Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the avalon has 210k...no history of fluid change, pls confirm the fluid type is toyota type t iv.

lots of confusing info on the web....and dont have owners manual

·
Registered
26 Posts
The trans dipstick on my 00' says Dexron III. That's what I used. If the fluid hasn't been changed for 210k miles I recommend you do a drain and fill (w/ filter change) and not flush it.

Edit: Also, don't forget to drain the differential. It has a separate drain plug, but gets filled from the same dipstick tube.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I use Valvoline Maxlife in all of mine. 1999-2005

·
Registered
416 Posts
2003-2004
Recommended Fluids: Engine Oil SAE 5W-30
Hybrid Transaxle Toyota Genuine ATF T-IV
Transfer Case N/A
Manual Transmission N/A
Coolant Toyota Super Long Life Coolant with Ethylene-Glycol Type
Differential N/A
Fuel Unleaded Gasoline, Octane Rating 87 or Higher
Power Steering DEXRON II or III
Brakes DOT 3

2000-2002
Automatic Transmission Toyota Genuine ATF DEXRON ll or III
Transfer Case N/A
Manual Transmission N/A
Differential N/A
Brakes DOT 3

·
Registered
266 Posts
2003-2004
Hybrid Transaxle Toyota Genuine ATF T-IV
Transfer Case N/A
Manual Transmission N/A
Differential N/A
Brakes DOT 3

2000-2002
Automatic Transmission Toyota Genuine ATF DEXRON ll or III
Transfer Case N/A
Manual Transmission N/A
Differential N/A
Brakes DOT 3
I put ATF T-IV in my 2002 about 1,000 miles ago.

A lot smoother at shifting, and no problems so far.. hopefully none will occur.

·
Registered
2001 Avln, 2009 Taco
197 Posts
I found this here: http://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/autotransfluid

Type A and Type A, Suffix A—very old transmission fluids superseded by Dexron and Mercon. Equivalent to Mercedes-Benz Sheet 232.2.

Dexron, Dexron II, IID, and Dexron IIE—these are the original GM Dexron ATFs and are no longer licensed by the company, having been superseded by Dexron III, which has now itself been superseded by Dexron VI. The difference between Dexron, II, and IIE was mostly in the oxidation inhibitors.

Dexron III and IIIH—OE ATF at GM for many years and widely adopted by other manufacturers. General Motors now considers all of them to be obsolete and discontinued licensing Dexron IIIH in 2006. Dexron IV was an upgraded version of Dexron III, which was used by GM only briefly.

Dexron III/Saturn—a version of Dexron III developed for certain Saturn models.

Dexron VI—the newest GM ATF, it was developed specifically for the new six-speed automatic and is a synthetic blend (meaning it has some conventional base stocks). That transmission has tighter internal tolerances and required a fluid that had higher shear strength that Dexron III.

[Dextron VI] was introduced with the 2006 models. GM considers Dexron VI to be "backward compatible," meaning GM recommends it for use in any vehicle that originally used any earlier version of Dexron and that it can be mixed with them. However, GM specifically recommends against using Dexron VI in non-GM made vehicles that used Dexron III as original equipment. It is also the specified ATF in certain non-GM models that use GM transmissions, such as BMW. It is not, however, specified for GM brand vehicles that have non-GM transmissions, as mentioned above, or are imported to the United States.

NOTE: Dexron VI is not recommended for: Pontiac Vibe and Wave, Chevy Aveo, Epica, and Equinox, Saturn ION with CVT or AF23 transmission, Saturn Vue with CVT, AF33 or 5AT transmissions, or 1991–2002 Saturn S. These are vehicles with transmissions that were not manufactured by General Motors.

Ford Type F—an old ATF first introduced in 1967 and used in all Ford products prior to 1977, and in some until 1980; also used in various import vehicles of the period, including Mercury Capri, Jaguar, Mazda, Saab, Toyota, and Volvo. Type F is not compatible with any other ATF. Specifically, it is not compatible with Mercon ATFs.

Ford Type H—developed for the C5 Ford automatic transmission introduced in 1981, it has been superseded by Mercon. Type H is not compatible with Type F and should not be used in a transmission requiring Type F.

Ford Type CJ—originally designed for the Ford C6 automatic transmission, it also has been superseded by Mercon and also can be replaced with Mercon V, but should never be used in a transmission requiring Type F. Dexron II is an approved alternative to Type CJ.

Mercon—introduced in 1987 and similar to Dexron II. Ford ceased licensing Mercon in 2007 and now recommends Mercon V for all transmissions that previously used Mercon. Mercon is a suitable replacement for Type H and Type CJ fluid, but not for Type F.

Mercon V—the most common Ford ATF in late model Fords, it is very much like Dexron III. Should not be used in a transmission requiring Ford Type F.

Mercon LV—the latest Ford ATF, it is factory fill in 2008 and later Fords. The LV stands for "low viscosity." It is a fully synthetic ATF. It is not compatible with earlier Mercon fluids, so it should neither be mixed with Mercon or Mercon V used to replace those fluids. It is not compatible with any other fluid, either.

Mercon SP—a version of Mercon V with an enhanced additive package.

Mercon CVT—Ford ATF specifically developed it for models with continuously variable transmissions.

Toyota Types T, T-II and T-III—Toyota ATFs, which have now been superseded by Type T-IV.

Toyota Type T-IV—Toyota fluid specified for Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Sold only at Toyota or Lexus dealers or online. Replaces Types I, II, and III. Also used in Pontiac Vibe (which has a Toyota powertrain).

Toyota Type T-V—synthetic low viscosity Toyota ATF, also used in Lexus vehicles.

Toyota WS—this is the newest Toyota fluid and it is also a lower viscosity fluid than Type T-IV. The "WS" stands for "world standard." It is also used in Lexus vehicles.

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Avln, 2009 Taco
197 Posts
I just did an ATF flush on my '01 Avalon at 92K miles (yes, 91586 - not a typo). I used Valvoline MaxLife in both my Avalon, and my Tacoma, which calls for Toyota's WS fluid. Valvoline MaxLife is supposed to be compatable with both Dexron/Mercon II, III & IV, Toyota T, T-III, T-IV AND Toyota/Asin's WS. And it's <$20 per GALLON.

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
119 Posts
The Toyota TSB on BBB Industries website says Dexron II/III. My 2000 Avalon only has 92K miles on it, too. Unreal. I got a great deal from a friend I have known for 45 years. $900!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Rocket science right here:

Castrol and Valvoline have import ATF that has you covered. Pennzoil also has a multivehicle Platinum ATF.

I dont care to use the thinner LV ATFs in older transmissions.

·
Registered
2001 Avln, 2009 Taco
197 Posts
sorry for the thread drift, but here are the specifics of the 2 Avalons;
  • 2003 Toyota Avalon 4dr Sedan XL w/Bucket Seats and JBL Audio, 89087 miles, $8990 - in Sarasota, FL
  • 2003 Toyota Avalon Xls, 72667 miles, $8977 - in Daytona Beach, FL
But there is another 2003 Avalon with 216778 miles for $1100 - in Bridgeton, NJ

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
&#12452;&#12522;&#12472;&#12454;&#12512;
12,019 Posts
That’s why I was going with Supertech Mercon V, but started on Valvoline. It’s pretty good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Valvoline has Import Multi Vehicle ATF. I figure it is made for Japanese cars and it works well for me. I change ATF by drain and fill every 10k miles on all my cars

1 - 20 of 26 Posts