Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't remove my crankshaft pulley on my '97 camry 4 cyl. Anybody have any hints? Is it reverse threaded? What's the best way to hold my flywheel?

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
if you can get an air impact gun, then that would be the way to go, you'll still have to use a pulley puller after you get the bolt off

to hold the flywheel, you can simply jam a prybar through it and against the block

and if you can't get an impact gun, then remember, leverage is your friend

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm also curious about this. I'm planning on removing my 3S-FE pulley with hand tools.

Is it ok to stick a prybar into the gear teeth where the starter goes? Or will that wreck something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not where the starter goes, but from directly under the flywheel. Just pry over the flywheel cover and there you go. I've also heard of a guy using a strap wrench on the pulley, but I'm not sure about that one.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
StusToyota said:
Not where the starter goes, but from directly under the flywheel. Just pry over the flywheel cover and there you go. I've also heard of a guy using a strap wrench on the pulley, but I'm not sure about that one.
i've tried a chain wrench, and it works good at home, just wrap around the crankshaft pulley with the chain wrench to hold it still, and use the rachet socket wrench to loose the crankshaft bolt. i also use water pipe to extend the wrench arm longer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody. I got it off with a floor jack and a breaker bar. Now just got to remove the pulley and get the timing set. :cool:

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
an impact gun may not always work with this... the torque on this bolt is pretty strong. when i do it, i put a bar in the flywheel/flexplate and prybar it from there...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had a hard time installing my unorthodox racing underdrive pulley until I hit on this:
1. Remove wheel
2. Secure car on jack stands and remove water shield
3. Place breaker bar with socket on bolt and brace against ground
4. Stand back and have someone crank the car over, you want to just turn the key for a split second.
5. Starter itself breaks bolt loose
6. Unscrew bolt by hand and tap pulley off with a wooden block.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts