Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Major problem!!!

i finally got around to changing out my spark plugs, but now my car won't start.

Changed plugs, cables, distributor cap, and rotor.
also, took off EGR Valve and deep creeped it.

I'm pretty sure i put everything back together. I looked around, and there are no left over parts. All hoses and connectors are connected.

After filling with coolant, i started it up, and there was a high pitch wine and then the car dies.

will upload video/sound clip in a few.

Help!

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Possibly the intake plenum or something is loose..sounds like air sucking in.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Something like that yeah..Sorta sounds like a massive vacuum leak...it rushes up in RPM and then drops dead .. ie..too lean. Ive had a similar occurance and it was like that.

Check other stuff too like the EGR bolts etc.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
dear god, i hope it's not some thing silly as just EGR bolts LOL
I didn't torqure 1 of the bolts.

But, since you mentioned that it might be the intake plenum, I have a feeling that it has to do with the gasket between the intake chamber and the manifold. I wasn't able to remove all of the old gasket especially by the 2 end bolts.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
It took me about an hour to remove plenum to manifold gasket too (and I did it while working in the fairly well-equipped shop ).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
an hour? geez, i'll give you the advantage of the fairly equipped shop.

i was workin on the gasket w/ a scraper and Permatex Gakset remover for 3 hours. The only gaskets i was able to remove completely were the EGR gaskets.

I'll take another go at it again later on this afternoon

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Soak the gasket with diesel fuel or kerosene, using small paint brush. You may also place cuts with sharp blade on the gasket surface to facilitate fluid penetration.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
problem resolved. it WAS the old gasket. according to the mech that helped me out, the old gasket was hard as a rock >.<

put instead of screamin, she purrs like a happy kitty ^_^

with the new spark plugs and cables, i can feel the car pull more! the accelerator feels tighter too. I hope that solves my low gas mileage issue. ^_^

1 - 10 of 10 Posts