Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could it be the cheap oil change from walmart that's causing my MPG to go down somewhat?? I've heard that it's better to have Toyota do it cuz they use better quality parts? Where else would be cheaper places to get oil changes... if that's the actual problem?

What do you think?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have read a few stories from various places saying that places like Wal-Mart are not the place to get a good oil change. Stick to Toyota or Quick Lube type places that meets manufacture warranty.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry hit submit reply to quick. I find that my gas mileage (which I track given my job) various based on time of year. Summer with the Air on I find myself only getting 450km to 40 litres were as spring/fall I get 500 to 525 to 40 litres and winter I drop down to 400km to 40 litres given the warm up time of the car. I do 90% highway which also helps with the mileage being good.

If you seriously think you are seeing a significant drop in mileage take it to Toyota and have them hook the scope to it. I had a broken air/gas mix sensor that slowly degraded my mileage until the finally the engine light came on which obviously prompted me to go in. The new part made the car feel brand new in terms of being very peppy and the mileage was improved immediately.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Cheapest and best way so you know you don't get screwed is to change it yourself. You will be satisfied once your done :chug:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean, I agree that it's best to use Toyota to change the oil filters and what not since they use "quality" filter supposedly compared to like walmart or something but i'm not even sure if it's the oil change, though I did mine for cheap from walmart...

I was thinking other things too, maybe tire pressure and possibly the air filter (which by the way, was looking white and not much crap on it)...

WHat do you guys think?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Agreed doing it yourself is best but I hate getting oil on my hands. Unless I am oiling up the little lady but I digress.

Tire pressure shouldn't drop mileage that much. Air filter - I switched to the K&N filter. But that improved performance more then it improved mileage.

What year is your car?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
see it's weird... like usually before I got the oil change (I guess... I didn't really pay attention till now) when the fuel gauge read 3/4 tank, I drove about 100 miles... which is about 30 mpg

but now, I only travel 70 miles when the gauge rreads 3/4 tank... I dunno why

·
Registered
105 Posts
Take it back to the dealer it's clearly under warranty. I can't image why if it's new. Do you have any actual states on how much it dropped? I am assuming it was significant for you to be posting.

·
Registered
105 Posts
statistics sorry using short form.

Ahhh your using the fuel guage. Don't bother. Mine never goes above 3/4 in fact depending on who I buy gas from it varies.

The best way to find out how you are doing is to mark down the mileage everytime you fill up and compare the mileage to the amount of gas put in the car. Then you will get a accurate reading.

I find that when my light comes on I still have 10 litres of gas left in the tank sorry don't know how many gallons that is suspect it's about 1 gallon or so.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Haha, in Canada is states short for statistics? In the US we use the terms stats. Anyways, the fuel gauge is only accurate on flat ground, and even then, sometimes it's hard to tell what is correct and what is not. I found the best way to calculate miles/gallon is to fill up the tank completely, reset the trip odometer, then next time fill up all the way, use the amount of gallons that you filled up and divide the miles driven by the amount of gallons.
If you don't want to pay Toyota to change it, find a coupon or a good price on an oil change at a Jiffy Lube, Valvoline Oil, or other 10-minute oil change place.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
It costs me the same amount to go to the Toyota dealer that it would to go to a 10min oil place like Mr Lube or Pennzoil.. so screw them.. last time I got my oil done at Mr Lube they gave me a shitty filter (probably the wrong one) and oil kept gushing out.. they swore it wasn't their POS Kralinator filter causing the leak and that I had something else wrong with my car. I finally went to my mechanic to get the supposed "leak" fixed.. all he did was slap another filter on and the leak stopped. :disappoin they made me go thru a week of grief from a bad filter so I said fuk'em, never going back there again. So I went to the dealer and found out they were priced the same... :eek: all the new dealers in Ontario have their "Express Service" bay.. kinda like a drive thru. I even feasted on coffee and muffins in their waiting area. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 5W-30 called for in my '03 is said to be "Gas Saving." I assume that is due to the 5W being more "thin and light" compared to other grades.

For a while there, alot of the Jiffy Lube places included only straight 30W oil, especially if it was on a $9.99 coupon deal. If you preferred 10W-30 or something, they were happy to charge you a few bucks extra.

Does anybody know if the quick lube places are offering the 5W-30 weight as part of their "standard" service? It seems like more and more cars are going to that weight these days...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Once your car is warmed up to operating temperature the differece between 5w and 10w is nill. They both only thin down to a 30 weight oil.

Around here because of the high temperatures everybody pretty much recommends 10w-30. the extra thickness helps.

I had a 2000 mustang gt and when i took it in to the dealer to have an oil change once, he screamed at me for having 5w-30 in it even though thats what ford recommends in the manual. needless to say he told me from now on to use ONLY 10w-30 here.

·
Banned
34 Posts
djmixmode said:
Once your car is warmed up to operating temperature the differece between 5w and 10w is nill. They both only thin down to a 30 weight oil...
DJ - They don't thin down, they start thin when cold and thicken as the oil warms. 5W means a '5' viscosity rating for 'W'inter. I think you knew that anyway, I think you just mis-typed.

Blaming oil for fuel consumption is kinda silly. It wont matter that much IRL.
I agree!

Check your filter and tire pressure.
I say 'check your math.' And change your own oil. If a person is a bit carefull, they only place oil may get spilt is when loosening the filter, and forgetting to re-plug the pan and move the drain pan under the filter. After the filter quits dripping, take it off and drain it in the pan. Wipe the excess oil off the filter mount, oil the next filter gasket and install. Dump a gallon of oil back in and you're done. Just changed mine Saturday, got the tips of my fingers oily, but I just licked it off :naughty: (only sissies are scared to get their hands dirty :lol: ). I don't care if you guys agree or not, I would hazard a bet that the dealers use the absolute cheapest rock-bottom quality parts they can get away with. Valvoline 5W-30, and a Fram suregrip quality I bet is far superior.

My guess is that your fuel economy is off for one, all or a mix of the following three reasons: 1) Its in your head, 2) Your driving habits have become more aggressive lately, or 3) the fuel you have bought lately has had some kind of additive that reduces fuel efficiency.

That's my $0.02 worth, let me know if you need change back. ;)

- JyRO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts