Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off yes I've done a search.
I have some crappy stock 5 1/4 speakers in the rear deck of my sedan.
Can I install 6 1/2's or 6X9's back there? I need advice from people who have done this themselves. I've seen it done on some coupes, but I'm not sure on the difference back there.
I understand there would be cutting, which doesn't really matter to me. But is there enough room with the trunk torsen things running underneath?
Do I need spacers or risers?
Can I just get a dremel, enlarge the hole and use 6.5's with aftermarket grilles fairly easily??
And I would like to do this cheaply. So if its going to run double to do 6X9s, then obviously I'm not going to.
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
5 1/4 are still small. If they all cost roughly the same amount, then why not go bigger?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i've thought of drilling out holes for 6x9's but obviously from underneath, you can see that there are large metal bars or what not underneath the rear dash, as well as the torson bars for the trunk lid. cheaply, i wouldn't think of trying to cut out 6x9 holes in the rear deck. For 6.5", it MIGHT be possible to enlarge the holes where the 5" sit right now, but personally I'm not sure if that would work. most definetly you would need some spacers/risers. I, personally, just have 6x9's in the rear deck, but in their own speaker boxes. cheap and less work. you just have to make or find the right boxes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you might be right about the 6X9's being a PITA. I assumed that, but just had to make sure anyone else has had any imput on it. I think i'm going to do some measuring, and see if I can make room for 6.5's. If not anything I put in there will be better than blown 15 y.o. speakers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
haha at first i was wondering what PITA was, but i got it. :p nice nice, yeah go for some 6.5"s. that would sound a lot better than stock. when i got my rolla, it was horrible. not even 5's just 4's in the rear. the previous owner wasn't an audio person. such a pain. but yeah, let us know how you do on the fabrication.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
The problem is that you're getting into cutting the rear deck metal if you want to install 6x9s, 6.5s will fit very snug.

I just installed 6.5s on the back of my 90 GTS over the holidays, the fit alright considering the GTS's come with some crazy bracketry on the rear deck for the speakers as opposed to SR5s or Sedans :disappoin but I got it working.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ttt

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ren, not only the GT-Ses have the terrible speaker brackets. The SR5s are a mess too, that's why I just paid some guy to install 6x9s in my SR5. BUT, if you have a sedan, just upgrade the stock speakers, therefore saving your stock setup and resale value. Then, to get some bass, pop in some cheap subwoofers, and you're all set.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ttt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts