Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to take my HL for them to check the battery because the resting voltage reading is a bit low (11.8v even after it has been charged by a wall charger for about 10hrs and w/o any load). Instead of taking it to where I original purchased the car, I wanted to take it to a local dealer because it's closer to me. I called them and they said I have to take it to the original dealer for Toyota CPO warranty services. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I wanted to take my HL for them to check the battery because the resting voltage reading is a bit low (11.8v even after it has been charged by a wall charger for about 10hrs and w/o any load). Instead of taking it to where I original purchased the car, I wanted to take it to a local dealer because it's closer to me. I called them and they said I have to take it to the original dealer for Toyota CPO warranty services. Does that sound right?
Did u find out what to do ? Can only say sometime ago I recall could go to any yoda dealer & CPO covered claim had a $50. ded. to fix. Sounds like change made, IDK ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Given my limited dealing with CPO it does sound correct. I was told the dealer certifies it, not Toyota. So if you want something covered/replaced based on the car being certified, you have to go to the same dealer.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If you want to have your battery and/or electrical charging system checked for free, got to Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, or O'reilly Auto Parts. I would never take it to a dealer for a first evaluation.

I would not think that batteries are even covered by a CPO warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I would not think that batteries are even covered by a CPO warranty.
You're right. The battery and assembly aren't covered under the 12 months CPO warranty. I'm now more curious about where I can take the car to get it serviced under warranty if I need to.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
You're right. The battery and assembly aren't covered under the 12 months CPO warranty. I'm now more curious about where I can take the car to get it serviced under warranty if I need to.
I suspect that the CPO warranty, just like the new car warranty, is honored at any Toyota dealer nationwide. Here is what Toyota says on their website:

"Along with industry-leading heritage comes another advantage; an exceptional coverage policy. With a 12-month/12,000-mile Limited Comprehensive Warranty, a 7-year/100,000-mile Limited Powertrain Warranty, plus one full year of Roadside Assistance, honored at more that 1,400 Toyota dealers in the U.S. and Canada, we've got you covered."

But you can call Toyota Motor customer service for more information.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I reached out to Toyota for clarification and they got back to me. Toyota stated in an email that CPO warranty is covered at all Toyota dealerships. I also spoke to the service manager at the dealership I wanted to use and he said that they will charge for the diagnostic even if the car is still under warranty but will reimburse only after it's determined that the problem is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
667 Posts
First of all, go to a auto zone and get the battery and electrical system checked out for free. Once you know it is the battery, you can then decide to take it to the dealership. More knowledge before you go to the dealership is better than less knowledge. Also, make sure a battery is covered under your warranty. If it is in fact a battery, you may be better off going to Wal-Mart and getting a Max-Everstart for 100 buck instead of dealing with the dealership circus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts