Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Limited
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CR says 2020 Avalon best large sedan by far and 5 out of 10 top picks are Toyota products not bad---

Large Sedan: Toyota Avalon
The Avalon is by far the highest-scoring vehicle in CR’s large sedan category, delivering a rare combination of roominess, sophistication, and efficiency. It stacks up well against cars from prestige brands costing $20,000 more. The model achieved a near-perfect score for ride comfort in CR’s testing and has the best predicted reliability in the category. The Avalon has a spacious, richly furnished cabin with wide, supportive front seats and rear seats with generous legroom. The sedan’s V6 engine, paired with a slick-shifting eight-speed transmission, provides lush power. Even more attractive, however, is the hybrid version, with fuel efficiency that you’d typically find in a much smaller car; CR measured 42 mpg overall, with 52 mpg on the highway. Like most Toyotas, the Avalon comes standard with a host of advanced safety systems, including pedestrian detection, FCW, BSW, and AEB (highway speed). We consider these to be essential safety systems that should come standard on all models.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
139 Posts
It is the (Avalon Hybrid) that boosts the C.R. ratings up so high for the increased mpg on the Avalon hybrids. Today`s cars have so much in car electronic that develop problems over time, even Toyota`s ratings fall lower than the older Toyota`s of the past.
Today`s new car electronic fixes can be very expensive. Which now makes me wonder if leasing might be better than long term ownership ? Time will tell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Avalon remains the best kept secret in the industry. I would pick this car over any German car any day for long term ownership. Now it has adequate power and sharp (polarizing) looks that makes it stand out.

It is the (Avalon Hybrid) that boosts the C.R. ratings up so high for the increased mpg on the Avalon hybrids. Today`s cars have so much in car electronic that develop problems over time, even Toyota`s ratings fall lower than the older Toyota`s of the past.
Today`s new car electronic fixes can be very expensive. Which now makes me wonder if leasing might be better than long term ownership ? Time will tell.
I would lease German and buy Japanese. Toyotas don’t lease well anyway. Electronics are more resilient than ever, but you are correct. There are many more points of potential failure. We’ll see how they fare!

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Avalon
51 Posts
yea agree, this is my first Japanese car and im very impressed with it (besides the entune and rattling headliner problems). But i expected first model year hickups with such a big change. But yea loving it. do wish it wasn't as "safe" when it comes to driving. tends to not like how i do some things lol. but i understand the tech so i know why it does it.

·
straight cash homie
19,928 Posts
I would lease German and buy Japanese. Toyotas don’t lease well anyway. Electronics are more resilient than ever, but you are correct. There are many more points of potential failure. We’ll see how they fare!
I don't necessarily think Toyotas all lease poorly, but its more of a YMMV, and what kind of deals you can find out there. If the manufacturer gives the dealers some incentives, then its a matter of timing and finding the dealer with them. Of course, luxury carmakers heavily incentivize their leases if they want to move units or to beat out their competition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't necessarily think Toyotas all lease poorly, but its more of a YMMV, and what kind of deals you can find out there. If the manufacturer gives the dealers some incentives, then its a matter of timing and finding the dealer with them. Of course, luxury carmakers heavily incentivize their leases if they want to move units or to beat out their competition.
This makes sense. Perhaps I failed to realize there is a difference between leasing poorly and simply not leasing as well as the luxury brands. I would 100% not bother leasing an Avalon though. They put tons of cash on the hood for financing.

If i really needed to lease I would get an ES.

·
straight cash homie
19,928 Posts
This makes sense. Perhaps I failed to realize there is a difference between leasing poorly and simply not leasing as well as the luxury brands. I would 100% not bother leasing an Avalon though. They put tons of cash on the hood for financing.

If i really needed to lease I would get an ES.
Definitely, Lexus vehicles will get more lease cash than Toyota on the average. And the Avalon definitely has plenty of retail cash incentives right now, nobody should be paying anywhere closer to invoice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts