Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! since last month, I notice a poping/creaking sound in the passenger side front wheel when I hit the small bumb in my driveway while turing left and bringing back the steering wheel to the center position.

Also, sometimes i feel the car slipping on the frond axle about an inch side to side, like if a sway bar was loose or something?. (tires are a bit worn, and have non-hub centric spacers between them and the hub.) May be due to some spots of gravel in the driveway under the wheels too...

Wondering if the creaking/poping may be related to control arms, bushings or shocks. I hit a curb very hard this spring with that wheel, (exited a round about but didn't steer enough and hit the outside of it while pickup speed at the end of it). No extreme damage to the wheel, I sanded and repainted an about 1 foot circular mark. The car it self was propelled almost out of its lane when it happened, I'd say it was pushed almost half a meter to the left when the right wheel had that hit. (no other car was present at the left, or behind me, fortunately).

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Check your CV boot for tears and grease on the splash shield.

When you hit the curb, did you go over the curb or did you hit it with the face of the wheel? How fast were you going?

If you went over the curb, the joints in the CV got impacted and would be a minimum part to be replaced. Also inspect your lower ball joint.

If you hit the curb with the wheel, then it's more tie rod ends, wheel bearing, and axle. Could be more.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, thanks for the details!

the wheel didn't go over it, the face of the rim hit it, scraped almost half the circumference of its side on the curb and then pushed the car to the left. Speed might have been 45-50 MPH. Honestly, thought the rim would have cracked but it held on.

Axle could be expensive to replace? I think sometimes, the noise comes more from drivers side,

The sideways slipping seems to happen only in my driveway. Im starting to think resurfacing it might help, In my work's empty parking lot in the morning, I did a few sharp turns both sides but it doesnt produce any noise/feel, I think it need to be a bump that i'm turning on.

I tried to move some of the weaker parts (thinks they were the stabilizer links and the tie rods) but didn't feel any movement there, do i need to lift the front end to check this better?

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Yes, get the car off the ground and let gravity guide you.

Grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock positions and wiggle the wheel. If you feel play, it could be the tie rod. Pull on the axle and verify there's no play.

To test the ball joint, you need to load the suspension with a floor jack and the move it to see if there's play. Sometimes you can visually see the boot tear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi heres an update. I redrove in the Rolla and realised the noise happens, not when turning, but when releasing the brakes after a good quick deceleration (say from 20miles an hour to 5 in a second or two)

Could the culprit only be a drive shaft that needs to be greased?

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Could be wheel bearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts