Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
First, it's my understanding that the XRS has four disc brakes, no brake shoes/drums.

Most likely it's an indication that your brake pads are worn and need replacing. The rotors (what you refer to as drums) may need to be resurfaced.

To be of real help you need to provide us with more information. What's your mileage? Is the squeaking coming from the front or rear? Does it only happen when you press the brake pedal?

· Registered
2010 corolla s
671 Posts
my corolla s also has sqeaking brakes. i took it to the service department and they said it was metalic dust coming off the brakes and going on the rotors. they also said spray some water on it and it would be fine. NOT SURE OF XRS AND S HAS THE SAME TYPE OF BRAKES

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my mileage is about 8000. i dont know if its coming from the front or rear. and yes it squeaks when i press the brake pedal. but i do notice that when i press on the brakes hard, there's no sqeaking. just when i press on it medium.

· Registered
2010 Corolla S
427 Posts
tell the dealer that you are in need of resurfacing your brakes!..same thing happened to me when my car had 5k miles and was advised my brakes needed to be resurfaced. Got that done a month and a half ago and my brakes no longer squeak..should be covered under warranty! hope this helps

· Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
i also have this problem but its when i press the brakes gently about 1/8-1/4 of the pedal i hear a high screeching sound and when i press harder it goes away. another member says its the drums but it sounds more like the brake pad wear indicator scratching at the rotor. but the xrs doesnt have drums...so we might have similar problems if the front brakes are the same and everyone else is getting the same problem.

· The random one
2010 Corolla CE
523 Posts
the thing is i dropped my car with megan springs. i heard after reconstructing your car, it voids the warranty. so idk how i'd tell the dealership to resurface my brakes.
no direct relation to the brakes/rotors. your problem is most likely cause by glazing of brake pads due by hard braking (overheating). imo resurfacing rotor even before 50k miles is a waste of money, unless your really a stop and go type of guy. this should be covered under warranty

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@MiniPacou so my warranty would cover it even if i messed around with the suspension?

@flamedrgn I got lucky and bought it from a friend who owned a 9th gen. I'm pretty sure there are good ones selling on ebay. just search for corolla 03+ drop springs.

· Ask your Mother
2009 Corolla XRS
2,034 Posts
My Brakes did the same at first. Normally the cause is "Glazing over".

Take it to the dealer and have them resurface your brakes to remove any glaze that may have developed.

That should fix it.

OEM Rotors & Pads are crappy. Bound to happen.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I talked to my dealership about it and they said if i have them remove the glaze and resurface my brakes, the glaze will just come back again no matter what. so the next question was if my warranty covered this and the guy on the phone told me it wouldnt. and the worst thing about it is paying $110 to resurface and take out the glaze. so im hella pissed right now since my warranty doesnt cover it.

· Registered
593 Posts
I talked to my dealership about it and they said if i have them remove the glaze and resurface my brakes, the glaze will just come back again no matter what. so the next question was if my warranty covered this and the guy on the phone told me it wouldnt. and the worst thing about it is paying $110 to resurface and take out the glaze. so im hella pissed right now since my warranty doesnt cover it.
If it's not covered under warranty, you can always de-glaze the rotor and pad surfaces yourself with some emery-cloth. Almost 50,000km/31000miles on mine with no noises (I clean/lubricate twice a year - spring and fall).

· Registered
2010 Corolla S
427 Posts
so if any of you remember that i mentioned roughly about a few weeks ago that resurfacing the brakes would fix the problem..i was driving back from school yest my car front brakes started to squeak again and it was not even a month since the dealer performed this "resurfacing of the rotors on my car"

during this whole month of driving I drove in dry roads..but i really dont know where to take it from there since my vehicle only has 6k miles

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.