Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I need to know what is the correct steps to change the Automatic Tranmission fluid. Coz when it's cold how can u tell whether that is the correct amount u put in, since you have to wait for the engine to reach the correct temperture???...and by putting in too little at the time and start the engine would that damgage any parts in there???

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
when i did it. since mine holds 6qts. when i refill it. i put in 4. cause i drained my torque converter too.then i started the engine in neutral. add more and check the dip stick.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
torque converter = differential???
i own a Gen 3 camry v6, engine = 3VZ-FE engine
I think they are seperate differentia and A/T fluid
Correct me if i am wrong!

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I changed mine, I drained (via the plug), pulled the pan, cleaned, & installed a new autozone filter. Autozone will tell you how much fluid it takes if you ask. I don't think the torque convetor has drain plugs (mine is a 95). I drove mine a few times on several out of town trips and drained it again...I did that twice (only draining with plug). I think that should have effectively replaced most of the fluid. Lot cheaper then having the trans flushed. The differential sets between the two half axles, and yes it should be drained, probably every 50 K??? also with trans fluid, autozone will also tell you capacity.....

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
If you're looking to DIY, Kans_Geo's method of multiple drains and refills is pretty good.

If you don't mind spending a bit more money, have a shop hook it up to flushing machine. It's the same concept as bleeding your brake fluid but instead it's ATF but it ensures you get the dirty fluid out of the TC too. My local mechanic charged ~$80 (not including fluid). I supplied him with a case of synthetic ATF which ran me an additional $200.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts