Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma 4x4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to notice a buzzing sound when traveling over 50 mph, and vibrations in the steering wheel as well. After careful examinatiion I found several cracks in the front skid plate. I'm really not sure how I did this. I guess the racoon I hit a couple of weeks ago finally got the last laugh.

Any ideas on a replacement? How about quality of this stock skid plate?

Any thoughts on replacement options? Quality defect?

·
What is this!?
06 Double Cab Tacoma
821 Posts
uptown711 said:
I started to notice a buzzing sound when traveling over 50 mph, and vibrations in the steering wheel as well. After careful examinatiion I found several cracks in the front skid plate. I'm really not sure how I did this. I guess the racoon I hit a couple of weeks ago finally got the last laugh.
:lol:

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
I can tell just from looking at it that you have the first gen skid plate.

They redesigned it mid-2005 because it was vibrating and eventually cracking.

Did you truck come with the skid plate or did you buy it aftermarket? I'm not sure there is an actual TSB on it but any parts manager should be aware of the problems with the original design. You should be able to go in to the parts counter and get a new one. Tell them you are now aware of the vibrating problem and you want the redesigned plate.

Can you find a part # on there anywhere?

Take a look at this thread: http://toyotanation.com/forum/t92195.html

·
Red Headed Slut
1,843 Posts
boone said:
I can tell just from looking at it that you have the first gen skid plate.

They redesigned it mid-2005 because it was vibrating and eventually cracking.

Did you truck come with the skid plate or did you buy it aftermarket? I'm not sure there is an actual TSB on it but any parts manager should be aware of the problems with the original design. You should be able to go in to the parts counter and get a new one. Tell them you are now aware of the vibrating problem and you want the redesigned plate.

Can you find a part # on there anywhere?

Take a look at this thread: http://toyotanation.com/forum/t92195.html
Even though I had no clue that they redesigned the skid plate, I'll have to agree with Boone. Why? Because I've used my skid plate for it's true intended purpose, rocks! I've bashed mine off a few decent sized rocks and got nothing more than a few scratches/small dents. There's no way a Racoon cracked a piece of aluminum like that.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Rodge said:
Even though I had no clue that they redesigned the skid plate, I'll have to agree with Boone. Why? Because I've used my skid plate for it's true intended purpose, rocks! I've bashed mine off a few decent sized rocks and got nothing more than a few scratches/small dents. There's no way a Racoon cracked a piece of aluminum like that.
It could if you were doing 55+ mph. I promise. Especially being the older, weaker design. Those skids look to be cast aluminum, not a stamped sheet of solid stock.

·
What is this!?
06 Double Cab Tacoma
821 Posts
Nicky9 said:
must have been them armour plated raccoons from out west!

Do you even know what a racoon looks like? :disappoin

·
And My Dog Remington
725 Posts
BlkDCabTaco said:
Do you even know what a racoon looks like? :disappoin
Sure... its just a big rat with a bushy tail. Ever heard of an Armadillo? Get it "armoured racoon"? :rolleyes:

·
And My Dog Remington
725 Posts
BlkDCabTaco said:
why would you say amoured racoon though :confused:
I hope you just made a funny???????????????????????????????????????????????????:eek:

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
Thats donnie darkcos next nightmare.

·
Mine is better than yours
'06 Dbl-Cab 4x4 Taco
1,211 Posts
BillBrasky said:
It's the same as calling a groundhog a woodchuck. Same animal.

Or a whistle pig......

Marc M

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
wow.

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Registered
335 Posts
Back to the topic on hand... You have the first gen skid plate. I dont know how you got it to last this long. I had the first one and it would vibrate over 65 mph. Thar first gen does not have the steel bracket behind it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts