Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Pickup SR5 V6 4x4
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ive finally tracked one down to join you guys!

id like to introduce my new (to me) '92 4x4. its in relatively good shape for its age (197k+ miles) and has been maintained well by its previous owners.

i made this thread so i have somewhere to keep track of my progress with this thing! my main focus is on my 1992 Honda Accord EX, but ive needed another vehicle and i knew exactly what i wanted, and here it is. i dont have any extreme plans for it, besides constantly clean it up (im pretty particular with that) and most importantly make sure it continues running perfectly. im looking forward to how useful it will be between this winter, as well as its utility in the future :thumbsup:

Suspension
- American Racing black 15" steel wheels
- BFGoodrich 31" x 10.5" All-Terrain tires

Engine
- K&N drop-in air filter
- New "marine" wing-nut battery terminals

Interior
- Sony xplod CD/MP3 player
- Rockford Fosgate speakers
- Broadway convex rearview mirror (270mm)
- Adjustable bucket seats
- Armrest center console, with dual storage compartments
- OEM map lights
- Working AC
- Mini button mounted on dashboard to light up the clock at any time

Exterior
- OEM Bedliner
- OEM chrome trim package
- Running boards
- Ventshades window visors
- Front Bug deflector
- '95 Tacoma rear bumper
- Tuffbox in-bed plastic toolbox

Recent Work
- Detailed interior (it was filthy)
- Removed Boston and other stickers (from previous owner)

Future/Pending Work
- Marlin Crawler Heavy Duty clutch kit (in my possession)
- New OEM clutch master and slave cylinders (in my possession)
- New solid urethane shifter bushing (in my possession)
- New Oil pan gasket (and anything else I find leaking, i have a whole gasket kit)
- Full-power window and door lock conversion (in my possession)
- Full tuneup and new fluids
- Add (or fix?) a lights-on reminder beeper
- Clean and polish exterior

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
92 Pickup SR5 V6 4x4
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what type of oil would you recommend for the transmission, transfer, as well as both differentials? i will be doing my clutch in the next couple weeks and i will be replacing all of the fluids at the same time. i will probably be going for Redline 75w90 unless i am convinced otherwise. thanks!

·
Registered
601 Posts
what type of oil would you recommend for the transmission, transfer, as well as both differentials? i will be doing my clutch in the next couple weeks and i will be replacing all of the fluids at the same time. i will probably be going for Redline 75w90 unless i am convinced otherwise. thanks!
Welcome to TN. Definitely use that redline you speak of for the transmission. 80w90 for the rest.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
We've had a number of gear oil threads this week but in a nutshell, you have to use a GL-4 lube in the transmission, if you don't want hard shifting and corroded synchros. Red Line makes several different 75W90 gear lubes - for the tranny you want the MT-90 product, which is a synthetic GL-4 fluid:
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?productID=46&subCategoryID=17&categoryID=7

But for the transfer and diffs, Red Line's GL-5 75W90 synthetic hypoid gear oil is the ticket:
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?productID=35&subCategoryID=15&categoryID=6

That's an excellent and very slippery oil that will be good in a range of temps and for most use. If you've increased your horsepower or will be doing severe off-roading, you might consider their shockproof oils in the transfer & diffs, but those oils are mainly for very severe service, and should never be used in the transmission.

For local Red Line dealers plug your zip & search radius into this page:
http://www.redlineoil.com/dealers.asp

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma
172 Posts
Actually in my 94 if you leave the lights on and the key isn't in the ignition it does make a noise. It's a high pitched constant ringing, not real sure how to describe it. I think it only does it when the door is open and the key's not in. But it does remind me.

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Mine doesnt have the lights on reminder, but many other trucks do. Might be cuz my truck is made from parts from 5 different trucks? :)

Thats a nice lookin truck you got there.
The only things I would probibly change would be the side steps ( your truck isnt that high...yet:)) and the K&N filter.

I would look into the ISR mod, it will clean up the engine bay some, and its cheap!

·
New TN Abuser
598 Posts
Nothing. They work well, and they're reusable. I wouldn't go out and buy one, since they are a bit pricey, but since the truck came with one, keep it. I would buy a spare paper filter for when you need to clean and reoil the k&n one, and once you do that, you basically never have to pay for a filter again. It's more environmentally friendly than a Prius!!

·
Premium Member
1992 Toyota 4x4
40 Posts
- Full-power window and door lock conversion (in my possession)

Which ones did you buy and where did you buy them I am interested in doing the same thanx in advance!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought my K&n for about $30. so it pays for itself since you never need another one and it slightly increases fuel mileage.

·
Registered
92 Pickup SR5 V6 4x4
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
We've had a number of gear oil threads this week but in a nutshell, you have to use a GL-4 lube in the transmission, if you don't want hard shifting and corroded synchros. Red Line makes several different 75W90 gear lubes - for the tranny you want the MT-90 product, which is a synthetic GL-4 fluid. But for the transfer and diffs, Red Line's GL-5 75W90 synthetic hypoid gear oil is the ticket.
im sorry for missing them but i admit i havent been searching too hard (guilty!). im still mostly active as a moderator on cb7tuner so im still getting used to keeping up to date on TN. but i really appreciate the post!!! that was exactly the input i was looking for. i am doing the clutch this weekend so this info came just in time.

that being said heres a pic of the clutch parts that i have. marlin crawler is great to do business with, and they seem to have very good prices, and they know what they are doing

i also have the following parts:
• felpro gasket set - all the major seals/gaskets minus the headgaskets. exhaust, all the IM ones, most importantly the leaking valve cover gaskets, plus many other grommets and oil seals.
• injector seal kit w/ new filters
• oil pan gasket
• distributor cap and rotor
• NGK V-Power plugs
• can of seafoam
• engine oil and filter
• PCV valve

the clutch this weekend will really be the first thing im doing to it since ive bought it, besides taking apart the dash for the headunit. while im in there im doing the oil pan gasket and anything else that i find would be worthwhile. if im feeling eager hopefully ill have the time to pull apart the intake manifold and clean everything out and reassemble it with the new seals. i tend to take a lot of pictures, so expect a number of them in the near future.

flashkl said:
as far as I know, there never was a lights on warning tone in these trucks, if you come up with an easy inexpensive way to retrofit something in, definately make a full write up.
i know mine definitely doesnt chime.
it has the key-in-ignition buzz but no lights reminder. i havent noticed or come across mention of the chime in the chiltons but i havent looked into it too closely yet. i have an extensive collection of spare '92 Accord parts so ill probably be wiring one of those in. that chime tone is familiar to me anyway. ill be sure to post it up when i do it.

REDTACO said:
Which ones did you buy and where did you buy them I am interested in doing the same thanx in advance!
they are the "concealed" in-door kit from JCWhitney (a present - damn my girl is good!!) i havent installed them yet, but its a great kit, with sealed lock actuators (not those spring-looking cheapie ebay ones) and remote-mounted window crank motors. they basically take the place of the crank handle, so there will be a little round cap in its place. i found a paint color that matches my interior pretty well so i will be using that to make the kit match, since the window/lock controls come in black. though i have to admit the actual switches they include look and feel great, i was impressed with the apparent quality of the kit. ill report back with the installation progress as well as how well it ends up working.

Jayota said:
The only things I would probibly change would be the side steps ( your truck isnt that high...yet:)) and the K&N filter.
hah, well see what happens! i was just happy it came included with them, because i know i would have tried to track them down later on. the K&N was also included, ill be running that until i get the mod/upgrade bug... then ill be taking some time to clean out and simplify the engine bay, starting with the bulky stock intake setup...

if anybody cares to take a look, my '92 Honda Accord EX takes up most of my focus/funds. it had always been my daily driver but its gotten to the point where i dont want to drive it in bad weather to conserve its condition, its rough on a car in the north east. plus its currently not running because of some valvetrain issues that ive been working out. i have an extensively updated thread on cb7tuner about its history, with lots of pictures. im pretty proud of it, though i admit its nowhere close to finished...
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=46612

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Man, I have a serious case of clutch envy! :lol:

Since you'll be in the neighborhood, do you know how many miles are on those starter contacts? That part is such a beast to get to, you might consider adding another task to your list.

Love those Aisins, too.

·
Registered
92 Pickup SR5 V6 4x4
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
anyway justin / doctorcipher came up and helped me start doing the clutch this weekend. we got everything apart, including pulling the oil pan (not pictured). upon getting the flywheel off i found a leaking rear main seal, so i have to wait until i can get a replacement at the dealership on monday before i can put everything back together.

having dug into it this far, i have to say, this thing really isnt that great to work on. :X there were a lot of things stuffed deep into weird corners that were really hard to get to, but i guess having a v6 + tranny + transfer + 2 differentials makes for a tight cramp, i shouldnt try to compare it to my 4cyl in the accord :p though all of the fasteners being rusted and stuck didnt help, but having air tools did :D

ill get to the pictures. let me know any comments or questions, as soon as i get to replace that rear main ill be able to continue putting everything back together and ill get the rest of the pics up :tu: its got a lot of oil leaked everywhere, the valve cover gaskets are leaking pretty terribly.

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Haha! Great pics :)

Good choice in clutches, I love my marlin.. You won't be disapointed.

As for the K&N filter. Its known they let more dirt in then a stock paper filter. I would rather spend the $10 on a new filter every other year and know my engine is protected.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts