Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys driven or driven in a new corolla xrs yet? Since the xrs is powered by the same high revving 2zz engine in the celica GTS (which i'm sure it performs much better in because of its sporty build rather then the corollas 4door sedan build), i was just wondering how the xrs would compare?

thnx

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
I've driven it a couple of times. It's an awesome car. When the lift happens your head gets pushed back a little. Very fun car. Handles awesome. I like driving it beter than the tC. Havent driven the gts in a while to compare.

·
Registered
boosted corolla
252 Posts
its the same engine de-tuned a little...

If you think thats fast you should ride in a supercharged S! j/k... its a quick car, especially since its pretty light.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
I've had my XRS for 3 months now (used to own a Celica GTS a few years back).

Yeah it's fast. Actually I personally feel that the detuned engine was a better idea because I have awesome low-end torque (which the GTS sucked at). When you hit "lift" your head (and eyes) are pushed backways into the seat - and wow what a sound - like music.

XRS suspension is firm but tad softer into turns than the GTS but I have no problems with that. GTS would litterally turn on rails. XRS is pretty close but you get a bit more drift (higher center of gravity?? (Yeah yeah Jeff - 'lower it" ;)). Now I ain't into slaloming on mountain roads - just straight line accel so that's no biggie to me. A Corolla is easier to get into than the Celica (damn near fell over trying to get/lay-down into the GTS a few months back).:lol:

·
Registered
188 Posts
i wish i can change my corolla 2004s for the xrs :-(

·
Registered
30 Posts
i luv my xrs... i love the sound it makes once you get up into the upper rpm range.. and it has a nice little kick too. i especially like how it handles though... not sure if the handling is good, but its defianetly like it was on rails compared to my previous car...

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have had my xrs for 2 weeks now and i love it. i used to have a '94 sentra se-r and i thought that was a great car, but the xrs is far better. its about time toyota offered something with a little more power in the corolla...next step, making it even faster;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea... they should make it faster tho... since the production of the celica is done by 2005, i dont see the point in holding back. The "replacement" for the celica, the tC, doesn't compare to either the Xrs or the GTS, so i dont even know why they bothered, but it does look nice.
Oh yea, I want to know if you guys have any opinons on the SE-R spec V's? I think its a perfect match. the Xrs vs. Spec V. It's like a 4 door versioned match of the often compared GTS and Type s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just love it

I've had mine since about a month now. That extra lift is just addictive, you just want it again and again

... but just watch where you're using the power ;)

highway driving suits it better I think, it doesn't feel as quick off the line as my previous car ... but then again I haven't really tried to launch it properly either (i must be getting old i guess ;))

but what i love most about it is the sleeper look, most kids with crappy old civics that stick themselves on your back bumper on the highway have a kind of puzzled look on their face when you launch away in third at 75MPH ... I LOVE IT !!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
anyone know any 'specific' message boards on the net exclusive for corolla XRS????? :D

btw i own one for 2 months now...i love it. i want to add an exhuast/intake and some racin wheels ..:D

·
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
I loved mine until today. Some stupid arse truck flung up a rock or bolt which damn near came right through the windshield. It has to be the hardest impact I've ever seen and made me wonder if it cracked the inside too.:eek:

And I was only doing 100km at the time. Dang.

I dunno what the heck is up with Toyota's glass. Either the glass is cheaper these days or there's more garbage on the roads because I've replaced 3 windows in 3 years...and not one in the previous 15 years to that.

Ok rant over.

Anyone know who's selling those Titanium Windshields in Canada? The one's with a guarantee of non-breakage?

Whatever the cost, I'm putting one on because this is nuts.
:disappoin

·
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Re: i just love it

ascenzia said:
what i love most about it is the sleeper look, most kids with crappy old civics that stick themselves on your back bumper on the highway have a kind of puzzled look on their face when you launch away in third at 75MPH ... I LOVE IT !!!
Hey ascenzia! Welcome to the boards! ;) I see you finally picked up your XRS now that you've been drooling over over mine. If you're ever out Scarborough way, let me know and I can grab the other XRS guys in the office. ;)

Yeah I agree with you. Nothing beats it when you see a Civic owner's jaw flap around when you drop the hammer and fly past them like they were standing still.

Now if only there was a puddle to splash them...the scene would be perfect.:lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just curious, what do you guys think of the SE-R spec V? It's a tough competitor against the Xrs, but they are pretty close. Cause in the near future, I might be deciding between a Spec V (probably 03 cause i don't not like the new styling) or Xrs.

·
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Sorry. I don't like Nissan customer service and support. Not particularly a big fan...so SpecV is out.

Seriously...how many Sentra's do you see on the road? Virtually none. Why? Because they are butt ugly. UGGGGGGGLY!:bleh: If it was any more rounded...it would be a Ford Taurus!

If you want speed for 1 hour every two weeks, try Formula 1. ;)
If you want speed and a commuter car, try Corolla XRS. :thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
ricecooker said:
I'm just curious, what do you guys think of the SE-R spec V? It's a tough competitor against the Xrs, but they are pretty close. Cause in the near future, I might be deciding between a Spec V (probably 03 cause i don't not like the new styling) or Xrs.
I test drove a spec-v before deciding on my xrs and I'd have to say the spec-v was pretty impressive but it's really not much different from the rolla. Basically what it comes down to is pay a few grand more for the spec-v and get a couple more horses and a less luxurious car. or pay under 20k and get a loaded xrs. they are much nicer inside and out, plus it comes with all kinds of good standard bells and whistles. but the spec-v might pull on it a little in a drag. Anyways, the best thing to do is go check out prices and test drive 'em. It's too close to call.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Corolla XRS is a greate car. My girlfriend has a tC and it is fast, but XRS is more. Is the best Corolla ever. I am waiting for the TRD Supercharger for it, but I think they are still working on it because the compression ratio.

XtremeRacingPR.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got my XRS on 9/22/04. I traded "down or across" or something from an 04 Solara V6 Sport. Found the hassle of kids and 2 doors too much, plus the auto trans sucked.

The XRS is much more fun to drive, even if I pretty much only drive in town. It's much easier to zip around with the awesome 6sp, plus the car has way more torque than I expected. No problem driving in 5th or even 6th on flat roads in town at 40mph or so.

Just waiting to get it broke in so I can take it through a couple of gears.

And it handles way better than the Solara, but the Solara was quite a good deal, it was really close to what I imagine what driving a Lexus would be. The car was eerily quiet, no wind noise, no engine noise until you floored it. But needed a 4dr and Toyota came thru at the right time finally with a 4dr with some performance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
any of you find it difficult to stay in lift? I read another post that said it was difficult to stay in lift since toyota raised the engagment point on the retuned engine compared to earlier versions to the engine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts