Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Corolla
59 Posts
Compustar is one of the best remote starters period. Fortin is number two. The shop I worked in had Compustar the first time they started selling their units in the US. We had some off brand units before Compustar. After a year of installing Compustar, it was the only brand we went with because very few of the cars came back.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Compustar is one of the best remote starters period. Fortin is number two. The shop I worked in had Compustar the first time they started selling their units in the US. We had some off brand units before Compustar. After a year of installing Compustar, it was the only brand we went with because very few of the cars came back.
Comforting to know this. I get mine installed January 2nd. Can't wait!

·
Registered
2018 Corolla
56 Posts
Got mine installed last week at the dealership, it was $350 and wasn’t what I really wanted. I wanted to be able to use my factory FOB, instead there was a second FOB, I was told this had better range....the guy hands me my keys and walks away, I shout how the #$&#,! Does this work, press the button 3 times and he’s gone. Took me a few minutes to figure it out, bout I will say the distance with this thing is quite good....I park in a underground garage and the door to my building is about 200 feet or so to the door of the garage. I hit the button while in the lobby of my off and whenI get there, the car is always running. I’m still waiting to discuss poor communication with the service manager .

·
Registered
2020 Corolla Hybrid/2013 Highlander Limited
68 Posts
I've been considering a kit from these guys since they don't require any cutting or splicing and can use the factory remote or you can buy a long range remote set. That means I would feel comfortable doing it myself

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've been considering a kit from these guys since they don't require any cutting or splicing and can use the factory remote or you can buy a long range remote set. That means I would feel comfortable doing it myself

No. Just get a compustar kit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
No thanks, I prefer not to have to splice into the system or have Battery drain issues which a lot of the CompuStar kits do if you have to park your car for any length of time which I do frequently when I travel for work from the airport.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No thanks, I prefer not to have to splice into the system or have Battery drain issues which a lot of the CompuStar kits do if you have to park your car for any length of time which I do frequently when I travel for work from the airport.
Yet the 12 volt system you posted requires you to splice into the TPMS...

It is required to remove the negative battery terminal from the battery if you don't plan on using the car past 4 days. Says so in the manual due to the parasitic drain from the alarm system

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You do know they just resell the compustar system at a mark up without the compustar logo, right?

·
Registered
68 Posts
You do know they just resell the compustar system at a mark up without the compustar logo, right?
based on the kit and pictures that isn’t the case. The compustar kit is more universal and not the same. Also compustar doesn’t have a kit for the 2020 Corolla.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
based on the kit and pictures that isn’t the case. The compustar kit is more universal and not the same.
That's a false statement.

Are you trying to advertise your products that aren't selling so you are plugging them in this thread?

$260 with free installation and lifetime warranty that includes free firmware updates for lifetime of the unit.
Warranty transfers to a new owner.
Comes with a 800' one way remote that can lock (single press) unlock (double press) your car.
Doesn't void warranty.
Allows you to use the OEM remote (hit lock 3 times to activate the remote start).
Doesn't require splicing into the TPMS unlike the 12 volt system which I believe it's the older blade model that is outdated.

But at the end of the day it's your money. You either save money and get the 800' remote or spend more for less and are required to splice into the TPMS for full functionality, without a 800' one way remote.

It's a no brainer to go with best buy

·
Registered
68 Posts
It’s not a false statement. Compustar makes kits that fit a wide variety of cars and their kits are meant to be universal. It says so right on the link you posted:

"Compatible with most vehicles with automatic transmission
Allows you to start your engine with the push of a button."

I don't work for either company (I'm an engineer for ENGIE)

I’ve met the people that work at Best Buy, no way in hell I’ll let them near my new car and there is no guarantee that the modifications they make won't void the warranty.

I much prefer to do it myself with a kit that is designed for that. I already have a compustar kit on another car that I’m not impressed with and like I said, it has serious battery drain issues.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It’s not a false statement. Compustar makes kits that fit a wide variety of cars and their kits are meant to be universal. It says so right on the link you posted:

"Compatible with most vehicles with automatic transmission
Allows you to start your engine with the push of a button."

I don't work for either company (I'm an engineer for ENGIE)

I’ve met the people that work at Best Buy, no way in hell I’ll let them near my new car and there is no guarantee that the modifications they make won't void the warranty.

I much prefer to do it myself with a kit that is designed for that. I already have a compustar kit on another car that I’m not impressed with and like I said, it has serious battery drain issues.
So you'd spend more for a non-branded compustar kit???

Firstech makes them. Home Page

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
68 Posts
So you'd spend more for a non-branded compustar kit???

Firstech makes them. Home Page
I have no idea where you're getting the idea that they are the same system, there is nothing on either site that claims that they are and I have spoken with their tech support. If you don't have the cell phone or extra remote module active there is no battery drain. The compustar system is not the same in that regard.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have no idea where you're getting the idea that they are the same system, there is nothing on either site that claims that they are and I have spoken with their tech support. If you don't have the cell phone or extra remote module active there is no battery drain. The compustar system is not the same in that regard.
Yes it is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
No it’s not, if it was that would be on their website and they would have told me that when I pointedly asked. As I said I was unhappy with my last compustar unit and will not buy another.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
No it’s not, if it was that would be on their website and they would have told me that when I pointedly asked. As I said I was unhappy with my last compustar unit and will not buy another.
So they are going to tell you they bought the product at wholesale and from where?

Are you serious!?!

?????

The IQ lacks in you sir! Engineer or not

·
Registered
68 Posts
So they are going to tell you they bought the product at wholesale and from where?

Are you serious!?!

?????

The IQ lacks in you sir! Engineer or not
You have no evidence and have simply asserted that it is. The 12volt solutions kits are model specific and the compustar kit you posted is not. I also was told by compustar that their kit cannot be configured to prevent battery drain.

Quite frankly you simply can’t back up what you are saying is true.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
You have no evidence and have simply asserted that it is. The 12volt solutions kits are model specific and the compustar kit you posted is not. I also was told by compustar that their kit cannot be configured to prevent battery drain.

Quite frankly you simply can’t back up what you are saying is true.
The remote is a dead giveaway....

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Corolla
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Buy it then a take a picture so I can laugh and say I told you so

21 - 40 of 44 Posts