Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear all,

I am a new driver. My 2001 Camry has an automatic transmission. I would like to confirm the following steps to fully protect the transmission.

Start:
1.Switch key to ACC
2.Apply brake pedal
3.Start Engine
4.Still apply brake pad and switch to 'D' or 'R'.
5.Release parking brake
6.Release brake pedal

Stop:(no matter steep incline or not)
1.Apply brake pedal and Full stop
2.Continue apply brake pedal and Switch to 'N'
3.Lever parking brake.
4.Release brake pedal
5.Stop engine and Switch to key ACC
6.Switch from 'N' to 'P'
7.Unplug the key

Would you please help take look at these steps?

Many thanks,

·
Registered
855 Posts
Start:
1.Switch key to ACC
1b. Make sure all accessories are turned off. ie HVAC, fog lights, Radio etc... (This greatly decreases battery load when you turn the key to actually start the car.
2.Apply brake pedal
3.Start Engine
4.Still apply brake pad and switch to 'D' or 'R'.
5.Release parking brake
6.Release brake pedal

Stop:(no matter steep incline or not)
1.Apply brake pedal and Full stop
2.Continue apply brake pedal and Switch to 'N'
2b. No need to put into N, but what I do suggest is continue to apply the brakes, put it in P and pull hand brake. Especially when you are downhill or uphill, the handbrake/parkbrake should be used. Nothings worst than the car popping into D when you leaving the parking spot. Also get in the habit of using the parkbrake or handbrake all the time. It keeps it from seizing when its not being used for a long time
3.Lever parking brake.
4.Release brake pedal
5.Stop engine and Switch to key ACC
6.Switch from 'N' to 'P'
7.Unplug the key

·
Registered
542 Posts
Someone posted here a while ago on this topic, and they thought it was a good idea to park the car like this:
-stop car, hold brake pedal down. Move shifter to "N", apply parking brake. Release foot brake. Move lever to "P".

I go along with that. If you park your car on an incline and put the lever in "P", then release the foot brake, you're putting a little bit of a strain on the transmission. No big deal really, but it all adds up when you do it a couple thousand times.

I used to have to park on an inclined driveway. I used blocks of wood for wheel chocks and still parked it just like this.
Maybe parking it like this helps the transmission life, maybe i am just being anal, it's hard to tell; but i'm sure it won't hurt the car.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I go along with that. If you park your car on an incline and put the lever in "P", then release the foot brake, you're putting a little bit of a strain on the transmission. No big deal really, but it all adds up when you do it a couple thousand times.

I used to have to park on an inclined driveway. I used blocks of wood for wheel chocks and still parked it just like this.
Maybe parking it like this helps the transmission life, maybe i am just being anal, it's hard to tell; but i'm sure it won't hurt the car.
That is why you should be holding the brakes the entire time until you put after you pull the handbrake or foot brake. Just like Duke said :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts