Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going back and forth on if I was gonna get rid of my Camry or not. But I've decided to just dive into it because It drove me through probably the worst period in my life last year and I can't bring myself to get rid of it. My question is will a 2vz mate up to my manual trans? I have a 1989 3sfe fwd car and I don't know the trans designation for the 5 speed these came with. I'm planning on getting a v6 parts car for the rear disk brakes and the interior And I'd like to know if the v6 is even any good and worth swapping after my 3sfe eventually dies. Thanks for the input and sorry for the length and sappy start of this post lol.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,284 Posts
The V6 was available from the factory with a manual transmission. It is a different manual transmission than the manual in your 4-cylinder...

That said, with the right combination of parts, you can use either manual transmission with either engine. *BUT* you will need to make sure the ECU you use will be happy running without an auto transmission attached (I think the V6 has trans control built in to the ECU) or get a manual transmission ECU. It is also likely that you will need to do at least some re-wiring of the car (other than simply swapping harnesses) just due to differences between years, etc.

To summarize, the S-series transmission (S51, S53, etc. - the 4-cylinder manual transmission) and the E-series transmission (E52, E151, E153, etc. - the 6 cylinder and Alltrac manual transmission) will mate up to a 3S, 5S, 2VZ, 3VZ, 1MZ, 3MZ and a few other engines in those families.

The engine bay does have different mounting points on the timing belt side of the engine depending on 4-cylinder or V6, so that is also something you have to contend with.

-Charlie

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,284 Posts
I'm impressed you can find a 2VZ manual tranny parts car.
He has a V6 auto parts car and a 4 cylinder manual driver, at least as far as I could figure out.

-Charlie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm impressed you can find a 2VZ manual tranny parts car.
He has a V6 auto parts car and a 4 cylinder manual driver, at least as far as I could figure out.

-Charlie
Yeah I just wanted the v6 as a backup engine. But I could always just buy a v6 parts car for other things I want from it then sell/scrap it and get a 3s parts car. Just wanna keep the ole slammry alive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts