Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removing Electronic Governor from 2005 Corolla XRS

Hi,

I am a proud owner of an XRS and I must say that it is a very fun and satisfying car. But there is something that is very disturbing to me and I hope I can find clarification on it in this forum. I wanted to know if anyone knows how to remove the electronic governor from the 2005 Corolla XRS. The speedometer goes 150 and I want to go 150. Any advice is welcomed. :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Top Speed?

I bought a 05 XRS on friday, I only have 250 miles on it so I haven't pushed it yet but has anyone topped their xrs out? If so how fast will it go? Also, any tips on the car? Thanks

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
I don't recommend topping it out until you break it in.. wait a couple thousand miles :)

And btw, XRS == saweet :thumbup:

·
That One Guy...
2001 Camry XLE
922 Posts
just my thoughts....

well going on that the celi gt-s is only supposed to get around 140 or so.. correct me if im wrong.. going on that i wouldnt believe the xrs could even top 130.. i would gess 120-125 maybe higher.. not sure.. considering the hp decrease

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Driving the XRS involves technique. Right now, for the most part you should refrain from hitting lift, but you should once in a while use the full rev range and push it right up to 8300 rpm. I still have 1900 KM so about 100 KM more to go before break-in, but I must have hit lift about 19-20 times. I have already raced 6-7 cars including V6 models and have yet not been beaten. That should tell you enough about how good this car is. My kill list is ( and yeah, they all were racing all out...LOL):

Jetta 1.8 Turbo
Toyota Avalon XLS V6
Subaru SVX inline 6
Ford Probe GT V6
Acura RSX Base Coupe ( mudered this one).
03 - 05 Civic Si hatchback ( easy kill)
99 Pontiac Grand Prix V6
Grand Am GT

·
Registered
86 Posts
silver04rollas said:
Driving the XRS involves technique. Right now, for the most part you should refrain from hitting lift, but you should once in a while use the full rev range and push it right up to 8300 rpm. I still have 1900 KM so about 100 KM more to go before break-in, but I must have hit lift about 19-20 times. I have already raced 6-7 cars including V6 models and have yet not been beaten. That should tell you enough about how good this car is. My kill list is ( and yeah, they all were racing all out...LOL):

Jetta 1.8 Turbo
Toyota Avalon XLS V6
Subaru SVX inline 6
Ford Probe GT V6
Acura RSX Base Coupe ( mudered this one).
03 - 05 Civic Si hatchback ( easy kill)
99 Pontiac Grand Prix V6
Grand Am GT
subaru svx is a boxer / flat 6.

·
Registered
33 Posts
From owning one and the way the car drives I would not be suprised one bit if it could do 150 and still handle great. If you could find out how to remove that electronic limitation please let me know I would be the first in line to take it off my car. :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
If I remeber right the speed govener is part of the ECU, so there really is no way to get rid of it, but I have heard of places that reprogram it w/o the limiter, the only problem is u wont be able to drive for a couple of days. Ill try to find a link

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Beside wanting to die or get a huge ticket and lose your licence, I don't see any reason to drive at 150MPH. Spend money on something you can use, like suspension, brake, body kit even neons.
You can't even hit 150 on track.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the easiest may to get rid of the speed limitor is the unichip. Unichip is a piggy back unit, that have been proven on the 2zz-ge for quite a while. They offer pre tuned version and it is also possible to get cutom tune depending of engine mod, exhaust, CAI....

It appear to give impressive gain for a piggy back unit and if you need to go back to the dealer, you just unplug and it leave no trace.

I haven't ordered mine yet, cause i'm waiting exhaust and CAI to get correct tuning....

See Y'a

rirolarma
Black 05 XRS

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
You should not take the speed limiter off because it is there to protect the passenger. Considering the small size of Corolla XRS, the safety cage will be rendered useless in an impact at over 130 mph ( I know Celica GT-S goes up to 140 mph with the same engine, but does not mean Celica GT-S is safer. As a matter of fact, Corollas are a lot safer than Celicas, but at that speed death will occur in either case). If you want to go 150 mph, get a Mustang Cobra or GT or even a Lexus LS430, GS430 etc. They all can handle that speed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Driving off a cliff is probably your best bet...you will easily reach speeds of over 150 mph and you may even reach terminal velocity. Doesn't that sound fun?:lol:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts