Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Highlander LE Front Windshield cracked.
Local dealer Informed me that I have to replace windshield first and
come back to the dealership for calibration.

Calibration cost about $500.

so the total is about $1000.

Does Calibration is required? or something that I can skip this.

·
Registered
756 Posts

Yes - according to Toyota

Situations in which front camera optical axis learning is necessary: • The front camera has been replaced. • The windshield glass has been replaced or removed and installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Lean on the dealer-- Our 2017 XLE cracked at 1300 miles. Spontaneous Crack!! Lots of '17s have done this and after a little back and forth (and several hundred people eyeballing the crack) Toyota replaced it-calibrated it-everything. Zero out of pocket! Reading thru the forum there are quite a number of these, some attributed to 'NON-Toyota' windshields being installed somewhere along the line. Like I said, lean on them! Look at the glass after removal, you won't believe how thin it is!

·
Registered
2014 Highlander Lim
699 Posts

Re-Calibration is Unnecessary.... Ive replaced my windshield twice. The windshield has built in brackets for the rear view mirror and front facing camera. So everything goes back exactly where it was. Even if the insurance company pays for it you pay with increased premiums. Unless you took a direct hit I would not have the calibration done. But if you need piece of mind go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re-Calibration is Unnecessary.... Ive replaced my windshield twice. The windshield has built in brackets for the rear view mirror and front facing camera. So everything goes back exactly where it was. Even if the insurance company pays for it you pay with increased premiums. Unless you took a direct hit I would not have the calibration done. But if you need piece of mind go ahead and do it.
It should be fairly easy to tell if calibration is required if you are familiar with how the radar cruise, lane departure assist and auto high beams worked before the windshield replacement. If they all continue to function normally and especially if lane departure fires correctly when you are close to but still inside the lane markers on either side, I would be tempted to skip calibration.

Paul

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just curious because IDK, but wouldn't a random crack be covered by warranty?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Looked up what a glass replacement company recommends and if you have a Safelite in your area they may do the whole process.

https://www.safelite.com/windshield-camera-recalibration

When damage occurs and you need a windshield replacement, nearly all automakers specify that these camera systems need to be recalibrated.

For the camera and the safety system to continue to work properly, Safelite® AutoGlass typically completes the windshield replacement and safety system recalibration in one single appointment.

In MA the insurance pays for the total replacement with no deductible - not sure what they do in WA.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
In MA the insurance pays for the total replacement with no deductible - not sure what they do in WA.

Each state has their own insurance idiosyncrasies. Here in NH I have to carry a special glass coverage. It's cheap so I do it. In NY - glass is covered under comprehensive coverage. Other states - as long as you have collision then glass is covered.

·
Registered
2018 Highland SE
17 Posts
Had my windshield replaced after a crack and didn't get around to having it re-calibrated. That was about 3 months ago and everything (lane departure, collision avoidance, etc) has worked just fine so far.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just had my 2019 windshield replaced and Toyota stated it needed recalibration. It was covered by insurance fortunately.

Now it may work without calibration but I can see liability issues if Toyota states it must be done. Just my .02

·
Registered
1 Posts
To those that say calibration is unnecessary, I understand why you think that. After you replace or repair a windshield the systems may seem to operate correctly, and they do operate. Yes, the new windshield has brackets for the camera's and sensors but the axis will not be the same...so if your systems is working a 1 degree axis shift may mean the camera is seeing lanes, and vehicles 20 yards ahead of you instead of 100 yards or more..it is working but it may be looking up, down, left or right...you don't know where it is seeing. Think about trying to catch a football only being able to see it ten yards before it arrives verses 40 yards...what will your reaction time be...same with a windshield camera that is only off a degree or two...there was a car that had it's windshield replaced in NC, it was not calibrated and was two degrees low. The owner picked up the car and drove it...everything was fine...they were using the adaptive cruise control on the interstate....seemed to be working fine ...owner drove it that way over 30 miles after picking up the car. Because the angle was low, it was looking too far down...again, only slightly....while driving straight on the interstate with cruise at 78, it came upon an overpass, because the way the "intelligent cruise" reads objects...it is supposed to see them 100 or so yards down the road and monitor them as they get closer..ie larger in field of view...the camera, because it was down a slight amount...it did not "see" the overpass until the car was 40 yards from going under it...it interpreted the overpass as a new immediate object in the road..such as a tractor trailer blocking the road, the computer applied auto maximum braking to avoid the object it suddenly saw (this being an overpass), going into maximum braking on the interstate caused a 5 car chain reaction . The cars behind the car hit the rear of the car with auto cruise and so on. So just because your cars systems seems to work ok, how do you know where it is getting the readings to work from...10 feet in front of your car or 500 feet..you don't know and there is no light on your dash to tell you. There will only be a light on the dash due to a hardware failure. I work in the business and see these kind of accidents more than you would believe. Why are there so many cars in the junkyard with collisions that have collision avoidance systems... it is because they were not calibrated. Even alignments or tire changes require re-calibrations on most cars. Shops don't tell you this because they have to send cars out for calibrations due to the complexity and special space requirements. Believe this or not, it's your decision but there is a reason your cars manufacturer REQUIRES calibration after many events not just windshields. Dealers are not the only place you can have your windshield calibrated, I have a dedicated business that does only ADAS calibrations. While I am sure some glass repair shops can do some minor calibrations but due to the strict tolerance and special space and tools needed, I would not let a glass company calibrate my windshield in house, they know windshields, not advanced car electronics. Calibrations is all I do and have the highest level of certification(s) available.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just because the camera systems are working doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be recalibrated. Carguy20 explained a lot of why. Glass manufacturers sometimes put different types of brackets in their glass, and many times those brackets aren’t on perfectly. It needs to re-learn how to properly see the road. Another reason to get it recalibrated is that if at any time down the road there’s an issue with the camera system, your dealer will not warranty it if they weren’t able to confirm it was working properly and the glass shop, had they explained to you to get it recalibrated, also will not take responsibility. We can recalibrate most cars in the aftermarket world, and the computer systems that are used guarantee the camera is in good condition after it was recalibrated. It’s too easy to say it’s working so I’m not gonna pay for it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just had my 2019 replaced. Rock crack, not covered under warranty. Safelite $100 deductible on my insurance. They included the camera re-calibration and gave a ""certificate" stating it had been done. Dealer wanted about $800 for total job, plus sending calibration "business"" to another shop nearby.

·
Registered
2017 Highlander XLE, 2020 Rav 4 XLE
113 Posts
Just had my 2019 replaced. Rock crack, not covered under warranty. Safelite $100 deductible on my insurance. They included the camera re-calibration and gave a ""certificate" stating it had been done. Dealer wanted about $800 for total job, plus sending calibration "business"" to another shop nearby.
My neighbor had a similar issue Safelite installed the windshield and did the recalibration at no cost. The recalibration had to be done at the Safelite facility however. Fortunately the Safelite facility is just a few miles away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ah too bad to hear what a hassle this is. My windshield is just barely cracked in the corner in such a way that I don't think it will spread. But given what you all said about thin glass I'm sure I'll get some other crack soon enough.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank God. Somebody else who understands. Well put.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts