Toyota Nation Forum banner

Costco Gas SUCKS

11K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  TrailDust 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 Toyota Avalon XLS with 85k miles and on average I only get 26 mpg when burning Costco (Kirkland) brand gasoline. I am usually around 28-30 mpg on other gas. I highly doubt the Costco gas was old because they have so many customers. I drove it the same way and same places I always do. I just really question the quality after my Avalon had two different readings of MPG with two different gasoline's ran through it within this month. Thoughts?

#6 ·
How right you are, you don’t seem to know about that.
How many times have I heard stories about better gas mileage with certain brand engine oil or better mileage with this additive or that, et al.
Does it really work? Who knows but I believe it works!

#7 ·
I get the same economy out of Costco gas, as any other pump gas I have used in the valley, but for about $.15 less per gallon, sometimes more, some times a little less. That said, all of our vehicles get poorer economy starting in about October, due to the change to "winter blend" gasoline, which is mandated to abate air pollution during the winter.

#8 ·
One thing about Costco gas (which I use occasionally) is that the Top Tier additive package they use is not exactly the same at every location. They use a generic Top Tier additive package sold by whatever local refinery they get the gas from. But just because the additive package is not the same, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with Costco gas.

#9 ·
There was a recent thread explaining why gas mileage in the winter is almost always worse than in other seasons. That includes the fact that the EPA and/or state regulations require special gas in urban areas during the winter to cut down on pollution, and the winter gas has less energy than the formula used in other seasons.

There were a bunch of other explanations also, including the fact that tire pressure may be lower in the winter, which can have a big impact of gas mileage.

#10 ·
My MPG has generally went down as winter approaches but you could also blame how I drive.

#11 ·
Thoughts?
He says she says... Besides difference in gasoline, are every other elements in consistency (i.e. Ambien temp, tire pressure, wind direction, etc.) between your test of both tanks of gas. Don't hate me for saying, but, unless it's lab environmentally controlled testing, it is too hard to make any claim of a station's gasoline of the same grade being good or bad (except for lack of proper maintenance by the station clerk to keep moisture & settlments build-up to a minimum in their under ground tanks).

#27 ·
Just don't post people and let the seller get bored and go away. I can get a measured and witnessed, even videoed 130 MPG in my Mirage, by driving for maximum efficiency. This brown's gas snake oil sales pitch is baloney and Virginia passed a law a decade ago that made those selling the junk get it EPA approved. The blather about it making emissions components unnecessary is illegal and can cost them thousands in fines. The emission free engine will employ HCCI. Do some real research and see how it works, or just go away. You wont find any suckers here.
I can drive my car under controlled conditions and quadruple EPA highway ratings at over 130 MPG, without any emission violations, all perfectly legal, easily demonstrable and repeatable. Selling your "converter" was made illegal a long time ago by requiring the seller to get it EPA certified. I guess your next remark will be something along the line of "it's all a conspiracy by the big oil and govt interests". I guess our govt also controls the Chinese as well as any other nation on the planet that would BENEFIT for greater vehicular efficiency. Anyone who thinks that is even remotely possible is delusional and cheapens the efforts of real researchers and innovators.

#28 ·
This brown's gas snake oil sales pitch is baloney and Virginia passed a law a decade ago that made those selling the junk get it EPA approved. The blather about it making emissions components unnecessary is illegal and can cost them thousands in fines. The emission free engine will employ HCCI. Do some real research and see how it works, or just go away.......
I did not say to remove emissions components. That would be more expense than it would be worth even if it were possible.
I suspect you would find it difficult to make any miles per gallon with hydrogen around the majority of the world as the stations I see marked online are clustered in a small area of the west coast of the U.S. and I doubt they would be at Costco. Maybe I'm wrong... https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/stations.html

I guess your next remark will be something along the line of "it's all a conspiracy by the big oil and govt interests".
I also did not say anything about conspiracy. I cannot imagine the good honest politicians that are voted in doing anything nefarious or accepting money from good honest corporations except to do good and holy works for us "basket of deplorables" ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.