Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You're near TorC? Another New Mexico Camry on the forum?
Actually I am 6 miles above the spaceport (spaceport America) in a little town called Cutter with maybe 10 occupied residences. I see your in Santa Fe. That would be a cool place to live, near all the coolest mountains, lakes and parks in NM and practically a stones throw from Colorado.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
3,504 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah, not oily or ashy. Was wondering if your cat was clogged up and killing it. I had ignition and related issues once, turned out it was a bad tank of gas.
I'm wondering if because I have had this vehicle off the road for extended periods that gas might be an issue. Even though I always put stable it it. Never good to let vehicles sit.

Funny thing though is I just got done with an 1800 mile trip right before all these issues started rearing their ugly heads.

Not like it sat a long time than I tried to get it back up and running.

·
3,504 Posts
Had a CR-V that sat for several months. Never could get it to turn over - the gas just went tatas up. Since it was a goner for other reasons I just had it carted away. You may consider draining the gas and adding new to see what happens. Cheaper than throwing parts at it yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
An update. I took a plug out still attached to the coil and grounded it while somebody tried cranking and I saw it spark like maybe one time than nothing.

So I googled how to and checked crank and cam sensors. Crank produces 1 volt ac as what people said it should do. Cam did not. Maybe .1 volt. So I bought a new sensor, installed it and same problem. It's not producing any voltage when I crank the motor.

When I first installed it the car seemed like it wanted to start but than started doing the same thing it did as mentioned in previous posts.

Not sure what to think. I bought the cheapest sensor rock auto offers. Probably not the wisest decision. But not sure its the problem. Or maybe there is a dead short somewhere and the sensor is getting fried somehow?

Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Can you compare the supply voltage from ECM to the crank/cam sensors?
Somehow I missed seeing this post, sorry about that.

It's a 2 wire magnetic type sensor that sends 1 volt ac to the ecm every time the do dad thing on the cam goes past it. So I presumed there would be no voltage going to it from the ecm with or without the key on.

I also presumed that's why my obd software doesn't show an error for it. The communication only occurs when the do dad thing on the cam shaft goes past the sensor. Or in other words when the motor is running?

Don't know weather this youtube link works:
But it shows me turning the cam shaft while I cranked the motor. So I know that isn't the problem. Also all the various information my obd reader gives me.
ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX USB: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Windows

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So I googled how to and checked crank and cam sensors. Crank produces 1 volt ac as what people said it should do. Cam did not. Maybe .1 volt. So I bought a new sensor, installed it and same problem. It's not producing any voltage when I crank the motor.

Not sure where to go from here.
Or actually both the new and old one would produce .1 volt.

So maybe that is what they are supposed to do and I'm barking up the wrong tree.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok, so my neighbor asked me if I ever figured out what was wrong with my car. I told him no. He said well maybe I'll come by and look at it. I wasn't too convinced he knew what he was doing anymore than I.

After trying all the obvious things like checking for fuel and spark which I had already done. I don't know whether it was dumb luck what but he saw the security light was flashing. Which I new about. But didn't know what to do about it since the manual didn't have any suggestions other than take it to the dealer.

He wanted to short two wires together under the steering column. which I wasn't about to let him do to he said, bypass the security system. But while he was fumbling under the steering column right under where you put the key in or the ignition switch, he noticed a 4 or 5 prong modular plug that was disconnected.

So he plugged that back in and it started right the f-ck up. The prior owner had the dash replaced for some reason I don't remember his saying. I'm guessing it either did not get fastened all the way back in or maybe bumped or pulled loose when that job was done and finally worked it's way loose enough to where good contact was no longer being made.

That explains why a couple of times I was able to start and run it and other times it wouldn't start up. It hasn't run in almost a year now. I would periodically try things and it would just try to start while cranking over the motor than it was like the ignition and fuel were cut off by the computer but it would still crank.

Because the security light no longer is flashing it must have been the immobilizer circuit that disables starting.

It would have been nice if it disabled the starter also. Then I might not have wasted as much time on trouble shooting all the other possibilities.

He spent about 3 hours on it. I gave him 50 bucks he was happy, I'm happy too! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wow incredible story. Thanks for the update!
Yep! Fat chance it will help anyone else though. What are the chances something like that would just come undone.

But if anything else, I learned if you have a clue like the flashing security light try to follow through on what it's doing and what it should be doing.

Don't just ignore it.
camrykey2.jpg

21 - 33 of 33 Posts