Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this site, but not to cars! :) My 97 Tercel Redhawk is my daily driver, with 135K and only PM work has been needed to date. I have a couple questions that the list might be able to help me with.

#1 I think I have seen data to support the fact that the engine is a non-interference motor, is this correct?

#2 I would like to run an oversized oil filter, (currently using the hp-1003 from K&N) and am looking for something that will hold more oil, but mostly provide more filter area. I have used synthetic oil for the last 110K when I became the owner.

Anyone with personal experience in changing the timing belt? I have seen only one repair process on alldata.com I think, and it looked like a total PIA! Does it require special tools? I think they where talking about removing the lower pulley and some other crazy things. I am not scared to do the work, just wanted a good idea of what I am getting into! :)

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Eric

·
Turbo Bitch!!!
300 Posts
1. Correct.

2. Use the filter from the toyota filter from a 1985 MR2, I think toyota part number YAZZA1 (last digits).

3. Timing belt isn't hard.. remove the timing belt cover, loosen the tensioner, loosen the altenator, yes, you must remove the crank pulley.. Best if you have an air compressor. Ease off the old belt, ease on the new one and you are good to go. Make sure you don't forget to make sure the cam gear has the 5E at 12'oclock

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks VERY MUCH for the imput! I will see about locating the oil filter. Thanks to the members that posted replies!

Take Care!
Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts