Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last paragraph of this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Cressida says that Toyota has Cressida/Crown/Chaser prototypes, and that they might consider bringing the cars back. Has anybody heard about this, and are there pics. This would be awesome if the brought the Cressida back.

·
Registered
406 Posts
From the article:

"Currently, Toyota of Japan is considering bringing back the Crown/Mark II/Cressida, and has already shown completed prototypes and designs at car shows. Only time will tell if this new concept becomes a reality..."

Bold for emphasis.

They may have been referring to the Mark II, which was brought back as the now current Mark X. The Crown also exists now in Japan, as it's most recent gen just came out a few years ago.

As for the Cressida, it may be redundant to bring it back, seeing as the Crown and Mark II are both RWD, and both already fit specific market niches where the Cressida would have been.

·
Cressida Whore
435 Posts
Well, they should bring back the Cressida because it was hard to get when the last gen was out. It they ever do revive the Cressida, I'll buy it if: its RWD, I-6 (maybe V6), fun to drive just like the old ones, comfortable, extremely reliable, and carries its sexy emblem.

·
Registered
406 Posts
CACressida said:
Well, they should bring back the Cressida because it was hard to get when the last gen was out. It they ever do revive the Cressida, I'll buy it if: its RWD, I-6 (maybe V6), fun to drive just like the old ones, comfortable, extremely reliable, and carries its sexy emblem.
The Cressida always shared it's basic platform with the Mark II. I'm guessing the Mark X would be a car that would suit you really well, but they're not sold here in North America.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The Mark X continues the X chassis (hence why it's called "X-body" in Japan) code, while also sharing its platform with the Crown Athlete/Royal, Lexus IS, and GS.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
CACressida said:

CACressida... you forgot... NO BHG!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Have Toyota bring the "REIS" from CHINA. (it's already LHD) bring it over, crash one for safety purposes.. and rebadge them as Cressida... done.. =)

(oh price it lower than the Avalon... it's getting expensive.. can't afford it if it's more than an Avalon.)

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My grandpa bought a '90 Cressida brand new, and his head gasket never blew. He's friends with the owner of the dealer, and he traded it in for a '97 Avalon (8 years ago). The owner gave it to his kids, who still have it, and it's gone 260,000 miles (more than my '84) problem free.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CACressida said:
Yeah, Toyota would almost ruin it if they made it FWD, and put like the 1MZ-FE in it.:disappoin :lol: I want RWD, 6 speed auto, lots of luxury, and a revive M motor, Toyota.:thumbup:

·
Ninja-rator
4,262 Posts
woudn't the cressida be entering in the avalon market?

they might have to find some niche with it...other wise it's a redundant product if put along side the avalon...in my opinion and i dont' think Toyota likes selling competing products from it's own line

i say so because a fully loaded camry v6 xle is up there near a lower avalon already...how will the cressida fit?

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
WOuld be ahrd to bring the Cressida back when you consider the Avalon was it replacement for the most part. Like others said it would be hard to bring it back. Where would you put it. IF you go higher than the avalon you might as well buy a LExus and if you go lower there are low end Avalons and high end Camrys. But like others said you do have th option of going for the IS or GS.

·
Cressida Whore
435 Posts
The Cressida is a sporty luxury sedan. Somewhat like a GS. Toyota can put a Cressida back in the market if they made it alil bigger than what it is now, but smaller than a Camry, i'm sure customers would want a personal performance sedan witha Toyota badge. And a I6!!!

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
I would love to see them bring the Cressida back and place it between the IS and the GS in price and looks, that way its not competing against the LS.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well the Avalon is FWD and Toyota could position the Cressida for people that want RWD 4 door sedan. Just don't make it as expensive as the GS.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yes.. I agree.. just like the ES and IS. 2 cars in roughly the same price range.. 1 for the more luxury folks.. the other for the more performance folks.

SO yeah an Avalon and a Mark X can co-exist. =)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The Crown is still listed as a concept at Toyota's site, so perhaps they're researching a return for a RWD vehicle in the Toyota lineup. Marketing the Avalon to older people, and the Crown to a younger crowd makes sense to me.

The Crown Athlete in Japan was recently refreshed, and now includes the 2GR-FSE found in the IS350. The Crown Royal did not receive the engine, but instead, uses the 3GR and 4GR (3.0L, 2.5L, respectively).

·
Registered
187 Posts
A RWD sedan in the 20s would be a hit. Simple as that.

Either make it a cressida or a smaller IS to whomp the TSX since the Lexus/Toyota will be RWD!

Unfortunately, I see any of this as pretty unlikely :(

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
all in all, i think is a bad idea if they decide to bring cressida back to state side. We really don't need another segment for the avalon class (regardless of the drivetrain). Rather, i'd would personally want to see another car between corolla and camry (like maybe avenis??). That would be a better contended IMO to make toyota more money in the long run.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts