Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,876 Posts
Just the mention of the stealership, it's gonna cost an arm and a leg.

Better to consider aftermarket audio and security shop.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,876 Posts
If that's the case, start calling the dealership.

·
Registered
2018 Corolla
52 Posts
I’m interest......I have a corolla LE , 2018 and I’m interested in adding it too. I’d rather the dealership do it just in case any electrical issues pop up, that way it’s on them.

·
Registered
2014 Corolla
58 Posts
I was an installer of remote car starters/audio, etc for 10 years. The Magnusson-Moss warranty act prevents dealers from voiding warranties for work not done by the dealer. My shop had this argument with dealers for years and in the end, those SAME dealers came to us to install remote car starters for the vehicles they were selling. What the dealer is going to do is send your car TO an aftermarket shop to install the remote car starter anyway and charge you extra for doing it. You're better off going to the shop yourself. Remote car starters are usually not installed by dealers unless it's one of the options when you first purchase the car.

Installing remote car starters today is so much simpler than years past. Compustar makes kits that's literally plug and play for Toyotas. The only trouble you will run into is programming the unit as Compustar has a policy of only authorized dealers can install/program them mainly for warranty purposes. I installed a Compustar in my own car, though I had to be resourceful to find install docs as I don't have direct access anymore. I only stopped installing because the shop I worked at closed because the owner wanted to move to Florida.

The other brand is Fortin, they too make plug and play installation kits for Toyotas. Unlike Compustar; Fortin actually provide the instructions, wiring diagrams (including pictures). If you're good with electronics, it's easy to install. You do have to buy their programmer though which is not terrible cost wise.

As far as pricing, I don't know what it is nowadays as I haven't installed in many years. My shop used to charge $300 (that was the remote starter and installation included).

tldr: Installing a remote car starter or even an aftermarket radio does NOT void the warranty. Any dealer that says that is LYING and you should find another dealer.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
I just saw a sale ad from Car Toys, which is a local car audio store, for a Clifford remote start system for $149 which included installation. Pretty sweet deal. I'm sure that similar deals could be found in other areas if you don't live in the Pacific NW.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,876 Posts
Black Friday is coming up.

Surely there are deals everywhere now.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,876 Posts
I used to own an older Clifford remote starter back when DEI first purchased the company.

It was a great system. The shop allowed me to buy it off eBay and all they charged me was labor.

I have no need for this now, but was convenient in the sense that I could idle the car, but you couldn't drive away without the remote. Haha. Theft deterrent at its best.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just installed a remote start in my 2017 SE for $249.00. Took literally 25 minutes. T-harness plug and play. I didn’t even install the extended antenna and I get a solid 250’ range still. It’s a Compustart system.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just installed a remote start in my 2017 SE for $249.00. Took literally 25 minutes. T-harness plug and play. I didn’t even install the extended antenna and I get a solid 250’ range still. It’s a Compustart system.
I was able to get a compustar system for $219.99 with installation included. My local dealership's wanted $599.99.

Such a rip off trying to double the price.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used to own an older Clifford remote starter back when DEI first purchased the company.

It was a great system. The shop allowed me to buy it off eBay and all they charged me was labor.

I have no need for this now, but was convenient in the sense that I could idle the car, but you couldn't drive away without the remote. Haha. Theft deterrent at its best.
Never hear of clifford. I have heard of fortin and compustar. Going to check them out

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How’s compustar? Been seeing deals on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll know January 2nd when they install it since they are backed up with appointments like crazy lol. The cool thing I like is I can upgrade to a 2 way remote and have smartphone remote start capabilities for an additional $149.99. The LTE service is only $5.99 a month. Doesn't seem horrible but I'd rarely use it.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,876 Posts
Clifford is an old company. They were bought out by DEI. That's likely why you've never heard of viper and Clifford.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Clifford is an old company. They were bought out by DEI. That's likely why you've never heard of viper and Clifford.
I've heard of viper. Have it installed in my '99 Dodge Intrepid. Thing has a good distance for remote starting

1 - 20 of 20 Posts