Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Hilux 4wd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been building an 88 hilux and ive rebuilt my entire long block and added a 5 in suspension lift. When driving down the road i have two vibrations one at 25 mph only on accelleration and one at interstate speeds only in 5th gear. The 25 mph vibration has partially gone away since ive added new engine mount insulators and im pretty sure its just an rpm vibration. My question is with the 5th gear vibration, it is more of a thumping vibration when i shift into 5th gear and am accellerating. Is it possible there is a worn bushing or bearing in the trans? i guess the best way to describe it is if i was driving down the road with my hubs unlocked and the transf case in 4wh. (and yes i do have it in 2wh) ive done everything imaginable to this truck other than rebuilding the trans which has 780k mi on it and still shifts perfect. Pinion angles match, new ujoints, new clutch, all new engine and trans mounts, no play in tailshaft or pinion, and the drive shaft has no carrier and does slide propperly... if anyone has any ideas please let me know, i dont want to r & r my trans if i dont have to, thanks...

Jason

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
5" is a lot of lift. I know you said you fixed the pinion angles, but how? what do they look like?
Remove the rear driveshaft and drive around a bit in 4HI and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
88 Hilux 4wd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When i put the lift on it came with angle wedges on the leaf pack and i tried switching it 3 times with the wedge facing both ways and also without the wedge. regardless of the angle it still had the same problem, so i set the angle with a wedge that matched the angle at the tailshaft, but in the sense that its opposite the tailshaft so it does not lope. the angles are like this _
\_

1 - 5 of 5 Posts