Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1995 3.0L V6 Pickup with Manual Transmission failed to start the other day. I realized that the timing belt had been stripped of its teeth at the crankshaft gear. So, every time I was cranking the engine, the crankshaft was spinning, but not the camshaft gears.

I believe that this engine is non-interference, so I am hoping that I didn't bend any valves or do other damage.

My question is: How do I align the crankshaft with the camshafts, now that they are not timed correctly? The manual that I have instructs me to align the top marks on the camshaft gears and the top mark on the crankshaft gear and then replace the belt. Is it this easy?

Thanks!

· Toyota Collector
12,473 Posts
It is that "easy" although not as easy as it sounds. The cams like to turn on their own, and keeping them in place while you are installing the belt can be a challenge. I would recommend you get an OEM timing belt kit and do the job properly seeing you will have the front of the engine apart anyway.

User aircabinman on Ebay has good kits, there are different ones ranging from just the timing belt, water pump and bearings, to kits that come with everything including the tensioner and crank/camshaft seals. It depends on the mileage and condition of the engine as to what kit you should buy. The timing belt itself has marks on it which makes lining up the the belt on the crank/camshafts foolproof.

· Registered
Lndcrs, 4run, camry,
2,449 Posts
I agree that is the easy part. Its getting to it that sometimes gets a little challenging.

I tend to always on these motors change all seals and water pump when I do a timing belt regardless of millage or condition, as the last thing you want is in 5,000 miles, start leaking oil from the front, when just a seal change will prevent this. Bearings I will change on condition, as long as they are smooth and don't make noise, then I won't change them. But as the last poster indicated you can get many different kinds of kits. I do try to save some money when appropriate. Maintenance is as subjective as the mech working on it, when it comes to changing parts.

· Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,033 Posts
There are literally a hundreds threads on this at yotatech.com

VERY detailed about what you need to do when you do a timing belt. I'd read extensively before starting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.