Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STINKING CORRODED FRAMES AGAIN. My 2002 Tacoma looked good and purred but the frame rusted away. 2013 brand new Tacoma, a little hesitant but certainly Toyota wouldn’t let that happen again. Got a letter today. 2011-2017 FRAME CORROSION. Compounds applied or new frames. GIVE ME A NEW FRAME. I was thinking of a new Camry or Highlander for second vehicle. Hah.

·
TexasJiminSTX
200 Posts
antjunky: Compounds on the outside of the frame may look like a fix, but corrosion is also going on inside the frame. Toyota has been replacing frames and buying Tacomas back for decades. If they wanted this problem to go away, they could hot dip galvanize the frames for about $100 a truck. From what I've read, Dana Corp. makes the frames. When they rust away, Toyota replaces them for 8-10K, backcharges Dana, and they keep their service departments working. I think it's their business plan. Gen 1, Gen 2 & Gen 3 Tacomas, 20+ years and running have this problem. If rusted frames had killed people, NHTSA would have made them solve the problem. My '05 5-lugger 4-banger has been inspected a couple of times, with "no significant perforations" found, and a mechanic on this forum told me that the 4-cylinder Tacos almost never have frames replaced. Heat from exhaust pipes near frames? TexasJim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts