Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to remove the crank pully bolt on my 92 3VZ-FE. i need to make sure that im trying to go the right way, i know the engine goes clockwise, and im trying to make the bolt go counter clockwise, is this correct, also are there any tips on how to get this blasted thing off anyway, if im going the right direction already? ive tried breaker bar, and impact...nothing!!!!:headbang:

ps, ive searched, no help.

·
Grenaded piston
6,622 Posts
Axel Kain said:
i know the engine goes clockwise, and im trying to make the bolt go counter clockwise, is this correct
Correct.

also are there any tips on how to get this blasted thing off anyway, if im going the right direction already? ive tried breaker bar, and impact...nothing!!!!
A air powered impact wrench should have no problem loosening up that bolt.

1. You can also try bracing the breaker bar against the frame or lower control arm. Then crank the engine over.

If you do this, pull the EFI fuse.

2. Remove the access plate to the flywheel/flexplate. Wedge a crowbar inbetween 2 teeth of the flywheel/flexplate to keep it from spinning. Use a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,932 Posts
yeah, what 88 said. #1 worked like a charm for me when i did mine. i wedged my breaker bar against the floor and just bumped the starter. if you do it this way, do make sure the motor is disabled so it doesnt start!

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Like someone else said make sure you pull the EFI fuse or disconnect the distributor or something so the car can not run. Once you do this you can bump it and it will be fine. You jsut want to hit the key long enough for the engine to crank. You can also try using a chain wrench. SOmething like this http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=5828&group_ID=598 you jsut have to be careful not to damage the grooves onteh pulley when you use this.

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i ended up getting it towed to a friend of my dad's shop, and he took a 3/4" impact and blipped it right off. all i had to pay was towing.

ive gotton everything back togather now!!!! thank god! and just so you know, on reassembly, when going to put the upper motormount, and accessories on it on, you kinda have to pry on the big metal plate that it mounts to to have everything line up...i might get a pic if i can.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
Sometimes a little reverse psychology helps. That is, alternately try to tighten and lossen the bolt. My electric impact is not all that powerful but using this technique, i havent once found something it wont take off. Just tighten it for a sec, or try to. Then try loosening. Tighten, loosen, tighten, etc. you will batter it free.

I have an expensieve sears electric impact that cost me $200 and works bitchin for this stuff. But harbor freight has a similar one for like 80 and i am kikcing myself for paying for the good one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45252

Ive seen other on sale for like $40 , and how many times will you really use it anyway to justify getting a top of the line one. Probably would have cost less than your tow.

·
Grenaded piston
6,622 Posts
^ You get what you pay for. I'd rather buy a good one once, then buy junk multiple times.

With that said, I have a Ingersoll Rand IR231 (1/2" drive air impact wrench). Paid about $200 for it at Sears.

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well my dad warned me of the possibility of stripping flywheel and starter teeth, so i figured id go the safer route. reassembly was a bit of a jolty...breeze!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.