Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1992 MR2 NA
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to install a turbo exhaust on a non-turbo? I was looking at the exhaust system and I am trying find the differences. Please discuss your knowledge or experience. Thanks....

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Most likely will be too free flowing and hurt whatever performance you currently have.

·
Boob
57 Posts
you are interested in the turbo exhaust because it is wider or what? the turbo exhaust is going to have a down pipe... and then you want it to connect to the catback or what? sorry, kind of confused

·
Registered
1992 MR2 NA
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DSR,
I was interested in the turbo exhaust because I cannot find an exhaust for the non-turbo. So I was wondering if anyone ever tried to put an turbo exhaust on a non-turbo MR2....

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
The OEM turbo exhaust does NOT have a downpipe.

The Turbos have a primary cat that hangs off the turbocharger.
The NAs have a primary cat that hangs off of the manifold.
BOTH cats, hang in the same location.

BOTH cats lead into a B-pipe.
BOTH B-pipes lead into the Muffler section.
The B-pipes are slightly different in length, so you HAVE to have the turbo b-pipe with the turbo muffler section and vice-versa.

BOTH set ups use the SAME mounting points and bolt to the primary cat at the same location.

You will not lose any noticeable low end going to the turbo set up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
The B-pipes are slightly different in length, so you HAVE to have the turbo b-pipe with the turbo muffler section and vice-versa.

UNLESS You:

1. Cut the Turbo muffler pipe about 4" behind the flange (way before the U-bend).

2. Go to the muffler shop, get 9" of pipe that fits inside the stock pipe and two clamps.

3. Extend the Turbo muffler inlet by the difference between the Turbo and the N/A mufflers. (The Turbo B-pipe has a secondary cat, mounted in front of the muffler, hence the difference in length.)

4. Bolt it together, clamp it together. Total cost, about ten bucks.

Note- the B-pipe to muffler bracket won't line up. In almost three years of running that setup, I never had a problem with the exhaust system rigidity.

BTW, I've been running the Turbo muffler on my V6 with headers and no cat. It is SO open that it backfires slightly when cold, and it's an OBDII motor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oh yeah, that 1/8" total is really going to kill it. :)

It's not only the pipe diameter that's different about the muffler, Turbo vs. N/A, it's the internal baffling that absolutely must be different. If you haven't heard it, you need to. I got a LOT of compliments on how my 5SFE N/A sounded.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mods? Does a V6 count? :)

I have the seventh "known" V6 MR2 in the US. As far as mods, it "only" has headers, no cat, a Fidanza flywheel. About 215 HP, maybe 220 TQ (at the crank).

·
Registered
123 Posts
ishcoleobo said:
I dunno.... v6 isn't really a mod ;)... hah.
Yeah, it is almost a stock motor. :)

After all, when you put in a brand new motor (zero miles), brand new LSD tranny, and brand new axles, who cares if your intake isn't stock? So, guess it's pretty much bolt-in mods. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm not going to make a pissing contest out of this, BUT, suffice it to say, it is a MINIMAL part of the exhaust system that is being reduced, by a MINIMAL amount, because, you are doing this to a pipe that is a bit larger to begin with. (About 1/4" bigger in diameter I think.)

The fact of the matter is that there is a negligible performance gain from the swap, BUT, the car sounds great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts