Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been having some rough starts, and they started around the time i put in a cai. i ran the idea by my dad and he said it could be because since the new intake allows a lot more air, the a/f mixture could be lean, causing it to come close to stalling when trying to start. i thought this was a valid idea and wanted to ask you guys. or should i be worried about something else going bad?

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Nope, the intake won't effect your start. The engine will only suck in as much air as it needs. So it should still run at the same.

Can you describe the start?

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Yep, I'm with Smoky on that. More likely would be some error in the installation, such as a vacuum line leaking, or loose fitting somewhere or the like.

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uh oh.... sometimes i sit and play with the gas pedal if the car is off just kinda pretending im flooring it or sumtin. does the key have to be in the ignition for fuel to enter the cylinder? or am i doing my engine damage when i play with teh gas pedal?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
you have to have the key on for the fuel pump to work it isnt like you dads old ford(just a saying)you dont pump the fuel you just add more fuel at start. if the key is off i dont think anything will happen,maybe someone can corect me on that?i have never cheaked.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Unless you are carbureted, pumping with the engine not running does exactly nothing. The injectors don't do diddly unless the engine is turning over.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
sweet:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts