Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.. been a long time lurker of the forum, ever since I happened on my '92 Paseo, lots of GREAT info in here and I thank you guys for all the headaches you've spared me from thus far..

Love my little car, EASY to work on, great mileage, good performange, just got a couple things that bug me and hopefully someone here has run into them and can point me toward a solution

The Headlights:

Looks like the stock headlights are some sort of clear plastic type material. Down here in Florida, the heat, sun, and years of running on the highways has given them a bit of a faded sheen. I've tried using a kit I bought at a parts house to try to "polish" the haze from them, but it wasn't very effective.. are there any tricks anyone knows? Or should I go with my current plan, which is to scour the junkyards for a set that aren't as hazed as mine?

The Wiper Switch:

Got a couple issues with this one, first, the washer does not function at all, might have something to do with the fact that the button on the end is permenantly mashed in, not sure if its a bad spring in the button or what.. suffice to say, its not functional.

But thats not NEARLY as annoying as the entire wiper switch assembly itself, not sure what happened or how, but you even LOOK at the wiper lever hard, and it will slip down and engage the wipers, the lever is as loose as a goose.. imagine the fun of driving down a somewhat bumpy road and switching your wipers off every couple seconds...

any tips on these issies?

and Finally.. Gauges!!!:

I love the car, I love the way the dash is laid out, but bone stock, my little girl only has fuel, temp, tach, and speedo.. I'm one of these fellows who likes to see everything thats going on.. I want to add at LEAST an oil pressure gauge and a voltage guage.. but while I love the dash and all its curves, it plays hell with places to mount gauges.. where, in your learned opinions, would you mount aftermarket gauges without completely marring up the dash or removing something (I looked at the clock space as a possible location, but I like the little clock, lets me know I'm running late for work and I better downshift and punch the gas a bit)..

thanks for any help or insight you may provide..

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
The Headlights:
Go to your friendly junkyard and pick up a clean one....

The Wiper Switch:
Hmm I'd say try to find a replacement. Not sure how you would replace it though...

Gauges:
HAHAHAHA Hey man I feel you I dont even have a tach yet...
What about on you pillar? or fab up something under your headunit...

·
Turn that shit up!
262 Posts
In my Tercel, I stuck a voltage gauge under the handbrake, there's a big spot waiting to have something put into it, so I cut a hole and put the gauge there. Voltage isn't something you really need to keep your eye on, so it works well there.

Other than that, I've seen people pull out an air vent or two, and mount a gauge in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Status Update

Well, I managed to luck up the last time I hit the salvage yard. Got a set of decent headlights from a '93 donor car in the yards.. one of them's in great shape, the other is better than what I have, and cleanable (more on that in a moment)

Also lucked up and got hold of an A-Pilar from the same donor car. didn't have time to go after the wiper switch, but if its there next time I go, its coming home with me :D

leads to a new question.. has anyone ever done the fabrication required to take a universal a-pilar gauge pod and mate it up to the A-pilar? any tips or tricks for someone who's done a bare minimum fabrication?

also, back to the headlights, found a polish that seems to work wonders with the roadgrime and years of abuse the plastic lenses seem to get heaped on them. So my little 'seo's lights are back to bright again :D

thinking about restoring the old lights from my car and seeing if anyone's interested in 'em..

·
Registered
Toyota Tercel
122 Posts
there is a post over at tercelonline.com of someone who put gauge pods in their a-pilar, but unfortunately the site is down right now, it's a pretty nice DIY from what I remember. I'm not sure if he is on Toyotanation though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts