I'm going to leave them.

With this being said, Would it be worth the extra time and money to invest in koni cartridges or would the KYB GR2s be ok?

I used to work at an Auto parts store that sold the KYBs and always heard good things from my customers, however most weren't driving a Corolla on coilovers.

Also, has anyone had any experience with the cross-drilled brake rotors they sell for the AE92s on eBay? I've heard of drilled rotors shattering but this was also on a 7700lbs truck, I'm not sure a corolla would have problems like that.

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
if you're going to lower it a lot, definitely get the koni yellows, my GR-2s blew in less than a year with my APEX springs (1.7" drop). Koni yellows are actually designed to be lowered on and are much better struts in general.

you need GT-S servicable struts to put cartridges in though.

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
there is a difference between the sr5 and gts cartridge? I have 1 front gts one in the garage, most I can see is they look identical.
most Sr-5 struts aren't serviceable. you need to replace the whole thing. I have heard some are, but I've also heard those are narrower than the GT-S ones...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So where would I find the lower halves of the serviceable struts?

I searched on eBay, didn't have much luck finding anything.

Also, Where do you buy the koni inserts and how much are they?

I've seen where people said Ksports could be had for 500$ but I can't really find them much under 1,000$. (note: I don't want Ksports, I was just stating I don't know where people are finding these good deals on ae92 parts such as cheaper koni struts or 500 dollar ksport sets)

Also, Any ideas on the drilled rotors? Do they actually help much? I know the idea behind them seems to help but would factory sized brakes with just drilled rotors and pads show any improvement over OEM replacement parts?

And....does anyone know where I could find the spring rate of these coilovers? I can't find where they are even for sale anymore. They were called WeaponR PROcircuit coilovers. When I bought them they had a specific listing for the corolla, now it doesn't appear they make them.

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
the rears aren't, but I didn't think they were on the gts either. Fronts on mine are. They are on all the sr5 and gts front suspensions I've had. Think 4 sets built up now. It sounds like another myth of the sr5 vs gts. Only difference I noticed on the front suspension is the front sway bar, the lack of the mounting tabs on the sr5 control arms. I would assume the shocks and or springs are a little stiffer too.

As for the rotor question. On the street I doubt you will notice a huge difference. Biggest difference would be the way they dissipate the heat and releases the gases produces from braking. In the end it reduces the fade. But you can get performance brakes that aren't drilled and slotted that will improve the braking. Just don't go cheap on them :)

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
So where would I find the lower halves of the serviceable struts?

I searched on eBay, didn't have much luck finding anything.

Also, Where do you buy the koni inserts and how much are they?

I've seen where people said Ksports could be had for 500$ but I can't really find them much under 1,000$. (note: I don't want Ksports, I was just stating I don't know where people are finding these good deals on ae92 parts such as cheaper koni struts or 500 dollar ksport sets)

Also, Any ideas on the drilled rotors? Do they actually help much? I know the idea behind them seems to help but would factory sized brakes with just drilled rotors and pads show any improvement over OEM replacement parts?

And....does anyone know where I could find the spring rate of these coilovers? I can't find where they are even for sale anymore. They were called WeaponR PROcircuit coilovers. When I bought them they had a specific listing for the corolla, now it doesn't appear they make them.
koni yellows are about $160 per corner... they're expensive.

also for brakes, I would just get some brembo stock replacements. rotors won't help you stop any faster... that's better tires are for.

you can find both on tirerack.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts