Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2004 Scion xA
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a few questions that need answering:

First off, a few bits of info on the camry...
it is a 1994 2dr V6 with a164,000 miles on it, driven like a baby and taken care of like mad by my aunt. Recently a seal on the transmission was put on along with ALL fluids in the car being changed... I've heard that camrys have some balls.. but for some reason mine doesnt...

1. Is having NO bottom end torque normal? Like to the point where spinning tires seems like a rediculous theory....

2. I noticed a few vaccuum lines where disconnected... how much of a performance loss would this create?

3. My car sort of studders when under heavy acceloration (or as heavy as my car will get) is this normal? Its just a slight sudden vibration for not even a second, like, backfiring...

4. I installed a performance filter (just attached it right after the stock AFM) Could this create a problem? My car wouldnt start till i pushed the gas earlier today...

5. Where is a site with service bulletins for 3rd gen Camry's?

6. If i install a cold air intake, what do i do with my AFM? the car wont run with out it right? or at least will run super rich...

7. Does the PWR/ECT button actually do anything? cause I cant tell the difference between normal and 'Power'

·
Sold out for a Max
1,266 Posts
Most if not all of your questions can be answered by clicking search. As a matter of fact, if you search with my name, I have a thread about a similar problem with my camry. There are endless threads about the ect/pwr button also.

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
1. Is having NO bottom end torque normal? Like to the point where spinning tires seems like a rediculous theory....

v6 auto, yeah, on dry pavement you can't spin the tires unless you do a bit of a brake stand, a swap to a 5spd would solve this www.tt-cc.com/ratko/swap

2. I noticed a few vaccuum lines where disconnected... how much of a performance loss would this create?

they should be connected... if you take pictures we could direct you to where they go

3. My car sort of studders when under heavy acceloration (or as heavy as my car will get) is this normal? Its just a slight sudden vibration for not even a second, like, backfiring...

fuel or ignition problem

4. I installed a performance filter (just attached it right after the stock AFM) Could this create a problem? My car wouldnt start till i pushed the gas earlier today...

did you disconnect any of the vacuum hoses? or mess with the air flow sensor?

5. Where is a site with service bulletins for 3rd gen Camry's?

i don't know this one...

6. If i install a cold air intake, what do i do with my AFM? the car wont run with out it right? or at least will run super rich...

you can get an adapter from ebay or pretty much anywhere, it'll bolt onto the sensor, then you can put some piping or the filter

7. Does the PWR/ECT button actually do anything? cause I cant tell the difference between normal and 'Power'

yes it does, but you gotta floor it quickly, it'll make the tranny shift a bit later, that's all, you can search for this one, its been done to death

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
My V6 gets up and goes pretty well. I would like a turbo or supercharger but...reality sucks.

Disconnected vacuum lines is very bad thing...combined with what sounds like a short air intake, that would dump your performance. If your puters detect anomalies, it goes into a protected state, it cuts power until it thinks problems are fixed.

Suddering could be anything,but looks like problem above. Worse case would be transmission. power/ECT button is for transmission shift points, more aggresive in Power mode.

The rest is like Majesticking said, search and read. Huge amounts of advice on T Nation, best to read all you can.

EDIT:

Hah, saw you replied too Old Man Nick..

Yup, everything he said ^..:lol:

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2004 Scion xA
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, i had to write before i went out for the night so i didnt really have time to search, thank you for your patience...

Tonight i did some driving and it seems to be doing fine now that all the vaccuum lines are good... all i need now is to get some piping for CAI, i allready have a friend making me an exhaust system for me :)

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
I dont understand. Are people really having a hard time spinning their wheels with their gen 3 V6?!

When I had my rims I could spin them any time I wanted. (I had good tires with good tread 2). And When Im one the high way I could spin them a little when I shifted into 3rd!

Now with my stock wheels and tires, I can spin them in the begging. Its not too hard (withOD/andECT off). I cant even imagine how someone in a V6 would have a hard time.

Edit: And the only mod I have is my CD player. lol. OH and Strut bar.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
Gridlyne said:
I dont understand. Are people really having a hard time spinning their wheels with their gen 3 V6?!

When I had my rims I could spin them any time I wanted. (I had good tires with good tread 2). And When Im one the high way I could spin them a little when I shifted into 3rd!

Now with my stock wheels and tires, I can spin them in the begging. Its not too hard (withOD/andECT off). I cant even imagine how someone in a V6 would have a hard time.

Edit: And the only mod I have is my CD player. lol. OH and Strut bar.
I would love to see a Auto V6 Camry spin going into third. The only way that would happen is with $hitty tires in the pouring rain.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
how do you correcly spins tires. i think i'm not doing it the right way. i dont have a v6 tho but the only time i can get it to work is in the rain.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2004 Scion xA
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talisman18 said:
I would love to see a Auto V6 Camry spin going into third. The only way that would happen is with $hitty tires in the pouring rain.
lmao... with a t66 turbo... :p j/k

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
bowlofturtle said:
how do you correcly spins tires. i think i'm not doing it the right way. i dont have a v6 tho but the only time i can get it to work is in the rain.
That's because you don't have enough power. The 3sfe/5sfe engines setups in a Camry are little b!tch-made setups. Especially when combined with an automatic. :thumbdown

·
Traitor
332 Posts
id hate to say it and you can all beat me up but my dads accord can spin the tires..... :disappoin sorry...im disappointed in myself for saying it

edit: when i got new front tires they spun...once that was it

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Hahaha! Suckers! Stock V6 w/Auto

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
^He said he had nothing. Its easy to spin tires on V6. I dunno what you guys are talking about when you say that you cant. I dunno.

And yes, when I shift into third, I will hear a .5 second chirp if Im flooring it.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
i spin the tires in my wagon but i think mine is pretty stock as well.*looks around to make sure no one is looking and does some more tweaking*

mines not stock but i haven't put loads of money into it either. i'll see what i get at the wheels when i get to nopi.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
i smoke my tires all the time in my v6 ... raning i can get it to almost shift in the 3rd (86 mph) spinning the tires. oh and all this with putting any thing special on the tires or any noticeable mods to the engine. and for your engine i say seafoam it espicaly since it was babied you need to clean out that carbon that was built up ... you can also floor the car the rid your self of some as well. also check to see if the fuel filter has been changed and spark plugs. also a can or so of tb cleaning helps as well.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
BOO now i'm mad !

stuipd 5sfe engines wont spin tires eh. my friend's 90 corolla(auto) and 96 civic(5speed, D16) can both do it why can't my fat camry do it. with 140 torque and everything. please tell me an answer besides the weight of the car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts