Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, being raised around muscle cars mostly,I came across an idea that I figure I would run by some people who know these cars better than I do. Cowl induction? I was contemplating fabbing a small cowl scoop over my carb and maybe swiss-cheesing the filter cover. Any comments/remarks would be much appreciated:D

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
Just find a hood from a JDM Trueno GTZ... you're a little late as someone was selling a hood with the scoop and the JDM Trueno front bumper to go along, sold as far as I know.

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
Comments:

- you'll run a little leaner. I don't know how much or what effect it will have.

- I suspect your intake temps will go up

- It'll look cool but people will think you have a fast car when you really don't.

- Paint trays make great ghetto hood scoops. So far nobody has taken my advice on this but maybe you'll be the first?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I could bolt one down. Simple method lol, but I want something simple, not to look cool or anything. Maybe just keep it reeeeal low. Though I think for proper cowl induction ( unlike that trueno hood there) it needs to be fairly tall. I'll do a bit more research, but I like the paint tray idea. Good thinking.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
I have seen hood scoops for the Toyota Starlet Turbo, on E-Bay. I know several people have put them on Paseos and Tercels. They are a bit smaller than the Trueno scoop, but seem to be more available.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I wouldnt bother... Just encase the carb and stick a turbocharger there.... same effort really....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was lead to believe it was impossible to turbo a carb'd engine. With all the downpipes and the turbo itself and the work, it'd be more costly by far. Paint tray: 2$ / turbo w/ manifold etc: 2k& up...or am I wrong?

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
You're right about the cost. Turboing a carb is tougher than with EFI. It could probably be done on the cheap for about $1,000 but I don't think it's worth it. The paint tray on the other hand is pure gold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never mind. You can...And it's actually very easy compared to fuel injection. I still don't think I'm going to do it. Maybe someday down the road eh?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the tray though, there's still the issue of possibly running "thin" as you said. How would I correct that? Or would it just not really effect me? If and probably when I do this I'll post some pictures.

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
Damn, I just lost a nice detailed response I wrote up... so instead of retyping it, you get the Cliff notes:

You'll run a little leaner because of the reduced restriction on the intake (assuming you put a filter directly over the carb). I don't know how much leaner. I doubt it will be much but if you start to backfire, just adjust the carb to run a little richer.

I'm mostly curious to see if the IATs go up or down. I suspect they'll go slightly up since you'll be getting more heat from the engine bay.

Once I start painting my car, I'm planning on doing this myself. I figure all you need is a paint tray, a sawzall, some rivets, and a bad attitude. :thumbsup:

·
Slacker Extrordinaire.
1992 Corolla DLX 4D
173 Posts
Damn, I just lost a nice detailed response I wrote up... so instead of retyping it, you get the Cliff notes:

You'll run a little leaner because of the reduced restriction on the intake (assuming you put a filter directly over the carb). I don't know how much leaner. I doubt it will be much but if you start to backfire, just adjust the carb to run a little richer.

I'm mostly curious to see if the IATs go up or down. I suspect they'll go slightly up since you'll be getting more heat from the engine bay.

Once I start painting my car, I'm planning on doing this myself. I figure all you need is a paint tray, a sawzall, some rivets, and a bad attitude. :thumbsup:
I'll give you $5 if you do this and go up to some STI guys talking shit about their scoops lololol

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
I'll give you $5 if you do this and go up to some STI guys talking shit about their scoops lololol
I'll let you know when you owe me $5. I'll make it worthwhile... I'll roll up in my raised Corolla with off-road tires, homemade rally lights, paint tray scoop, and the roof-mounted PA blasting 'La Cucharacha'...

I'm one good launch away from a high 17 second quarter mile. I can already hear STI owners shaking in their boots. Real men only need two wheels for traction.

·
Slacker Extrordinaire.
1992 Corolla DLX 4D
173 Posts
I'll let you know when you owe me $5. I'll make it worthwhile... I'll roll up in my raised Corolla with off-road tires, homemade rally lights, paint tray scoop, and the roof-mounted PA blasting 'La Cucharacha'...

I'm one good launch away from a high 17 second quarter mile. I can already hear STI owners shaking in their boots. Real men only need two wheels for traction.
Sounds like a plan lol make sure you have it on video though...id need proof..

Oh and make sure you title the thread correctly in case i want to search it lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Amen

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok a few questions first. Where do you get a hood like that and do they make any Fiberglass or CF ones? and second wvat rims are those on tve first pic with the red lip and third what lip is that on the GTS with the lights flipped up?

·
Rawr!
1988 Corolla Sedan
82 Posts
Ok a few questions first. Where do you get a hood like that and do they make any Fiberglass or CF ones? and second wvat rims are those on tve first pic with the red lip and third what lip is that on the GTS with the lights flipped up?
I know I am a little late on this thread, but why all the fuss over fiberglass hood scoops?

If you want to do this yourself, make one out of aluminum sheet metal!

$15 or less in metal + a cheap bending brake ($40 or so at Harbor Freight I think it's called in the states - an analog of Princess Auto in Canada.) and a pop riveting tool + rivets will yield you a custom looking hood scoop that's functional (though you might want to body fill or something the cracks to avoid turbulence from air around them) and totally doable.

Cut a hole in the hood for it, make a nice cardboard cutout pattern and trace on the metal. Be sure to leave tabs to fold the metal into shape and rivet it together as you like. You can make it totally functional and it will look cool. You can further fill it up to shape it a bit and paint it along with the hood if you'd like (I prefer bare sheet metal myself, however)

You could even go as far as to create a hinged butterfly flap in the intake hole that is driven by a servo and relay sensor from your throttle cable (think throttle position sensor from a nitrous kit - wire it up so instead it triggers your flap to open at WOT)...or if you can think of a way to bridge the cable so it's totally mechanical, that would work too I'm sure.

Sheet metal is real easy fun stuff to work with. It's cheap, and Aluminum doesn't rust. You could polish it to a beautiful shine if you choose not to paint it, and you don't need a welding machine to put it together in cases like this.

Good luck, and post some pics if you make your own scoop!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dude no where did I say I want a hood scoop. I simple said where can I get a hood like the Supercharged AE92 in fiberglass or CF. And any info on that lip?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well originally this thread was about a cowl scoop to begin with, but that's besides the point. As far as materials go, I'm in luck. I build greenhouses with my father so I have an abundance of aluminum and instead of rivets I'm going to use these awesome tek-screws that not only look cool, but are already in my tool-box and are self-tapping. I like that whole flap opening system thingy that aHarmony was talking about, but I'm just not that good. On the other hand, I did find these miniature air cleaners made by spectre: http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.4780 Would this be a good setup? I still just don't know what I would have to do with all the lines going to the bottom of the air filter housing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts