Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STINKING CORRODED FRAMES AGAIN. My 2002 Tacoma looked good and purred but the frame rusted away. 2013 brand new Tacoma, a little hesitant but certainly Toyota wouldn’t let that happen again. Got a letter today. 2011-2017 FRAME CORROSION. Compounds applied or new frames. GIVE ME A NEW FRAME. I was thinking of a new Camry or Highlander for second vehicle. Hah.

·
TexasJiminSTX
2005 Tacoma 2WD
200 Posts
antjunky: Compounds on the outside of the frame may look like a fix, but corrosion is also going on inside the frame. Toyota has been replacing frames and buying Tacomas back for decades. If they wanted this problem to go away, they could hot dip galvanize the frames for about $100 a truck. From what I've read, Dana Corp. makes the frames. When they rust away, Toyota replaces them for 8-10K, backcharges Dana, and they keep their service departments working. I think it's their business plan. Gen 1, Gen 2 & Gen 3 Tacomas, 20+ years and running have this problem. If rusted frames had killed people, NHTSA would have made them solve the problem. My '05 5-lugger 4-banger has been inspected a couple of times, with "no significant perforations" found, and a mechanic on this forum told me that the 4-cylinder Tacos almost never have frames replaced. Heat from exhaust pipes near frames? TexasJim

·
Registered
2012 Tacoma Xtracab
11 Posts
I just now receive a letter from Toyota today about the frame issue(s) (not again), for the frame corrosion perforation on certain 2011 - 2017 model year Tacoma vehicles. What, again????...lol. Had an 1999 Toyota Tacoma that Toyota brought from me on the, "Buy Back Program!" Which was nice, cause I turn around and got myself an 2012 Tacoma. Now, it is saying that it can do one of two things or both at different times with called, "Limited Service Campaign!", to apply corrosion resistant compound, or replace the frame down the road. I do like what TexasJiminS TX had said about the compound just a quick fix.
The Customer Support Program is good for 12 years from the Date of First Use (DOFU), with no mileage limitation. So, has anyone else has this issue as well? Other than Antjunky?
Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks Charlie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts